Cursing and slang!

Started by Karieith, September 22, 2011, 02:15:07 PM

September 22, 2011, 02:15:07 PM Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 02:17:21 PM by Karieith
ADULT WORDS BELOW.

So I've seen fuck and shit and damn and cunt and bitch and whore. (I'm guessing extensions of that like trollop and strumpet are also acceptable)
Oh god? Oh man?

Would become "Oh Tek!" in Allanak, "Oh Muk" in Tuluk?
What does one call out during raunchy mudsex? :-\

There are no pine trees in Zalanthas, so I cannot pine for your manhood. Do I then agafari for it?

SHARE WITH ME YOUR SLANG so I can better fit in this world.

Zalanthans can still pine.  The origin of the word has nothing to do with trees and all to do with pain, something your average Zalanthan is very familiar with.
Formaldehyde, ArmageddonMUD, Storyteller to the Stars

pine
2    [pahyn] Show IPA verb, pined, pinĀ·ing, noun
verb (used without object)
to yearn deeply; suffer with longing; long painfully (often followed by for ): to pine for one's home and family.
to fail gradually in health or vitality from grief, regret, or longing (often followed by away ): Separated by their families, the lovers pined away.
Archaic . to be discontented; fret.
verb (used with object)
Archaic . to suffer grief or regret over.
noun
Archaic . painful longing.
Origin:
before 900; Middle English pinen  to torture, torment, inflict pain, be in pain; Old English pīnian  to torture, derivative of pīn  torture ( Middle English pine ) < Late Latin pēna, Latin poena  punishment. See pain
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Fomalhaut on September 22, 2011, 02:19:08 PM
Zalanthans can still pine.  The origin of the word has nothing to do with trees and all to do with pain, something your average Zalanthan is very familiar with.

I never knew this.  My PC was going to use the word but I realized it may refer to the tree.  Now I know!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

This desert owl isn't dead! It's pining for the chasms. -- Common Arabeti sales phrase

Quote from: Karieith on September 22, 2011, 02:15:07 PM
ADULT WORDS BELOW.

So I've seen fuck and shit and damn and cunt and bitch and whore. (I'm guessing extensions of that like trollop and strumpet are also acceptable)
Oh god? Oh man?

Would become "Oh Tek!" in Allanak, "Oh Muk" in Tuluk?
What does one call out during raunchy mudsex? :-\

There are no pine trees in Zalanthas, so I cannot pine for your manhood. Do I then agafari for it?

SHARE WITH ME YOUR SLANG so I can better fit in this world.

Cunt, whore and derivatives don't fit so well. There's no societal stigma to back it up. Whore is a job description, bastard carries with it the prestige of a family where marriage actually happens.

Feck ('feck this'), kank (have sex with - not that you necessarily know what a kank was anymore), gortok or 'tok (bitch or son thereof - northernly), krath/krath damn it ... have served me. For mudsex? I'd go with krath.

Don't use a god-king unless you're actually in bed with them. They're people, and they rule your miserable little life.

Racial slurs: Sharp, sharpear, necker (filthy or dirty, particularly), halfear, roundear, stump, breed, biter/anklebiter (halflings...), gith.

Balls!

say (tone hushed as the lanky man's axe cleaves through the short, stumpy dwarf's chest) Balls...

say (slamming a fist down on ~table, the wineglass shattering in ^me grip) Balls you did!  I'll kill you!

talk (groaning and wrapping ^me arms around %you taut, muscular back) Baaaaallllssss....

So flexible.

Curses                                                          (Character)

A variety of expressive perjorative terms exists on Zalanthas, with
every culture contributing its own, ranging from the mild to the
outrageous.  You should feel free to have your character make up his or her
own terms, but some commonly known ones are included here for easy
reference.

Drov - Hell.  e.g. What the Drov just happened here?

Feck - same as fuck.

Green - Used in military organizations as a mildly offensive term for a
new recruit that doesn't know what they're doing.

Kank-Fucker - Similar to mother fucker.

Bitch - A female gortok.

Krath - Pretty much means God.

Highlord - Used by people who live in Allanak. Means God.

Sharpear/Longneck/Skinny/Slant-eye - Mildly offensive names for elves.

Roundear - Offensive term for humans that elves use when they want to
piss humans off. They probably have lots of other names they
use privately.

Stumpy/Stubby/Shorty/Baldy - Quasi-offensive derogative for dwarves.

Sands - Similar to 'Zoinks!'

