Cursing and slang!

Started by Karieith, September 22, 2011, 02:15:07 PM

October 05, 2011, 05:40:37 AM #50 Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:43:29 AM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: John on October 05, 2011, 03:54:48 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 04, 2011, 05:12:37 AM
Quote from: John on October 04, 2011, 05:01:31 AM
Quote from: Whiran LuckIt's insulting not because 'whore' is an insult, but moreso in the way that it implies that the insultee would be better suited making a living on their back (which also implies a lack of talent, finesse, intelligence)
In that case shouldn't being called a grebber be worse then being called a whore? After all not only do they lack talent, finesse and intelligence, they're also so ugly they can't even make it as a whore. Same thing could be said for mercenary or hunter (although these at least have some talent. Then again, they're butt-fuck ugly whereas a whore has to at least be passable).

I dunno man.

It at least takes guts to go out into the hot desert full of nasty critters to greb and hunt.

Not so much as a whore.... And yeah, there have been some uuuuuuugly ones.
It takes a ton of guts to walk into a room alone with someone, take off all your armour and then lie down for them. They could kill you at any moment.

Whore scenario: "Oh... 'Sup pretty f-me. I see you're gonna have sex with this guy that has no real reason to off you. I mean... He -might-, possibly, maybe, but I doubt it... Have fun."
Hunter/grebber scenario: "You do realize there are rogue 'gickers and raptors and mekillots out there, and that the cities won't be able to protect you... Right?"

Either way, I'd take "whore" as more of an insult.

But therein, it all depends on who you are.

An indie hunter might not take "grebber" as some grievous attack on his person, whereas a loyal aide might spit nails after being called something so low and common.

Just as a concubine might throw a fit if called a "whore".

Best choose your insults wisely, as they're not universal.

"Melon fucker!"
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: John on October 04, 2011, 05:01:31 AM
Quote from: Whiran LuckIt's insulting not because 'whore' is an insult, but moreso in the way that it implies that the insultee would be better suited making a living on their back (which also implies a lack of talent, finesse, intelligence)
In that case shouldn't being called a grebber be worse then being called a whore? After all not only do they lack talent, finesse and intelligence, they're also so ugly they can't even make it as a whore. Same thing could be said for mercenary or hunter (although these at least have some talent. Then again, they're butt-fuck ugly whereas a whore has to at least be passable).

As far as 'grebbing' (quotation marks because I fucking hate that term and whoever coined it and made it popular should die) goes, finding things is actually considered a skill.  I.e. someone makes their living going outside the city and finding things that the average joe citizen will not likely run across unless as a finished product.  Think of it as a coal miner.  Yes, you can look down on it, but it's not considered dishonest or unskilled labor.

She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on October 06, 2011, 05:50:20 PM'grebbing' (quotation marks because I fucking hate that term and whoever coined it and made it popular should die)

Blame a Kuraci NPC in Luir's, I'm pretty sure. :P

Wow. I always thought greb/grebber were real words.

Quote from: Yam on October 07, 2011, 01:34:14 AM
Wow. I always thought greb/grebber were real words.

Me too, but I was too lazy to look them up.

It is possible you are all thinking of the term "grep", from the olden days of UNIX/Linux (and some present day, depending on the situation)

Grep was a search utility, through the command line, so if you're grepping, you're searching for something.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Delirium on October 06, 2011, 06:00:06 PM
Quote from: Armaddict on October 06, 2011, 05:50:20 PM'grebbing' (quotation marks because I fucking hate that term and whoever coined it and made it popular should die)

Blame a Kuraci NPC in Luir's, I'm pretty sure. :P

I love that.  Grebbing, grebber with a bag full of greb.  =)

Dripping Gash - a good looking female
Axe wound - an ugly or unfavorable female
both being references to anatomy

Quote from: muddy on November 21, 2011, 12:57:07 PM

Too sexist maybe?  Certainly not eloquent.
Maybe I'm RL to sensitive.   :D

Quote from: DustMight on November 21, 2011, 01:03:21 PM

I agree.  I don't think to be Zalanthan just means to be as crass and offensive as possible.  There is no misogyny in Zalanthas--it just isn't part of the setting.  Don't hunt for excuses to use sexist insults straight from the high schools of Earth; go creatively world-appropriate instead.  I'm more talking about things like "pussy" and "bitch", which scream noob and remind me of X-Box Live chat. 

