How to Guide for Using Breeds (and how not to)

Started by FantasyWriter, September 10, 2011, 10:50:23 PM

Quote from: spicemustflow on October 05, 2011, 05:56:04 AM
I don't get why racist people IG would hate breeds more than the full blood members of their least favorite race.

Because it's societal upbringing.  A breed personifies one of the most stomach-turning, taboo events in Zan -- relations between elves and human, often rape  -- thus, it's easy for people to turn their rage against breeds.   Naturally, rather than address the issue of elven roles in society, or keeping folks safe from rape the Templarate keep peoples anger and expectation on the breeds.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I think people are afraid to make effect, in regards to anyone (breeds included) because folks will jump the pk trigger and whack your ass if they get the chance to do it.

That said, it's totally okay to piss on a breed sitting at the bar. I'm not saying I've done it, but go ahead!

Quote from: Saellyn on October 24, 2011, 02:10:18 PM
I think people are afraid to make effect, in regards to anyone (breeds included) because folks will jump the pk trigger and whack your ass if they get the chance to do it.

Agreed.  Every PC is connected in game -- there's no way just to "irritate" someone or just have a one-time issue because everything eventually snow-balls into PK-able offense.

So, as long as I want my PC alive -- they have to kiss ass with every gemmer/breed/'rinither out there

:-\

<this space for rent>

QuoteYeah, if you character is a wuss.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

My tip for breeds : don't read the boards.  Be ignorant of everything someone didn't tell you, including a few fringe facts in the docs.  This means a doing a lot of things without really knowing why, or the, "everyone else was doing it," syndrome.  Have nothing relevant to talk about except your own, pointless drivel, and you will have gone a long way to replicating the half-elven mindset.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Zoan on October 05, 2011, 01:38:27 AM
Quote from: Ender on October 04, 2011, 01:24:09 PM
Basically this.  Stop being an OOC wimp and cause some damn conflict.

If someone's playing a breed, give the player the benefit of the doubt and presume they WANT to be treated like a breed.

Uh. Who gives a shit about benefit of the doubt?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If you're a breed, expect to be treated like a breed and don't throw an OOC bitch-fit.

If you're sticking up for a breed, you better have a real damn good reason.

This ain't happy-cuddles-land. This is motherfucking Zalanthas, people.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

October 25, 2011, 02:00:12 AM #58 Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:03:43 AM by Jingo
Similarly, don't expect a breed's comrade in arms to take your side against the breed.  People sometimes forget that there are more dynamics at play than just race.

If Joe Nobody is trashing that respected breed trooper, he might as well be trashing the entire unit.

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on October 25, 2011, 02:00:12 AM
Similarly, don't expect a breed's comrade in arms to take your side against the breed.  People sometimes forget that there are more dynamics at play than just race.

If Joe Nobody is trashing that respected breed trooper, he might as well be trashing the entire unit.

Breed trooper shouldn't be respected unless he can handle Joe Nobody on his own...

How I've always played Breeds is that there's only one person they gotta look out for: Themselves. No one's going to hand them shit. In fact, it'll be the opposite. Gotta fight, tooth, nail and bone for what they have. They can't handle it - They die or end up subservant to the other races.

I figure, the only Breeds who have "respect" have usually earned it in quite a bloody fashion.

Just sayin' - If you're a Breed relying on others for help, you're either a very broken Breed or you just aren't doing something right.
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

QuoteBreed trooper shouldn't be respected unless he can handle Joe Nobody on his own...

It's situational. Breed trooper isn't necessarily on his own. The rest of the unit could conceivably be dragged into a conflict. Whether intentionally or not.

QuoteI figure, the only Breeds who have "respect" have usually earned it in quite a bloody fashion.

Yeah. You likely won't see any savvy breed politicians or shrewd breed merchants. The breed needs to be good at what he does which in game seems to be either hunting or fighting.

QuoteJust sayin' - If you're a Breed relying on others for help, you're either a very broken Breed or you just aren't doing something right.

That's your opinion. I've heard the same thing said about city elves, and it isn't necessarily true there either.

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Breeds, to me, have always been a race seeking a fierce independence while, at the same time, wanting some sort of acknowledgment or acceptance.

Let me rephrase what I meant about Breeds relying on others. I think it's totally acceptable for a Breed, once having exhausted all independent options, to seek out the assistance of others as a means to accomplishing their goal.

Zalanthas is the separation of High Fantasy breeds from the Low Fantasy breeds.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I think that John Snow from "Game of Thrones" is good example of how a breed might be.  Bitter, torn, struggling with the differing forces inside himself.  Longing for acceptance.  All that.

If you're not playing a breed, please realize that many breed players, most even actively desire you to spit on, shun, and maltreat them.

Abuse them, for their sake, please.

Quote from: Jingo on October 25, 2011, 04:25:07 AM
QuoteBreed trooper shouldn't be respected unless he can handle Joe Nobody on his own...

It's situational. Breed trooper isn't necessarily on his own. The rest of the unit could conceivably be dragged into a conflict. Whether intentionally or not.

QuoteI figure, the only Breeds who have "respect" have usually earned it in quite a bloody fashion.