Sewer Horror - Something horrible that lives in the sewers.
e.g. Prove your mother's not a feral sewer horror!

Falish - Used to describe something/someone that is flamboyant.
e.g. Those pants make you look awefully Falish.

Tighter than a Templar's asshole - Used to describe something that is
stuck, or closed shut, or secure.

Hung like an Inix - See help Inix for more details.

Hellpits of Suk-Krath - Hell.

Send <the person's name> to Drov - kill them.  e.g. Send Bom to Drov

Utep's teeth - Mildly offensive curse. Could be used when told
something bad.

Utep's balls - Same as Utep's teeth, only a lot more offensive. A
favourite in Allanak.

Tek's Balls - See Utep's Balls.

Tek's whiskers - See Utep's teeth.

Son of a Gortok - Same as son of a bitch.

Tek's teat!

I use this one because I like implying that Tektolnes has a wicked rack.

"Tek's tits" is a favorite of my rinthers.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Tek Yeah, this thread is awesome.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Cunt, whore and derivatives don't fit so well. There's no societal stigma to back it up. Whore is a job description, bastard carries with it the prestige of a family where marriage actually happens.

I disagree about them having no social stigma. 

One shouldn't call a noble's concubine "whore".  Likewise, using the term "two-sid whore" has a very bad connotation. 

Cun* I see as low-class/ byn talk.  One wouldn't address an important aide or officer as such w/o meaning offense. 

And bastards... it gets complicated.  Mainly because it means the person is of mixed blood (nobility wise) and commoners don't have a good enough understanding of nobility to know what "prestige" is given.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I think using bastard as an insult comes with its own problems.

In Allanak, it might actually be a compliment if the person understands what's being said.
In Tuluk, you're implying something happened that shouldn't have.

I wonder if it would be too cumbersome to call a northerner a 'nakki bastard and call a southerner a Tuluki bastard?

Quote from: My 2 sids on September 23, 2011, 06:36:22 AM

I disagree about them having no social stigma. 

One shouldn't call a noble's concubine "whore".  Likewise, using the term "two-sid whore" has a very bad connotation. 

Cun* I see as low-class/ byn talk.  One wouldn't address an important aide or officer as such w/o meaning offense. 

And bastards... it gets complicated.  Mainly because it means the person is of mixed blood (nobility wise) and commoners don't have a good enough understanding of nobility to know what "prestige" is given.

Okay, there is a social stigma - but it is different.

Allanaki Nobility - "Nobles do not marry commoners. It is unthinkable, and a monstrous violation of social protocols. Children of such alliances often become servants of the House - since they have been raised within a House, they know its ways, nuances and history better than most, and often these bastard children will rise to positions of status and authority among the other servants."

Tuluki Nobility - doesn't happen.

Merchant Houses - marriage help file - "Merchant houses also form formalized unions though these are not recognized as marriage contracts. The contracts are often identical to a marriage contract, they are also registered with city state, the difference is that because the parties involved are not noble, the union is not called a marriage."

Therefore, a bastard has either a merchant house family bloodline or a bit of noble blood, and generally speaking this should make them better, not worse than you.  ;) For specifics I suppose you would have to consult an expert.

Quote from: Cutthroat on September 23, 2011, 09:24:54 AM

In Allanak, it might actually be a compliment if the person understands what's being said.

I wonder if it would be too cumbersome to call a northerner a 'nakki bastard and call a southerner a Tuluki bastard?

You can have merchant house bastards. Their contracts are close enough to marriage for it.

September 23, 2011, 09:41:47 AM #16 Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:47:23 AM by Face Dancer
In terms of slang, in Tuluk I've referred to obsidian coins, which are all from Allanak, as "Tyrant Scales," or just "Scales" for short.  I've used the term in the same way that one might refer to American dollars as greenbacks or bucks, or Canadian dollars as loonies.  

To me, using that terminology in Tuluk helps to reinforce three things:

1) The Tuluki hatred of Tektolnes as the tyrant that ruled Tuluk during the 40 years of Allanakki occupation.
2) The popular Tuluki notion that Tektolnes is a grotesquely scaled freak-show while the Tuluki God-King Muk Utep is a sexy piece of chiseled man with long, flowing crimson locks who belongs on the covers of romance novels.
3) The snarky Tuluki attitude of, "Yah, we'll use your currency Allanak, sure, but we'll casually put you down while we do it."
The wise man molds himself.  The fool only lives to die.
-Zensunni saying

Quote from: Kalai on September 23, 2011, 09:30:28 AM
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 23, 2011, 09:24:54 AM

You can have merchant house bastards. Their contracts are close enough to marriage for it.

