Magickal sub-guilds?

Started by Dresan, September 16, 2011, 04:19:48 PM

On the one hand, the RP opportunities of having a mundane that can can-trip seems endless and almost make me salivate with the potential new characters that can be made.

I wonder if this will increase or decrease the amount of magic we see in game though?

Perhaps the potential fun of a combination like this makes the question entirely moot, not to mention the ability for them to more effectively be part of society and hide/survive without needing magic. Heck even going the other way around and being a gemmer might not be so bad either after all running in and bashing a mage you think is unprepared might have new funny consequences.

I guess it will all depend on how much the magickal sub-guilds cost in the end. Not too much i hope.  :-[

I'm always for less people knowing what guild a person is using.

Might make for more low end magick. But less high end magick.

Not to mention...as already said, Makes guild sniffing ALOT riskier...Is he really a newb mage or is he a 90 day UBER DOOM WARRIOR THAT WILL EAT YOUR FACE that knows a few spells...Hhhmmmmm.

Course, More low end and less high end magick actually fits with the docs better. Since there is a section that says, Many people work to learn a spell or two.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Think the real question is - will they be required to take the gem.

Guess we just have to wait and see.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on September 16, 2011, 04:31:59 PM

I'm 101.5% sure that they will be.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I'm having a hard time seeing how magickal subguilds that aren't sorcerers would fit into today's gameworld & code.

So probably no gems. Mostly death.

If they're elementalists, definitely gems. A wiggler's a wiggler. Unless they're a sorc. Then they should die.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 16, 2011, 04:34:59 PM

You totally stole my line. Imposter!

Quote from: Delirium on September 16, 2011, 04:36:53 PM
I'm having a hard time seeing how magickal subguilds that aren't sorcerers would fit into today's gameworld & code.

So probably no gems. Mostly death.

I've known of PCs who were only partly elementalists, a few times. They weren't sorcerors. I think this is probably just something that hasn't been fully represented in the code previously, even though it's been part of the gameworld.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 16, 2011, 04:34:59 PM

I agree with Brytta. I don`t think anything will change RP wise in terms of how the world view mages, basically if you can cast even a single spell you are a mage, regardless of your other talents. With the exception being how powerful organizations treat these guys, i could see some GMH knowingly keep some of these guys around due to their exceptional talents.

Seriously i`m almost salivating with the potential of these combinations.

Think the real question is - will they be required to take a lirapet to the face.

ftfy

I wonder if you could take a magical subguild with a magicker main guild... Half-breed Drovian-Krathi. Internal conflict forever.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

It's fun to think about.  From the direction that I've seen the game go over the last few years, I doubt it would happen outside of a special application.

I could see component crafting subguilds and maybe some innate sense guilds that mimic spells. An innate sight to detect invisibility for example. I think some expanded psionic powers would be way sweeter than magicker subguilds.

But I don't think spells would work if it isn't sorcery.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

subguild to see if someone is a gicker or not. all you need.
Czar of City Elves.

I'm also excited about the mix-matchery aspect and the new latent fear that EVERYONE could suddenly toss a spell out. My hope is that this in fact leads to even LESS acceptance of magick use and fear of being discovered means people would use it privately and almost with shame if they weren't a full out elementalist.

My guess is that if they aren't a main guild elementalist then their magick is "True Magick" and there would entail them "gathering" frmo themselves or the land to recharge... This would be AWESOME because even if the uber warrior can cast "detect invis" now, his ass will be toast if someone sees him gathering.

My other thought is that the world will INSTANTLY wither away to nothing as the entire playbase suddenly 'gathers 50 land' whenever they want..

Yay ash!  ;D

Having elementalist subguilds seems fine to me, just with limited potential like any other subguild.  What's to stop a woman with 'rukkian blood' or whatever from forsaking their gifts and training as a warrior instead, able to throw only one or two spells around?

The Templarate. ^^
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Jingo on September 16, 2011, 07:51:36 PM
But I don't think spells would work if it isn't sorcery.

I disagree. It's the same idea as an elementalist, they've just been touched with less of their element. A Vivaduan will be a Vivaduan regardless of if they can only make water, or also do advanced spells that involve sacrificing babies. They'll still need a gem, because they're magick. They'll still be looked down at/feared/hated because they're magick. They might even be hated by other magickers, because they're more normal, or looked down upon, since they will never achieve the same level of power.

The only real change this makes is that guild sniffing becomes a lot harder (be it for Oash to hire the damn things so they can reach full potential, or for other organizations to figure out what they are by what skills they lack).

Quote from: Jingo on September 16, 2011, 07:51:36 PMI think some expanded psionic powers would be way sweeter than magicker subguilds.

That might be cool, if it was set an an appropriate Karma/CGP level. However, I'd think that ANYONE with any powers past "contact," "barrier," and "expel" would be considered just as bad and evil as a full psi. Your normal person is not going to realize there is any difference.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Can I please have a magickal subguild that will allow me to poof glitter out of my fingertips?

Thanks a bunch,
Bards Everywhere
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Taven on September 16, 2011, 09:45:54 PM
It's the same idea as an elementalist, they've just been touched with less of their element.

Or you could play it as a--as far as anybody will ever know--full-potentialed elementalist who simply chose to spend all his time warrioring/rangering/making baskets.  It's reasonable to suppose that there are a lot of such folks in the Elementalists' Quarter: they're cursed and marked and segregated, but they keep up their old life and trade as much as possible.

In the current world of Zalanthas, I don't think suddenly throwing in magickal subguilds would end very well - for anyone.

Maybe something for ARM 2.0, when everything's changed and everyone isn't in any one-set mentality about magick.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Holy moley; you know what's more interesting than magickal sub-guilds?

Quote from: http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,41934.0.htmlExtended subguilds include options such as "Master Tailor" which will allow a character to excel in the area of tailoring, including producing work at a mastercraft levell.  For the more adventurous Cutpurse or Master of Defense might be more applicable.  Subguilds will be available for those who wish to trade, craft, fight, roam or follow a path to magick.

Mundane subguilds with shield use, parry, or weapon skills.  Put that in your 'gicker and smoke it.  Things is gettin' mixed up good.

I don't remember ever hearing an official "If you are touched by Vivadu, you will always have a full branched skill list and have the same spells available to you, no matter if you're PC, NPC, or vNPC."

I think its reasonable that some people were only "lightly brushed" by Vivadu, or Ruk, or whatever, but still have more potential in weaving baskets.

After all, thats what guild/subguild is. One is something you were born capable of doing, as Mario is a Plumber. The other is something you've worked hard to do, but would likely never master, as Joe the Plumber is a Plumber*.

* - Kudos to.... I think it was Shal that said that?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 16, 2011, 10:23:28 PM

Quote from: http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,41934.0.htmlExtended subguilds include options such as "Master Tailor" which will allow a character to excel in the area of tailoring, including producing work at a mastercraft levell.  For the more adventurous Cutpurse or Master of Defense might be more applicable.  Subguilds will be available for those who wish to trade, craft, fight, roam or follow a path to magick.

Mundane subguilds with shield use, parry, or weapon skills.  Put that in your 'gicker and smoke it.  Things is gettin' mixed up good.

yeah, a krathi who's also good in a straight fight, can't wait to see them running around

Quote from: spicemustflow on September 16, 2011, 11:35:28 PM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 16, 2011, 10:23:28 PM

yeah, a krathi who's also good in a straight fight, can't wait to see them running around

Who says you'll see them? They may get you before you see them......mabye a sub-guild with sneak.....
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."