Re: Non-Random Ride Thoughts

Started by RogueGunslinger, July 20, 2011, 12:39:47 PM

I just want to give a hearty FUCK YOU to movement points in this game. If you want to ever be realistic about surviving you probably shouldn't ever drop beloiw half your movement points. So you're stuck with: Move five rooms, rest for 5 rl minutes... move 5 rooms, rest 5 rl minutes. Making some areas exhausting long trips.

MOUNT
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

There are places you cant take mounts.

July 20, 2011, 12:58:06 PM #3 Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:01:43 PM by X-D
Ah yes, the joy of mounts with current code...Hey look, you are at the max skill you can have and have even given up good armor for all the riding gear you can find.

You look around, sand, lots of sand, no rocks, no mountains, no trees, just sand.
s
You fall off your mount and take 1-12 damage.
wait for the fall lag which is at least as long as getting bashed by a mekillot
st
mount
s
your mount refuses to move
s
you ride south
s
you fall off your mount taking another 1-12 damage
Your mount continues south without you
your mount is unhitched
wait another lengthy delay
st
s
Oh hey, now not only did I take damage I used stam too.
hitch mount
mount
s

Meanwhile the guy that walked past you and has to rest every 5-10 rooms beats you to the gates
You finally get there and have to go rest for stam and HP.

Alright, these are less then random thoughts, but no other place to really rant.

And god forbid you are in a group.
group of 4 PCs, none of which are rangers but all more then 10 days played and maxed ride skill is still a comedy of falling off mounts and them refusing to move.

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I never had that problem of falling off my mount after my skill got up to the journeyman level.  I had a non-half-elf assassin riding with two weapons out and he would only have issues in the worst of storms and roughest of terrain.  Even then, he wouldn't fall off.

If you're having that much trouble with riding as a master, submit some logs to Morgenes or something.  It sounds to me like you're doing something wrong, or something needs to be fixed.

If you're falling off your mount that much, and your ride skill is really as good as you say it is, you're in Ranger Country, son.

That being said, with a pair of riding gloves, my last warrior (sans subguild ride boosts) could ride around dual wielding, through sandstorms, with the mount running, without ever falling off (although occasionally it would swerve in some particularly difficult locations).

My guess is that your supposedly "guildmaxed" riders were only proficient enough not to fail in relatively easy terrain, and their skill deficits were laid bare in more difficult terrain, and I say this because as any recent non-elf ranger players know, you kind of have to go out of your way to force ride to branch, because you literally cannot fail in any of the commonly-ridden locations.

The facts that your skill is at (journeyman), and you haven't failed in a long time don't mean you're at your guild's max.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

July 20, 2011, 01:16:47 PM #7 Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:21:56 PM by X-D
Who said anything about master?

Though, I've had PCs who had advanced and still, even with one hand empty could and did fall off on the salt flats.

Journeyman, Heh, falling off the moment you leave the road is a pretty common thing, And I'm not talking just my own PC, as you might have noticed in the post.

Falling off more then 1 time in 100 rooms no matter the terrain is silly once you have gotten to whatever your max skill is, I don't care if that is JM, advanced or master.

In groups the current code is so silly most people including myself have started ignoring it as an IC event.
At least till I have to rest for HP and stam.

And Yippee for you, I can only assume that ride is a AGI skill and hey, not all PCs have awesome agi...in fact, I would guess that most do not.

Myself and others should not have to spec our PCs at creation for a reasonable level of ride just so if you leave the road you have to go unarmed and no shield, set mount to sneak and have all the riding gear in the game so you don't have one of the 3 "bad" ride fails happen to you every 4 rooms.

And believe me, I know quite well how to max the skill, and knew how before you started playing the game.
* X-D rolls his eyes

And another thing, If, Falling off and refuses to move do not count as fails or at some point with this new code stop counting for fails then the skill/code is quite broken.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on July 20, 2011, 01:16:47 PM

Though, I've had PCs who had advanced and still, even with one hand empty could and did fall off on the salt flats.

Journeyman, Heh, falling off the moment you leave the road is a pretty common thing, And I'm not talking just my own PC, as you might have noticed in the post.

Falling off more then 1 time in 100 rooms no matter the terrain is silly once you have gotten to whatever your max skill is, I don't care if that is JM, advanced or master.

In groups the current code is so silly most people including myself have started ignoring it as an IC event.
At least till I have to rest for HP and stam.