True enough.

I'd say if you're going to insult someone's parentage, you may as well go for the throat, though, rather than imply one of a number of possible relationships.

Example:
"You unwholesome spawn of a spiced Kuraci and a Labyrinth elf."

I think my favorite curse I've heard is Gwoshi Fucker.
Czar of City Elves.

I've not heard many good curses, I have heard some really good insults.

You are lower then a breed rinth whores afterbirth.

Yes, Some of you are actually creative on that sort of thing.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

September 23, 2011, 07:49:20 PM #21 Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:50:51 PM by Is Friday
I tend to use a lot of the "standard" American name calling such as retard, asshole, bitch, pussy, etc. The only vaguely Zalanthan term I use is whoreslime, which I randomly invented at some point. I'm not sure why, but I always feel like my characters curse truthfully to their given situations--so I'm happy with the way I do business.

edit to add:
Nonhumans of course get called by their bastardized terms, and 'lukis get called all manner of things.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I'm not sure if she coined it, but one of my favourite Fale Nobles always said "jozhalballs".

Quote from: John on September 23, 2011, 12:07:21 AM

While the curses threads come up every now and again, I wanted to take the opportunity to say that I *really dislike* "Falish," and have (thankfully) never heard anyone use it in-game. Am I the only one who finds it kind of... distasteful?
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Quote from: Samoa on September 23, 2011, 07:59:14 PM

While the curses threads come up every now and again, I wanted to take the opportunity to say that I *really dislike* "Falish," and have (thankfully) never heard anyone use it in-game. Am I the only one who finds it kind of... distasteful?

Maybe I'm missing the logic here. Aren't Fale generally flamboyant? Don't think I've ever heard it used in game either, but I'm just curious as to why you find it distasteful.

I use falish whenever I get the opportunity just because I want to.

P.S. I always pronounce it Fall-ish.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Rhyden on September 23, 2011, 08:53:56 PM

Maybe I'm missing the logic here. Aren't Fale generally flamboyant? Don't think I've ever heard it used in game either, but I'm just curious as to why you find it distasteful.

I'm willing to buy that I'm being hypersensitive, but to me it just reads like a cold shot of "haha, gay!" in a culture where that shouldn't ever really be seen. If we want to argue about -bastard- being a complimentary term, I'd feel like the same could be said of "someone who can afford to dress and act flamboyantly and throw enormous, socially significant parties."
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Quote from: Samoa on September 23, 2011, 09:48:33 PM

I'm willing to buy that I'm being hypersensitive, but to me it just reads like a cold shot of "haha, gay!" in a culture where that shouldn't ever really be seen. If we want to argue about -bastard- being a complimentary term, I'd feel like the same could be said of "someone who can afford to dress and act flamboyantly and throw enormous, socially significant parties."

There's no reason why Zalanthans would make the connection between flamboyancy and homosexuality. Whatever Fale does that is deserving of ridicule, it doesn't have anything to do with sexuality.

"Torish" gets used as an insult too, in an opposite sort of way. But I've never seen either used to imply anything about sexuality or gender identity. Looking Falish or acting Torish may or may not be appropriate for some characters at some times, but in certain contexts those are very valid insults.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on September 24, 2011, 11:12:07 AM
"Torish" gets used as an insult too...

Why do you hate donuts?  :'(
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Because it's associating a noble house with an insult for one.

Maybe among other nobles describing other nobles, that's fine.  Otherwise, who would ever have the authority to throw House Fale's name around like that?
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on September 24, 2011, 01:44:24 PM

Because it's associating a noble house with an insult for one.

Maybe among other nobles describing other nobles, that's fine.  Otherwise, who would ever have the authority to throw House Fale's name around like that?

Still, in Allanak flamboyancy isn't a general popular trend except with Fale Nobles. A lowly commoner dressed in silks could be considered Falish, and so could a flamboyant Sergeant of the Byn. I believe the root of this argument stems from the fact that "Falish" is under the curses helpfile. I believe it should be taken out, to rid the negative connotation associated with flamboyancy, but still believe it's a suitable descriptor. Then again, since myself nor Samoa have ever seen it used in game, I doubt it's really that big of an issue.

Also, I've seen the term "Bynnish" used before.

I don't believe the curse/slang suggestions are supposed to be Allanak-centric, and it's not simply curses but slang as well.

