Damage self

Started by MeTekillot, July 31, 2011, 10:55:15 PM

What do you guys think of a damage command that causes damage to the character when entered.

damage stun

damage health

damage stamina

dam health
You need to type out "damage health" in order for your health to be damaged.

Roleplay purposes is what this command would be used for.

According to the help file on suicide:

QuoteThe people of Zalanthas generally have terribly strong desires for self-preservation, and this is reflected in that there is no easy way to inflict damage upon yourself to commit suicide.

That's the main reason such a command doesn't exist. I think the command could have its uses, but it is also obsolete in some ways. For stun, you can simply contact something that doesn't exist over and over. I believe there are ways to affect stamina as well without leaving a room. For health, well, if you want to role-play out getting hurt or hurting yourself, go ahead, but I don't know why you need code to back this up. If you want someone to be able to kill you easier while you are weak, toggle no-save combat and let them have it. For mana, which you didn't mention, you could always cast some inert spells.

There are some ideas and my two cents. I don't really think this command is necessary and provides a greater risk to the playerbase for unsaid reasons.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Just wish up.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

July 31, 2011, 11:44:22 PM #3 Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:46:21 PM by RogueGunslinger
I would absolutely love this! There's been quite a few times where I could only roleplay damage, and not actually have it inflicted.

Quote from: Samoa on July 31, 2011, 11:15:54 PM
Just wish up.
Yeah, why add any new code at all? I mean we have the omnipresent staff at hand to be ready to do our bidding.  :P

If you are lying in a pool of blood and having to roleplay it, it doesn't have the same impact.  If I am three rooms away and I see someone lying in a pool of blood (code-wise) I am more apt to go see what is going on, as opposed to someone trying to rp out some grevious wound which I can't really see from two rooms away.
Malifaxis has UBER board skills

Just wish up, we are more than happy to damage you.  We promise!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

change ldesc can be seen from a distance.

change ldesc is laying in a pool of blood.

l west, the tall muscular man is laying in a pool of blood.

change ldesc stands mooning towards the east.

Heh, I've done that one...and been mooned back...

I've seen some creative ones on staff run NPCs too.

Specially with gith...just wish I knew if it was Shaloonsh, Nyr or Myrdryn.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Nyr on August 01, 2011, 09:12:07 AM
Just wish up, we are more than happy to damage you.  We promise!

I have wanted to app that character concept for ages! My gratitude is endless.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I figure this is for those times when staff aren't around to help in your endeavor to cause harm unto your person. Maybe this could be something you couldn't kill yourself with, or there's only a set amount of health you can take yourself down to or something? Contact santa doesn't really help when you have (master) contact, 122 stun, and only lose about eight stun per contact attempt.

August 01, 2011, 06:57:38 PM #9 Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 02:50:20 AM by Nao
I would really like this for any sort of damage that's rped only. Torture. Might make Lord Fancypants put a bit more thought into how to hurt you next so you don't die prematurely.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Nao on August 01, 2011, 06:57:38 PM
I would really liek this for any sort of damage that's rped only. Torture. Might make Lord Fancypants put a bit more thought into how to hurt you next so you don't die prematurely.

This seems like more of an argument for allowing staff to make the judgment as to whether there's damage. It really wouldn't be fair to another player for you to decide that their roleplay kills your PC, when that is not what they are intending.

I can just see the player complaints rolling in from a situation like that, hooooooo boy.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

I would use a command like this when my character would inflict harm on themselves for the purposes of a ritual. Cutting their hand to draw blood for example. I'm certain there are a few groups living in Zalanthas that perform gruesome rituals.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

I don't think it's necessary. I've never had a problem with staff answering a wish for something like this.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Can I tag on to this thread that I wish we could do a 'stop heal' or something that would stop recuperation when you want to be codedly injured?

Yes? Thanks. 

Quote from: Booya on August 02, 2011, 02:20:40 PM
Can I tag on to this thread that I wish we could do a 'stop heal' or something that would stop recuperation when you want to be codedly injured?

Yes? Thanks. 

nosave regen, perhaps?

Quote from: Delirium on August 02, 2011, 02:36:55 PM
Quote from: Booya on August 02, 2011, 02:20:40 PM

Yes? Thanks. 

nosave regen, perhaps?

Being able to inflict damage on yourself, I'd like it but it's not needed. Plenty of times I would have used it.
Nosave regen, this I would love. Would help RP injuries.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

one here for nosave regen
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Damage self would negate the need for nosave regen.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 02, 2011, 10:34:49 PM
Damage self would negate the need for nosave regen.

I'm probably one of the few who would need something like this, but the incredible rate of regen among our PCs would cause wounds to not last too long, and it may be inappropriate to continue damaging oneself in public in the middle of a conversation if, say, you were terribly tortured for information and are talking to someone.

although i guess you could rp it as blood suddenly squirting out from your eyes like red tears from an internal injury getting worse.

How exactly do you roleplay the sudden and miraculous insta-regen we currently deal with? You don't, you ignore it. That's what you would do for someone using damage self in that situation. You'd ignore it. The command doesn't even have to have an echo to it.

Quote from: Bacon on August 02, 2011, 01:42:31 PM
I don't think it's necessary. I've never had a problem with staff answering a wish for something like this.

If it's such a routine thing why not automate it?
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

I've had a few circumstances where I wished up to inflict harm on my character. Nosave Regen would have helped during all of them, however.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

+1 for damage self.
+1 for nosave regen.

I can think of many, many times I would have loved both of these. And the 'just wish up' thing really bothers me, as staff aren't always around to help.