And Yippee for you, I can only assume that ride is a AGI skill and hey, not all PCs have awesome agi...in fact, I would guess that most do not.

Myself and others should not have to spec our PCs at creation for a reasonable level of ride just so if you leave the road you have to go unarmed and no shield, set mount to sneak and have all the riding gear in the game so you don't have one of the 3 "bad" ride fails happen to you every 4 rooms.

Sounds like somebody needs to stop using agility as a dump stat.  My last two PCs started at journeyman (one ranger, one subguild mercenary), and between the two of them, I fell off while riding maybe 4-5 times combined.  And this was mostly tooling around Allanak.

If your agility stat isn't good enough...stay on the damn road, or suck it up.  Riding isn't a right.

On both recent topics:

Frankly, I don't think movement is cruel *enough*. Unless you can fly, crossing the salt flats should be *grueling*, and it should take over a day to get to Tuluk from Allanak, not fifteen RL minutes. The way larger indoor systems where you can't take a mount work are ideal. Getting rid of kanks would've been great... had they just not been replaced by beetles.

As to karma? If you want karma, honestly, the best advice I can give you is to play your character realistically and well, and write the account saying, "Hey, I'd like to eventually have karma for <x> and I haven't received any feedback lately, could I please ask for you guys to keep an eye on me in some of your free time and give me a karma boost if appropriate? Thanks!" It will work wonders.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Quote from: Synthesis on July 20, 2011, 01:22:25 PM
Sounds like somebody needs to stop using agility as a dump stat. 

Agility tends to be prioritized for me, and I don't have too many problems riding unless i'm holding something, its stormy, and my ride is novice or apprentice.

i bet elves would have made fine riders.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Dude....never mind, I will just get banned again.

Do me a favor would you, Don't reply to my posts and I will not reply to yours.

Most of your...knowledge of the game is in wrong and or you refuse to see things because you have set your mind on one point and cannot see others. Agi as a dump stat...God, You do realize that the game has races other then human, elf and breed right? And max agi on those races is FAR lower then average agi on those.

And you don't think I pay attention to room descriptions? I know when a room says it is bad for riding and when it does not, Though I have asked Morg often on room flags and the numbers of rooms in this game flagged wrong for terrain and weather is HUGE.

But which is simpler, Fix 6,000 rooms and flags or tweek the skill?

But anyway, How about it, I will not reply to yours from here on out Synth and you do not reply to mine, Deal?
Lizzie:

July 20, 2011, 01:38:37 PM #12 Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:45:02 PM by Cind
edited to save ass. thanks!
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: X-D on July 20, 2011, 01:16:47 PM

Quote from: X-D on July 20, 2011, 12:58:06 PM
Ah yes, the joy of mounts with current code...Hey look, you are at the max skill you can have and have even given up good armor for all the riding gear you can find.

...crap about falling off

One can only deduce.

@Cind: Discussing code mechanics on the GDB is forbidden.  Find out ICly.

The half-giants I was rolling with didn't seem to have much of a problem, either.

I really question the veracity of your reported data, since it seems like every time you complain about this issue, very few others report having similar issues.

Dwarf agility isn't that much lower than human (unless you dump it...but you get what you wish for, there), and even if it is such an enormous problem for half-giants (it doesn't seem like it is), you could easily argue that well...maybe half-giants just aren't dexterous enough not to be forced to ride with both hands clutching on for dear life.

If you really can't handle it, quit rolling str/end/agi/wis dwarves and half-giants.  Like I said, riding is a skill, which presumably means that failure is an intended outcome.

July 20, 2011, 01:51:51 PM #15 Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:11:49 PM by X-D
I said max you can have, IE, max for the guild/sub. Which for most is far from master.

I don't dump stats Synth, I do not order them, And dwarf agi is quite a bit lower then human, at least 25% in fact. Which to me at least is substantial.

In fact, the last few PCs I have had had at least VG agi for the race, so far from a dump stat anyway.

Now, as to the example given, Yes, that has happened many times, Is it something that happens a majority of the time...No.

In fact, I have been able to ride all over even in hard to ride places without any of the three crit fails.

But riding in groups amplifies the problem, If you ride 100 rooms and each person has 3 crit fails in that time it moves into the range of annoying. And beyond if you start hitting the harder rooms and or have larger groups, to the point of outright silliness.

As to your observation on HGs, how do you know they did not spec for ride?