With that said, I personally think Falish is fine, and have never read a connotation of gay or sexuality into it, only that someone may be flamboyant, possibly past their means, or in a way that stands out, usually in an odd way, amongst their peers. I think of things like Falish and Torish as less derogatory (depending on where and how it's used) than just slang.

OK, then I'm going to assume I'm just being weirdly hypersensitive about it and it's fine. Glad I brought it up to get some other opinions :)
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---

I've always wanted to use pussy.. But seeing as how women arent really looked down upon in Zalanthas.. Dont see the point.
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

Quote from: askaran on September 26, 2011, 06:14:05 AM
I've always wanted to use pussy.. But seeing as how women arent really looked down upon in Zalanthas.. Dont see the point.
I've come up with a great reasoning for this to be justified with a few of my PCs. Think creatively, and you too can use these base insults to their maximum effect!
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

If anyone ever questions me for using pussy IC, I just say something along the lines of "Pussies are soft. You're soft. So you're a pussy. Pussy."

"Ohh, baby, pet my quirri."
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on September 26, 2011, 08:11:07 PM
"Ohh, baby, pet my quirri."
I am now hoping beyond hope to hear this around EVERY CORNER.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Don't forget purple-headed love dujat.

As to pussy, I don't think I've ever used that except to refer to vaginas. IN A MOST VULGAR FASHION.

I think the one I felt most "on the line" with was cock- and cuntbreath. It wasn't to imply that someone was gay and terrible for it, but that they spent an inordinate amount of time on their knees. Sort of an extra-offensive way of calling someone a weak-willed kiss-ass.

Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Kalai on September 22, 2011, 03:18:38 PM
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

Pussies are folks that just 'sit there and take it'.

Whore is an incredible insult for women or men aspiring to something prestigious but are missing the mark of fashion in any given region--i.e. dressing like a whore.

It still doesn't make sense in Arm context, since higher class, or even normal class prostitutes would tend to dress more fashionably to attract their clients, and in most of the 'nicer' places in game that have them, they're generally dressed well.

Now, 'Rinthi whore is something else.

I could also see whore as an insult when applied to someone whose profession involves skills outside of the bedroom. It's insulting not because 'whore' is an insult, but moreso in the way that it implies that the insultee would be better suited making a living on their back (which also implies a lack of talent, finesse, intelligence) than whatever profession they're touting themselves as, as opposed to them being someone who sleeps around for money. As in 'You'd make a better whore than you would a soldier.'

Quote from: Whiran Luck on September 30, 2011, 09:10:27 PM
It still doesn't make sense in Arm context, since higher class, or even normal class prostitutes would tend to dress more fashionably to attract their clients, and in most of the 'nicer' places in game that have them, they're generally dressed well.

Can we make the distintion between whores and say, geishas?   Concubines -- sure, give them fashion/ culture/ etc. because they play a role in society.   Whores -- they're simply selling what's between their legs.   
** this would make for some helpful documentation, actually

I could also see whore as an insult when applied to someone whose profession involves skills outside of the bedroom. It's insulting not because 'whore' is an insult, but moreso in the way that it implies that the insultee would be better suited making a living on their back (which also implies a lack of talent, finesse, intelligence) than whatever profession they're touting themselves as, as opposed to them being someone who sleeps around for money. As in 'You'd make a better whore than you would a soldier.'

Exactly.  Whoring is the same as grubbing or digging holes -- it's simply a physical task that isn't associated with any knowledge or skill.

"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

October 01, 2011, 12:52:10 AM #44 Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 12:54:38 AM by Whiran Luck
The thing is, I'm not talking about concubines. Concubines are something completely different. I'm talking about whores. Prostitutes. Hookers. Sure. There are fillthy, gritty disgusting ones who charge a couple sid a hookup. There are rinthi whores who are diseased and even more filthy and disgusting. But many of the normal NPCs who are whores are actually dressed normal to nicely. And there are super expensive and picky ones (in the minority) who are probably dressed as nicely as concubines and with the jewels to match, who count the upper crust of wherever it's allowable as their clientele.

However I'm going to assume the majority are probably just your average joe commoner who is getting by. A whore would attract their clients and coin through their appearance (desirability) and word of mouth (performance). So I'm just going by the assumption that a whore by profession and trade would likely dress a -little- better than your average grebber, if only to make visiting them more worthwhile to that average grebber. Same as a mercenary. Why would someone hire a mercenary as a guard if they didn't have a sword or armor?

