But how does it taste?

Started by Karieith, September 22, 2011, 01:29:36 AM

Duskhorn, how does it taste?
Spice, how does it taste?
Synthesis, how does he taste?

In this thread we discuss what Zalanthan cuisine and wildlife might taste like.

Zalanthan Meats:
Taking the ruggedness of most Zalanthan game into consideration, I imagine most meat is tough, heavy and has a gamey aftertaste.

Zalanthan Fruits:
Again, Zalanthan fruits, in my mind, are meaty, with lots of pulp and pungent scents.

Zalanthan Spices:
Hey guys, I drank a mint tea today and it tasted like mint.

If it is not against the rules, (let me know I'm still sorting out the rules) post any flavor messages you get from eating/drinking various dishes. As a handful of Zalanthan cuisine has unique taste echos.

> taste me
He tastes like dust and sweat.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

While not strictly against the rules I think on the whole it'd be better NOT to post the taste messages here.  There are a number that are unique as you mentioned and like most things in the game it's just that much better when you get to experience it as part of gameplay.  Let's leave those little surprises so that people get a chance to discover them as they play.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

September 22, 2011, 01:49:00 AM #3 Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:52:01 AM by Karieith
> taste me
You can't find it.

Uhoh, I'm having an existential crisis.

Adhira, is it still okay to talk about taste taking messages that we've read in context of tastes without spoiling those messages? What're the limits here?

If I eat erdlu meat and get a taste message/echo telling me it tastes like chicken would it be OKAY for me to then acknowledge erdlu's chicken taste? Or should this just be a brainstorming post for those cuisines that do not already have taste echos?

If you notice some food or drink that doesn't have a taste message when you taste/sip it, you can always put in an "idea" in game on it.  There's no guarantee it would be added (nor any guarantee it would be added were you to post here, either), but it is the best way to suggest such things in absence of an official staff project to add them.

It would be a good idea to avoid posting specific taste messages that you find in-game here.  You and other players (like me) that are interested in cuisine and the fun nature of it can experience that in-game, and if it is posted here, it will spoil that experience.  The entirety of the game is text-based, and it requires the imagination.  In a lot of cases, enjoyment of the game relies on the experience of not knowing what it is that will happen next, or what "this" will do when you pair it with "that."  If you post things that could otherwise be found out in-game or in-character--and if those things posted are not things you really should know or have to know as a PC--then it can cheapen the overall experience one might find in-game on their own, whether the player be a newbie or veteran.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

September 22, 2011, 12:32:48 PM #5 Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:54:35 PM by Nyr
I can respect that, at this point I just want to know what other people's thoughts are on what certain animals MIGHT taste like. I do not want to ruin anyone's game experience.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have been told by people who raise food cattle that the meat gains a flavor that reflects the environment and diet of the animal. Which is why we have things like foie gras in the real world. Having hunted elk, moose and deer with varying degrees of success at times I can conclude that wild animals are much the same. I am no Andrew Zimmern, but I've eaten some interesting things in my life. However, what something tastes like to ME may not necessarily = what it tastes like to YOU. IE: I hate cole slaw. In closing, I'm a rather lazy foodie, this topic is relevant to my interests. With this in mind, I go down the animal list:

list edited by Nyr, please do not post these sorts of things.  Thanks!

As mentioned a couple times now, we'd really rather you not do this.  It's great that you are interested in it, but it should be left in-game (as some--maybe most?--of it already is). 

What they might taste like or what you think they should taste like doesn't really matter--they do (or should) taste like something.  That something may or may not be like what you think it should taste like.  If you go to taste something from one of these animals and it has no taste, you can add an idea for a taste message based on what you feel it should taste like.  Otherwise, it already has a taste.  If you feel that the taste could probably be modified to be more in line, you can add an idea for that, too.

If those of us on staff say "we'd rather you not do this," or "it would be a good idea not to do this," it usually means "don't do that."  We're just trying to be polite about it.  :)  What you've done here is tell us that you know we asked for you not to post what things do taste like in game, so instead of that, you will post what things should taste like in-game.  It is a little different, but similar to asking what materials and objects go into certain recipes--then being told that you should not do so--and then posting what you think should go into certain recipes, even if you can't post what they really are.

I've moderated out your post and e-mailed it to you so you don't lose it.  You can use it privately for your own personal adventuring along your Zalanthan cuisine journey.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Erp, sorry, meant well just enthusiastic and curious.

TASTE ALL THE THINGS.

I've had more than a few foodie conversations in the game and you might be surprised by what you learn from talking to people (especially hunters, cooks, and people associated with Kadius and the nobility) about food. Most people associated with food in the game would love to talk about it. Go do it!

This crap tastes like shit!
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: Yam on October 09, 2011, 03:33:26 PM
I've had more than a few foodie conversations in the game and you might be surprised by what you learn from talking to people (especially hunters, cooks, and people associated with Kadius and the nobility) about food. Most people associated with food in the game would love to talk about it. Go do it!

LFG Foodies, no Warlocks allowed.

It all tastes like METAL GEAR

I always assumed that anything that looks like a bug tastes like lobster. Tough, gamey lobster flavored with newb-boots.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Chicken, duh.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: Morrolan on November 03, 2011, 11:22:17 PM
I always assumed that anything that looks like a bug tastes like lobster. Tough, gamey lobster flavored with newb-boots.

Now I want a butter sauce with my scrab steak.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Surf -and- turf!
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

I remember there being a thread discussing sugar and sweets awhile back and how all sweets were mostly honey and fruit based. Now I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure "candy" isn't common on Zalanthas. In fact I would venture that most commoners wouldn't even know the word candy if that word even exists at all... Which leads me to my question, what is an acceptable substitute for the term candyass on Zalanthas? Honeyass? Tek forbid... Sweetass?  ;D

November 12, 2011, 09:34:44 AM #17 Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:17:07 PM by evilcabbage
Quote from: thelinguring on November 12, 2011, 09:17:51 AM
I remember there being a thread discussing sugar and sweets awhile back and how all sweets were mostly honey and fruit based. Now I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure "candy" isn't common on Zalanthas. In fact I would venture that most commoners wouldn't even know the word candy if that word even exists at all... Which leads me to my question, what is an acceptable substitute for the term candyass on Zalanthas? Honeyass? Tek forbid... Sweetass?  ;D

Candy exists in the form of candy stuff, therefore "candyass" is good, but try "cabbageass" and see how insulted they get then.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

November 12, 2011, 11:41:51 AM #18 Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:46:14 AM by thelinguring
Quote from: evilcabbage on November 12, 2011, 09:34:44 AM
try "cabbageass" and see how insulted they get then.

I like it. And that first part might be something I should find out IG. Nix it maybe?

I'm pretty sure there's a shop in Allanak that sells nothing but candy items, so I doubt it would be a term commoners would be entirely unfamiliar with.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

"It tastes kind of like Tasty Wheat. Have you ever had Tasty Wheat before?"

Ha Alright, my bad. I forgot the candy stall. Can ya blame me?

Quote from: Erythil on October 28, 2011, 04:14:31 PM
It all tastes like METAL GEAR

Thank you for getting the reference.

Candy tastes like murder.

It tastes like boiled cabbage.