Want: A like/dislike or vote-up/down button on the GDB

Started by DustMight, October 31, 2011, 10:53:02 AM

So I don't have to actually publish a post, but can show support or not.

The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I dont normally have anything to say so Id like a button to show my nonverbal support for things.
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

The GDB software may (or may not) have tweaks from our local Zalanthan coders, but it comes from the simple machines forum. A quick google search shows that there might be plugins for like/dislikes, but the SMF website is currently not loading for me (perhaps they're having DNS issues, too).
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Hell no, it'll give people a chance to know my posting's crap without actually reading said crap

Quote from: Marauder Moe on October 31, 2011, 07:51:08 PM
I have no strong opinion one way or another.

As long as there's a 'meh' button, I'm for it.

Clicking a 'meh' button immediately invalidates the message one would be trying to convey. :P

I feel meh about the idea. Wouldn't mind it if it was there. Don't care too much that it currently isn't.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on October 31, 2011, 10:55:10 AM

To elaborate, I forsee this leading to people downvoting posts without being prepared to express a real opinion.  everything2 had downvotes once and eventually got rid of them; Facebook, bless their hearts, never had them and was right not to.

I'm okay with a Like/+1 button, if we really must. :D
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Can we have a 'STFU you dirty little Nazi/Communist/fascist/hippie' button too?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

^

...doesn't have quite the same effectiveness it used to.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

This isn't Reddit.

Reddit is a silly place.
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal and Pancakes.

Quote from: TOOL on November 01, 2011, 02:18:12 PM
This isn't Reddit.

Reddit is a silly place.

Reddit is a very silly place. It's fun for a few months, and then all the bullshit attitude starts ruining it.

I remember when it wasn't like that! It was primarily a repository of Interesting Stuff, not just memes and lols.

I want a button where I can like or dislike posters and threads in addition to just posts. I will use this button to take over the world!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: lordcooper on November 02, 2011, 03:11:58 AM
This isn't Reddit.

Reddit is a silly place.

Quote from: Delirium on November 02, 2011, 09:04:08 AM
Reddit is a very silly place. It's fun for a few months, and then all the bullshit attitude starts ruining it.

I remember when it wasn't like that! It was primarily a repository of Interesting Stuff, not just memes and lols.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I can't browse reddit now unless I'm logged in and looking at a subreddit that interests me.

r/philosophy, r/starcraft, r/hardware, r/linux... yeah, nerding out.

Quote from: TOOL on November 02, 2011, 01:36:19 PM
This isn't Reddit.

Reddit is a silly place.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I can't browse reddit now unless I'm logged in and looking at a subreddit that interests me.

Quote from: lordcooper on November 02, 2011, 01:58:37 PM
Quote from: TOOL on November 02, 2011, 01:36:19 PM
This isn't Reddit.

Reddit is a silly place.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I can't browse reddit now unless I'm logged in and looking at a subreddit that interests me.

(Double down?)

Do not want. I prefer posters to actually use words and lay out their reasoning for liking or disliking things. It's part of being part of our community, not just a drive-by opinion-giver.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Thanks for reminding me I can use adblock to block stupid/annoying avatars, too.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Intentional derailing is considered trolling.  Moved something out of here.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Unnecessary.

I don't care how many people like/dislike every post, I'd rather formulate my own opinions based on what's being said, not on how many people like it.

Also, I'd rather not have this GDB be more like Facebook.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 02, 2011, 03:00:10 PM
a drive-by opinion-giver.

This is now my favourite phrase of the month, and I thank you for it.

I'm too tired to have anything useful to add to this, or any other thread. Don't give me a like/dislike button, I would twink it when I'm tired.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 02, 2011, 03:00:10 PM
Do not want. I prefer posters to actually use words and lay out their reasoning for liking or disliking things. It's part of being part of our community, not just a drive-by opinion-giver.

Say (in his best Teal'c voice) Indeed.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.