Anyways, I certainly don't mean a kept companion (which is essentially a concubine and who has some pretty high expectations of behavior and social nicety). I really mean just plain old whore. And I still don't see it as an insult where such a profession has no social stigma attached to it. It would be equivalent to insulting someone by calling them a soldier, or a farmer. It -could- be insulting in specific situations, but overall, it bears no undesirable stigma to be insulting.

Addendum, because my internet client is being a bitch: By nicer, I don't mean noble-nice. By 'nicer' I mean places that are open to the public, employ whores, have whore NPCs and generally whore-related atmospheric emotes. They're not exactly destitute.

Quote from: Whiran LuckIt's insulting not because 'whore' is an insult, but moreso in the way that it implies that the insultee would be better suited making a living on their back (which also implies a lack of talent, finesse, intelligence)
In that case shouldn't being called a grebber be worse then being called a whore? After all not only do they lack talent, finesse and intelligence, they're also so ugly they can't even make it as a whore. Same thing could be said for mercenary or hunter (although these at least have some talent. Then again, they're butt-fuck ugly whereas a whore has to at least be passable).

Quote from: John on October 04, 2011, 05:01:31 AM
Quote from: Whiran LuckIt's insulting not because 'whore' is an insult, but moreso in the way that it implies that the insultee would be better suited making a living on their back (which also implies a lack of talent, finesse, intelligence)
In that case shouldn't being called a grebber be worse then being called a whore? After all not only do they lack talent, finesse and intelligence, they're also so ugly they can't even make it as a whore. Same thing could be said for mercenary or hunter (although these at least have some talent. Then again, they're butt-fuck ugly whereas a whore has to at least be passable).

I dunno man.

It at least takes guts to go out into the hot desert full of nasty critters to greb and hunt.

Not so much as a whore.... And yeah, there have been some uuuuuuugly ones.

Tuluki Muk sucker!
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 04, 2011, 05:12:37 AM

I dunno man.

It at least takes guts to go out into the hot desert full of nasty critters to greb and hunt.

It takes a ton of guts to walk into a room alone with someone, take off all your armour and then lie down for them. They could kill you at any moment.

October 05, 2011, 05:40:37 AM #50 Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:43:29 AM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: John on October 05, 2011, 03:54:48 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 04, 2011, 05:12:37 AM

I dunno man.

It takes a ton of guts to walk into a room alone with someone, take off all your armour and then lie down for them. They could kill you at any moment.

Whore scenario: "Oh... 'Sup pretty f-me. I see you're gonna have sex with this guy that has no real reason to off you. I mean... He -might-, possibly, maybe, but I doubt it... Have fun."
Hunter/grebber scenario: "You do realize there are rogue 'gickers and raptors and mekillots out there, and that the cities won't be able to protect you... Right?"

Either way, I'd take "whore" as more of an insult.

But therein, it all depends on who you are.

An indie hunter might not take "grebber" as some grievous attack on his person, whereas a loyal aide might spit nails after being called something so low and common.

Just as a concubine might throw a fit if called a "whore".

Best choose your insults wisely, as they're not universal.

"Melon fucker!"
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

As far as 'grebbing' (quotation marks because I fucking hate that term and whoever coined it and made it popular should die) goes, finding things is actually considered a skill.  I.e. someone makes their living going outside the city and finding things that the average joe citizen will not likely run across unless as a finished product.  Think of it as a coal miner.  Yes, you can look down on it, but it's not considered dishonest or unskilled labor.

She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on October 06, 2011, 05:50:20 PM'grebbing' (quotation marks because I fucking hate that term and whoever coined it and made it popular should die)

Blame a Kuraci NPC in Luir's, I'm pretty sure. :P

Wow. I always thought greb/grebber were real words.

Quote from: Yam on October 07, 2011, 01:34:14 AM
Wow. I always thought greb/grebber were real words.

Me too, but I was too lazy to look them up.