Yeah. You likely won't see any savvy breed politicians or shrewd breed merchants. The breed needs to be good at what he does which in game seems to be either hunting or fighting.

QuoteJust sayin' - If you're a Breed relying on others for help, you're either a very broken Breed or you just aren't doing something right.

That's your opinion. I've heard the same thing said about city elves, and it isn't necessarily true there either.

Situational maybe. But Breed's being, by and large, the most looked down upon, kicked, scum-sucking refuge of a race in Arm? Not situational and the environment which we as PC's RP in and add too should mirror that. They're exceptions to rules yes, but they are very rare and not every breed, 2/3rds, 1/4th of all breeds would be that exception.

They're mangy, low-down, dirty mongrels. Much like gickers but they come in all sorts of shapes and forms.

It's all in the docs in language much more concise than mine :P
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Jingo on October 25, 2011, 04:25:07 AM

But you could. There's nothing to say that a breed can't be a shrewed merchant, or involved politically (although obviously for a breed that looks like a breed, political potential is limited).

The docs lean towards half-elves being hunters, yes...

QuoteHalf-elves are somewhat solitary types, and many spend most of their time out in the desert. They are rumoured to have a special rapport with beasts of all kinds, but whether this is true or not, or if it is due to something innate in their nature or simply because they spend a lot of time with their mounts, is a matter of debate.

Roleplaying: Accepted by neither humans nor elves, half-elves tend to be extremely self-reliant, and they pride themselves on this trait. Half-elves try to do everything for themselves, such as hunting for their own meals and camping well apart from others they are with. Despite this, half-elves typically try to gain acceptance by elves or humans and will go out of their way toward that end. In many ways, half-elves are on a continual journey to establish their personal identity.

...but they also allow for much more then that. (emphasis mine)

QuoteFinally, this cycle of independence and acceptance does not dictate the roles which a half-elf can have. While most people easily identify the half-elf persona as a ranger-type character, it is equally applicable to merchants, thieves, slaves, or just about anything else.

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

THis was suppose to be a fun thread about humorous things to do to breeds IG. :(
There are plenty of threads arguing racism in the Roleplay discussion forum. Go find one.

[/rerail]
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

• The spiky-haired half-breed is here, being used as a chimney-sweep.
  • The black-dressed, kohl-eyed halfbreed is here, failing to look dramatic.
  • The purple-dressed half-elf is here, makin' the Joker look all stable 'n stuff.

"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Oh wow, if I didn't love my current quote, I would so use that last one.
*thinks of a future breed assassin/knifemaker role*
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I tend to think there is ample amount of breed-abuse IG, though perhaps it's not always visible, if however, you're reaching for ideas, remember, breeds aren't human, sub-human, really, so even the nicest of PC's might

:seduce a breed, privately, then when breed talks to you in public, get your real mate to beat the crap out of them.
:convince breed he's not actually a breed, and encourage him to talk to those friendly elves loitering on Hathor's.
:having a breed friend is great for low self-esteem. You get to beat on them all day, and they won't leave you.
:report to militia that (insert meaningless, random lost object here) was stolen by breed, regardless if they were even around. Obviously he keeps looking at you because he's looking to steal more.

I'd love to see more breed abuse, as an avid player of breeds. (not for stats, being Bi-polar IRL helps me justify my chars mood swings if they're already mentally unstable)

Also, for those looking for good sociopathic roles to play, breeds work great.
Frankly, I'd like to see all the demi-humans in game in the byn be put in their own group, perhaps we should reinvent the idea of petards? Anyone got any flashpowder?

Quote from: Scarecrow on February 21, 2014, 04:45:46 PMIn Zalanthas, people don't dig graves with shovels, they dig them with their own tongues.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 04, 2011, 08:51:06 AM1. Aaah, but there's always that, "Why would a merchant risk losing a customer by over-charging?!" bit...
If everyone overcharges breeds then the breed is forced to pay or do without. For essentials and highly desirables they wont' do without.

By charging fair prices to breeds you encourage them to come to your store more which will discourage decent folk from coming to your store. If I constantly see breeds in a particular store all the time, I'm going to see if I can go somewhere else instead.

Quote from: spicemustflow on October 05, 2011, 05:56:04 AM
Breeds are so fucked up because they are hated by all, not because they're hated the most. I don't get why racist people IG would hate breeds more than the full blood members of their least favorite race.
Because you have all this pent up anger towards elves but can't do anything because there's so many of them! And they all form these gangs (sorry, "tribes") and will gang up on you and the militia might not be there when they do!

But breeds. They aint got no-one backing them. They're universally reviled by all. Both human and elf. It's safe to beat up on a stinking half-breed and let out all your anger and frustration on the little fecker. What's he going to do? Go to the militia? As long as you don't get out of hand they'll just laugh at him.

Quote from: My 2 sids on October 24, 2011, 02:26:13 PMSo, as long as I want my PC alive -- they have to kiss ass with every gemmer/breed/'rinither out there
I'd rather be dead then kiss the ass of a damn breed. A life where you gotta respect a breed aint no life at all.

Furniture.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Hunger Games

<this space for rent>

Grinding backstab
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º