Analyze (novice)

Started by Necro, October 14, 2011, 08:56:03 PM

Does this skill fail and go up in a traditional manner? Will I be forever a novice analyst?

October 15, 2011, 03:25:16 AM #1 Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 05:19:35 AM by Taven
Quotehelp analyze
Skill Analyze                                                    (Crafting)

This command allows a person to examine an object and attempt to
decipher what materials went into its creation. It is useful in taking a
finished product and breaking down its components, so one could make
another like it. This is a timely undertaking, as much studying of the
object is needed as well as a knowledge of the skill employed in crafting
it.

Analyze will yield one of the five following results:

An uncraftable item
     (you get no echo at all)

An item you don't have the coded skill to make.
     (You don't know how that's made)

An item you have the skill to craft.
     (a list of the products you need to craft it)

Items you can make, but your skill is not yet high enough.
     (you're unsure how that's made)

Items you can't make, because they are clan specific.
     (you do not recognize its craftsmanship)

Syntax:
  analyze <object>

Bolded the relevant portion. When in doubt, always check the helpfiles. There's a lot of information in there.  :)

Edited to add: The portion I bolded likely refers to your crafting skill, NOT your analyze skill and thus is of no use in this discussion.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

You know, in all my years, I've never had that skill improve.
course it has never been high on my list.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

October 15, 2011, 03:47:27 AM #3 Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 03:49:20 AM by musashi
I think that bolded section pulled from the helpfiles ... is referring to your crafting skill not being high enough to tell what the item is made of. Not your analyze skill. I don't think the analyze skill goes up. But then again, what do I know  ::)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on October 15, 2011, 03:47:27 AM
I think that bolded section pulled from the helpfiles ... is referring to your crafting skill not being high enough to tell what the item is made of. Not your analyze skill. I don't think the analyze skill goes up. But then again, what do I know  ::)

I looked at the helpfile again, and I think you're right. I am also now of the belief that the analyze skill doesn't go up.

This is me admitting that I was wrong.  ;D
(please don't toss me in the spiky bug pit now)
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

I believe that it doesn't raise up, rather it's as useful as it's ever going to be, at novice. Your ability to analyze an object is based on your crafting skill related to that object, as Taven pointed out.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Maybe analyze should be removed from the skills list and simply treated as a generic command, if all PCs have it and it can't fail and skill level is irrelevant.

Quote from: Talia on October 15, 2011, 05:39:12 PM
I believe that it doesn't raise up, rather it's as useful as it's ever going to be, at novice. Your ability to analyze an object is based on your crafting skill related to that object, as Taven Musashi pointed out.

>:(

Quote from: Talia on October 15, 2011, 05:39:12 PM
I believe that it doesn't raise up, rather it's as useful as it's ever going to be, at novice. Your ability to analyze an object is based on your crafting skill related to that object, as Taven pointed out.
So it's like the practical joke for skill twinks.

"AHAH! You can't EVER TOTALLY SKILLMAX!"

Except that if it's capped at novice, you've maxed it already.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: Wolfsong on October 16, 2011, 05:17:39 PM
But the skill level code is relative to the highest skill level available between guilds. It'd read master if this was true :(

So like, what about brew? Is that ever going to go up? Making tablets doesn't seem to affect it.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

October 17, 2011, 05:52:21 AM #12 Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:56:32 AM by bcw81
You might want to try:

>Analyze soap

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Case on October 16, 2011, 05:24:56 PM
Quote from: Wolfsong on October 16, 2011, 05:17:39 PM
But the skill level code is relative to the highest skill level available between guilds. It'd read master if this was true :(

But you've also got it at the lowest level that any guild can have it, so it should be at novice.

Or maybe... Mastavice?

I think that the point is that the level of this skill is completely irrelevant.  You have it, it doesn't need to go up.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Just wait till April Fools and check it. It'll be super fly then.

Hell no, my Analyze will just be the bee's knees.