It is possible you are all thinking of the term "grep", from the olden days of UNIX/Linux (and some present day, depending on the situation)

Grep was a search utility, through the command line, so if you're grepping, you're searching for something.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Delirium on October 06, 2011, 06:00:06 PM
Quote from: Armaddict on October 06, 2011, 05:50:20 PM'grebbing' (quotation marks because I fucking hate that term and whoever coined it and made it popular should die)

Blame a Kuraci NPC in Luir's, I'm pretty sure. :P

I love that.  Grebbing, grebber with a bag full of greb.  =)

Dripping Gash - a good looking female
Axe wound - an ugly or unfavorable female
both being references to anatomy

Quote from: muddy on November 21, 2011, 12:57:07 PM

Too sexist maybe?  Certainly not eloquent.
Maybe I'm RL to sensitive.   :D

Quote from: DustMight on November 21, 2011, 01:03:21 PM

I agree.  I don't think to be Zalanthan just means to be as crass and offensive as possible.  There is no misogyny in Zalanthas--it just isn't part of the setting.  Don't hunt for excuses to use sexist insults straight from the high schools of Earth; go creatively world-appropriate instead.  I'm more talking about things like "pussy" and "bitch", which scream noob and remind me of X-Box Live chat. 

Presuming there were also corresponding terms for males, muddy's terms could actually be world-appropriate.  Objectification and exploitation of other humanoid beings is very Zalanthan, so the cultural context certainly exists for this kind of sexualized objectification, but in Zalanthas, it has to be gender-neutral.  In game, of course, even if there were terms like this for men, we all know which ones are going to be getting more use, and that it's going to be driven by RL sexism.

Quote from: catchall on November 21, 2011, 10:45:40 PM
Quote from: DustMight on November 21, 2011, 01:03:21 PM

I agree.  I don't think to be Zalanthan just means to be as crass and offensive as possible.  There is no misogyny in Zalanthas--it just isn't part of the setting.  Don't hunt for excuses to use sexist insults straight from the high schools of Earth; go creatively world-appropriate instead.  I'm more talking about things like "pussy" and "bitch", which scream noob and remind me of X-Box Live chat. 

Presuming there were also corresponding terms for males, muddy's terms could actually be world-appropriate.  Objectification and exploitation of other humanoid beings is very Zalanthan, so the cultural context certainly exists for this kind of sexualized objectification, but in Zalanthas, it has to be gender-neutral.  In game, of course, even if there were terms like this for men, we all know which ones are going to be getting more use, and that it's going to be driven by RL sexism.

Oh, okay maybe I missed that in the documentation that I read. Everyone in Zalanthas is gender-neutral in their out look on life and treatment of others? It would seem to me that any world where life is tough, all kinds of discrimination and vulgarity would occur.
I heard a boss use the terms in Rl as a younger man and thought they were some of the harshest I had heard (I did laugh as I was a messed up sort of young man).
I thought in Zalanthas they would fit great as having gashes and axe wounds would be a common thing.

Quote from: muddy on November 22, 2011, 12:58:24 PM
Oh, okay maybe I missed that in the documentation that I read. Everyone in Zalanthas is gender-neutral in their out look on life and treatment of others? It would seem to me that any world where life is tough, all kinds of discrimination and vulgarity would occur.

Yes, there is no general concept of sexism in Zalanthas. You did miss that in the documentation. You're free to play a character who is aberrantly sexist, but the other characters around yours will react as if s/he is insane. There is also no discrimination or privilege based on skin color in Zalanthas.

So you're incorrect in your belief that "all kinds of discrimination and vulgarity would occur" in Zalanthas.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

All that said - one could insult one sex male or female by comparing them to another race - since there is that racial thing going on.  So comparing a human's genitals to that of a dwarf/elf/jozhal might be interesting.  I mean - if we're hitting below the belt.

Quote from: DustMight on November 22, 2011, 01:48:31 PM
All that said - one could insult one sex male or female by comparing them to another race - since there is that racial thing going on.  So comparing a human's genitals to that of a dwarf/elf/jozhal might be interesting.  I mean - if we're hitting below the belt.

You stump-brained mul-balled jozhal-penis'd... MORON!

Right?
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: Talia on November 22, 2011, 01:05:41 PM
Quote from: muddy on November 22, 2011, 12:58:24 PM

Yes, there is no general concept of sexism in Zalanthas. You did miss that in the documentation. You're free to play a character who is aberrantly sexist, but the other characters around yours will react as if s/he is insane. There is also no discrimination or privilege based on skin color in Zalanthas.

So you're incorrect in your belief that "all kinds of discrimination and vulgarity would occur" in Zalanthas.

Okay, I hear you.
But I didn't say they would occur in Zalanthas, I had asked.
I said "any world" thinking more that any possible worlds  such things would occur, not saying that it would be good or bad in a MUD.

So I'm assuming anyone who says pussy means infected from now on.

What about body movements or gestures like giving someone the finger, acceptable or not?
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

I think it's fine.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Just refer to it as a 'strange' gesture.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I go for 'obscene' gestures. All the time.