Skinning skill

Started by Dresan, June 24, 2011, 11:26:25 AM

Is it just me or does the subguild version of the skinning skill seem rather gimped?

I seem to get alot more stuff as a ranger with a lower level of skinning skill then i do with a higher level of the subguild version. In general this would make sense on a non-ranger but considering how high the sub-guild version gets it seems a little off esspecially since i'm still mostly only getting meat and still destroying corpses.  I also seem to completely fail alot more when i'm using a skinning boosting item then when i try without it.

I wanted to bug this but I believe i did so years ago and was basically told it was all in my head.  Is it (Morgenes)?

Then again it could be working as intended but i just wanted to ask about it.

Never expect subguild skills to be anywhere near the levels of skills that come with the first guild selection.

Subguild acrobat will never kick anywhere nearly as well as a warrior.

Subguild thief will never steal anywhere nearly as well as a pickpocket.

Subguild hunter will never skin anywhere nearly as well as a ranger.  

:)

Start keeping statistics (including, of course, the skill level you were at). Otherwise you're gonna fool yourself.

And if it still seems borked, your records might help the Morg.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 24, 2011, 11:29:14 AM

Yeah, but you'd expect (journeyman) skin to perform the same regardless of guild.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 24, 2011, 11:30:51 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 24, 2011, 11:29:14 AM

Yeah, but you'd expect (journeyman) skin to perform the same regardless of guild.

I could've sworn I read somewhere that the skill level shown was proportionate to your skill cap.

Like, that a subguild thief with steal at master would only be at like, journeyman or something if a pickpocket had the exact same amount of points in the skill.

I'm not entirely sure I explained that clearly enough. x-X

I need a nap.

I believe that's right. Hunter suguild skinning at journeyman < Ranger skinning at journeyman. I've had some subguild skinners do really well in the past though.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Or.....it could be that other stats come into play on the skills.....bum-bum-bum.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: titansfan on June 24, 2011, 12:14:04 PM
Or.....it could be that and other stats come into play on the skills.....bum-bum-bum.
Good point to add, almost.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

June 24, 2011, 12:45:07 PM #8 Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:48:13 PM by Dresan
I think my ranger with lower stats performed better then my none ranger with better stats, again it could just all be in my head but i am leaning towards sub-guild skinning being way more inferior then the ranger version besides just skill caps.

*wrong thread*
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Wrong, err, right AND wrong, Qzzrbl. That's why you can't ever get to master in crafting with just a subguild crafter. It's the same with all skills. It's relative to the guild with the highest skill, not relative to just you. Say you got... I dunno 'whaler' sub, and someone else was a guild 'fisher'. They might get whale_catching to mastery, but you never will. And their mastery is the top part of what your apprentice/journeyman/occasionally advanced whale_catching is compared to. But since you never GET mastery, that would say, to me, that the brackets are equal. If I will never get as good as john at catching whales because he can become a master whaler, but right now we're both on an equal footing and we're apprentices, he has a lot more room to improve than I do. (afaik)
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

June 24, 2011, 12:59:00 PM #11 Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:01:27 PM by X-D
Correct.

As to the OP, stats affect most if not all skills.

I am not going to say which do or how much. But OP, is your non-ranger with subguild skinning the same race and have the exact same stats as your ranger? If not, then you cannot accurately compare anyway.

Gear matters too.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

June 24, 2011, 01:25:39 PM #12 Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:29:36 PM by Dresan
All humans. I had a really young non-ranger with very good wisdom who couldn't skin to save his life even after being 20 days old, with a good skinning item.

My other  ranger was bringing skins in after a few tries with less wisdon with just his basic weapon. In general I don't believe stats don't have as huge effect on skills, they help but not overly so...again i admit it could just be me.

Who says it is wisdom?

;)

But hell, I've sworn at times that weather matters and if you emote before the skinning...fact is, at lower skills it is almost as random as well...rolling dice.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

To add to what X-D wrote...

Skill categorizations (novice, apprentice, journeyman, etc) have a range.  It is possible the hunter subguild could max out at the bottom of one category, while a ranger might quickly move beyond that level while still in the same category.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 24, 2011, 11:33:30 AM

I could've sworn I read somewhere that the skill level shown was proportionate to your skill cap.

Like, that a subguild thief with steal at master would only be at like, journeyman or something if a pickpocket had the exact same amount of points in the skill.

I need a nap.

Quote from: MorgenesIt came to our attention that some skills could never get to 'master' level because no guild got that high of a proficiency.  We have changed words you see for skills to now reflect what the 'maximum cap' is for all guilds.

So, we look at all guilds that get the skill and choose the highest end value.  We then use that to determine our 'master' range.  This should reflect in your skills as an increase on certain skills compared to when this code change went out.  This code originally went live when we crashed last night, but we have discovered that there are some skills that aren't on any guild and so there was a problem with that.

This latest reboot this afternoon should have all these issues fixed.
So, from that, I assume that a journeyman skinning is journeyman skinning, regardless of if it is on a guild ranger or a subguild hunter.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

@X-D:

Well because every other stat is really high on my characters to begin with so it wouldn't be a factor or at least very minimal in my cases. :D

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback

Keep in mind that if journeyman goes from 40 to 59, and your subguild's skill is capped at 40...you could be at up to a 19-point (nearly 50%) disadvantage, yet have the same apparent skill level.

Also, other things matter.  It's probably the combination of the above and the "other things," that you aren't paying attention to.  I'm not going to describe everything that I suspect goes into it, but it's something that you can easily get an idea of, if you approach it rigorously.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Archbaron on June 24, 2011, 01:45:22 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 24, 2011, 11:33:30 AM

I need a nap.

Quote from: MorgenesIt came to our attention that some skills could never get to 'master' level because no guild got that high of a proficiency.  We have changed words you see for skills to now reflect what the 'maximum cap' is for all guilds.

So, we look at all guilds that get the skill and choose the highest end value.  We then use that to determine our 'master' range.  This should reflect in your skills as an increase on certain skills compared to when this code change went out.  This code originally went live when we crashed last night, but we have discovered that there are some skills that aren't on any guild and so there was a problem with that.

This latest reboot this afternoon should have all these issues fixed.
So, from that, I assume that a journeyman skinning is journeyman skinning, regardless of if it is on a guild ranger or a subguild hunter.

Aaaaand that was the post from Morg I wanted to find. x]

Thanks for clearing that up.

No problem! I assumed that one was it.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Also remember, there are a lot of hidden levels even within a given 'rank'.
A level one journeyman is a little different from a level 100 journeyman.
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

It might also be due to one of the many ranger specific code snippets in the game - used to be that much of what a ranger could do differently wasn't coded in via skills (which were far less diverse once upon a time). Skin IIRC wasn't a skill to begin with - so there's potential there.

And there still are various coded guild-specific stuff in the game - either on purpose or not... An an outside observer it would seem there's a move to skillify some of these (e.g. direction_sense) - but whatever code is running on ginka, probably has a lot of history (and many-many lines).