Presuming there were also corresponding terms for males, muddy's terms could actually be world-appropriate.  Objectification and exploitation of other humanoid beings is very Zalanthan, so the cultural context certainly exists for this kind of sexualized objectification, but in Zalanthas, it has to be gender-neutral.  In game, of course, even if there were terms like this for men, we all know which ones are going to be getting more use, and that it's going to be driven by RL sexism.

Quote from: catchall on November 21, 2011, 10:45:40 PM
Quote from: DustMight on November 21, 2011, 01:03:21 PM

I agree.  I don't think to be Zalanthan just means to be as crass and offensive as possible.  There is no misogyny in Zalanthas--it just isn't part of the setting.  Don't hunt for excuses to use sexist insults straight from the high schools of Earth; go creatively world-appropriate instead.  I'm more talking about things like "pussy" and "bitch", which scream noob and remind me of X-Box Live chat. 

Presuming there were also corresponding terms for males, muddy's terms could actually be world-appropriate.  Objectification and exploitation of other humanoid beings is very Zalanthan, so the cultural context certainly exists for this kind of sexualized objectification, but in Zalanthas, it has to be gender-neutral.  In game, of course, even if there were terms like this for men, we all know which ones are going to be getting more use, and that it's going to be driven by RL sexism.

Oh, okay maybe I missed that in the documentation that I read. Everyone in Zalanthas is gender-neutral in their out look on life and treatment of others? It would seem to me that any world where life is tough, all kinds of discrimination and vulgarity would occur.
I heard a boss use the terms in Rl as a younger man and thought they were some of the harshest I had heard (I did laugh as I was a messed up sort of young man).
I thought in Zalanthas they would fit great as having gashes and axe wounds would be a common thing.

Quote from: muddy on November 22, 2011, 12:58:24 PM
Oh, okay maybe I missed that in the documentation that I read. Everyone in Zalanthas is gender-neutral in their out look on life and treatment of others? It would seem to me that any world where life is tough, all kinds of discrimination and vulgarity would occur.

Yes, there is no general concept of sexism in Zalanthas. You did miss that in the documentation. You're free to play a character who is aberrantly sexist, but the other characters around yours will react as if s/he is insane. There is also no discrimination or privilege based on skin color in Zalanthas.

So you're incorrect in your belief that "all kinds of discrimination and vulgarity would occur" in Zalanthas.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

All that said - one could insult one sex male or female by comparing them to another race - since there is that racial thing going on.  So comparing a human's genitals to that of a dwarf/elf/jozhal might be interesting.  I mean - if we're hitting below the belt.

Quote from: DustMight on November 22, 2011, 01:48:31 PM
All that said - one could insult one sex male or female by comparing them to another race - since there is that racial thing going on.  So comparing a human's genitals to that of a dwarf/elf/jozhal might be interesting.  I mean - if we're hitting below the belt.

You stump-brained mul-balled jozhal-penis'd... MORON!

Right?
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: Talia on November 22, 2011, 01:05:41 PM
Quote from: muddy on November 22, 2011, 12:58:24 PM

Yes, there is no general concept of sexism in Zalanthas. You did miss that in the documentation. You're free to play a character who is aberrantly sexist, but the other characters around yours will react as if s/he is insane. There is also no discrimination or privilege based on skin color in Zalanthas.

So you're incorrect in your belief that "all kinds of discrimination and vulgarity would occur" in Zalanthas.

Okay, I hear you.
But I didn't say they would occur in Zalanthas, I had asked.
I said "any world" thinking more that any possible worlds  such things would occur, not saying that it would be good or bad in a MUD.

So I'm assuming anyone who says pussy means infected from now on.

What about body movements or gestures like giving someone the finger, acceptable or not?
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

I think it's fine.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Just refer to it as a 'strange' gesture.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I go for 'obscene' gestures. All the time.