As to it being a skill and you should fail, Yes, that is true, But there should be a point when you no longer do certain things. Falling off the mount is one of them. But as the code sits, you can, as a ranger, with high agi and master ride STILL fall off your mount. No, it will not happen often, but it can and will happen.

I rather recently was leading a group and turned off the road, and 3 of the 5 people had crit fails, none of them were new PCs, all had at least one hand free, the mounts were walking and the weather was good, and we road to a room labeled Sand. At least 2 of them have advanced ride.

And anyway, this entire deal was brought up because somebody wanted a small rant on stam costs and somebody else said mount.
All I was saying is mounts can be just as problematic and annoying as high stam costs.

And lastly, I know many of you do not ride IRL, but "holding on with both hands for dear life" Is more likely to get you tossed or lose control of your mount then riding properly with one hand and the other free for balance. AND having something in that other hand actually HELPS on the balance. Hopefully I do not have to explain why, but if so, just look at any performer that relies on balance, there is a science to the matter.
Lizzie:

I don't agree with being able to fall off your mount at journeyman skill level at all when just riding around. Especially when, except for a couple guilds and a subguild, everyone else is capped there. It means, if you don't pick one of those guilds your pc will always suck at ride for their entire lives. It does need to be tweaked. At journeyman skill level, you should only have a chance of falling off if mounted in combat and you should never be capable of dual wielding while riding or being capable in mounted combat unless you're one of those specific guilds or subguilds. At max skill level in ride for -any- guild, you should at least be good enough not to fall off just riding around on any terrain.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Sooooo...the obvious solution would be not to take noobs into the Craggy Rock Forest Mountains of Ultimate Doom.  Or spend more time practicing ride.  It doesn't take a particularly long time to (really) guild-max it, unless you're a ranger...and then it's pretty much a non-issue.

And Bacon:  that's basically how it is already.  X-D is full of bull.

Quote from: Synthesis on July 20, 2011, 02:00:03 PM
Sooooo...the obvious solution would be not to take noobs into the Craggy Rock Forest Mountains of Ultimate Doom.  Or spend more time practicing ride.  It doesn't take a particularly long time to (really) guild-max it, unless you're a ranger...and then it's pretty much a non-issue.

And Bacon:  that's basically how it is already.  X-D is full of bull.

No, my experience is exactly what he's describing.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

I love ride. I tend to choose easier to handle mounts as a newbie, though, because you could get hurt a lot getting thrown off by that evil creature you thought was a better mount three times in the same room.

(its in docs for the different mount animals---- some have been bred to be easier to ride and this is a known fact.)

i love sunlons, sunbacks and beetles for some reason. i think they really evoke the desert for me, and plains ox is cool too.

still awaiting: watching a dwarf deep in the obsession of his/her Focus mount a bahamet and tame it successfully.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 20, 2011, 02:05:21 PM
Thanks staff.

*shrug*

I haven't seen it.  However, now I'm mildly tempted to roll a dorf warrior and dump agility just to see what happens.

I have a suspicion that all this really hinges on several things that aren't particularly obvious, so I'm not going to mention them.

At low Jman ride, with both hands on the reins, there are particular rooms where I -always- fall off. Not a "refuses to move", but a full on fall off, mount goes running away situation.

I would not count these rooms as "Ranger Country", and others with less riding skill and a weapon out seemed to be just fine.

My agility is likely higher than theirs, and they had no riding gear.

Rolls suck in this game sometimes, but I think at Jman, you shouldn't be falling off when just walking. Running, with a weapon in hand, charging down a mekillot? Yeah sure, your funeral. Gallavanting on North Road and getting attacked by a kryl, falling off your mount, surviving to get back on, fleeing, only to fall off and lose the mount again? Sometimes thats a bit hinky.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I played a dwarf warrior who didn't have agility as a dump stat, and I will tell you that learning to ride was painful.  Very, very painful.  On the road it was even painful.  Having wisdom at 'poor' only made it more excruciating.  Never again will I roll a dwarf warrior who doesn't start with at least subguild ride.  Never never.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on July 20, 2011, 02:49:21 PM
I played a dwarf warrior who didn't have agility as a dump stat, and I will tell you that learning to ride was painful.  Very, very painful.  On the road it was even painful.  Having wisdom at 'poor' only made it more excruciating.  Never again will I roll a dwarf warrior who doesn't start with at least subguild ride.  Never never.

We're not really talking about the grind...we're talking about the cap.