Big words!

Started by Intrepid237, June 05, 2011, 12:07:01 AM

So, I see PC's using words like fundamental for example. And i'm not going to accuse anyone of bad roleplay. I assume the best of players always. But would average Zalanthians know words with more than 5 syllables? Whenever I see PC's use them, I assume they heard a noble or bard speak it once and just picks it up from context, I think Zalanthians are smart enough to gain knowledge of a word through context. So personally, I avoid big words unless my character hears another character use them first, then uses it many times in the next few conversations so my PC can remember the word.

I'm just curious as to how large the vocabulary of an average amos would be. And would nobles or bards have a larger one?

I think it depends on the character and their background.

A trained linguist, bard, or noble would definitely be well within their role to use big words.

Some uneducated Malik from the commoner's quarter, perhaps not.

Fundamental has four syllables.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

I am guilty of talking over my pc's ability on occasion. But for a model, I'm more likely to look at say, Deadwood than a Hollywood action film.

I mean look at things like prison writing and oral tradition. People may not be able to spell all the words they use, they may not always say them perfectly or with proper grammar, but the uneducated are capable of eloquence all the same.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

One additional syllable for each rung of the social ladder.

QuoteI mean look at things like prison writing and oral tradition. People may not be able to spell all the words they use, they may not always say them perfectly or with proper grammar, but the uneducated are capable of eloquence all the same.

Valid point. I mean, it doesn't break my immersion or anything. I just thought it was interesting. I don't think big words are a pre-requisite to eloquence though.

QuoteFundamental's a big word?

Well no... It's just the only example of a biggish word I've heard from the game I could think of at the moment lol

When I see character talk like that I imagine them with British accents.

"Precipitously close to a precarious foray into the art of shiv-shufflin'. Ain't we Malik?"

"I dare say we're over the precipice and at the bottom of the Shield, Amos. Are we going to keep chattering or shall we dance."

"Dance we shall!"

Big words are okay. When homeless guy with swords #6 tells someone about his 'legal rights' you start rolling your eyes.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

Homeless guy has no rights. But there's no reason he can't lament that poetically, is there?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

There's a difference between someone sounding poetic and someone sounding like they grew up in a legalistic, common law society instead of the corrupt hellholes of the Black and White Pits.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

That sounds like a win win to me. I'll buy that.

Guilty.  I use big words.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Subsequent to producing an apparently prodigious, yet maddeningly ethereal cloud of nauseating flatulence, expelled with a great, reverberating, ripping belch from what could only be--judging from the malodorousness of its effluvium--horribly tainted bowels, the tall, muscular man says, in sirihish:
     "Krath."
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

If a character talks eloquently or in a sophisticated manner, I assume they have a reason for it, and move on. Otherwise, I tend to not question the way characters talk.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Antidisestablishmentarianism.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

anti-dis?

Woudlnt' that just be establishmentarianism?

No, it specifically means one was against the disestablishment of the Church of England. As the Church was established long ago and never disestablished, it would not make sense to be for or against its establishment in the present day. It's already established.

Quote from: BleakOne on June 05, 2011, 02:13:01 AM
Antidisestablishmentarianism.

Dare you to type that into a speak&spell
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

"My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable." - Mike Tyson
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Don't forget they're not speaking english. Those big words we imagine are big words could be small words in sirihish or any other language. Bet ya'll didn't take that into account.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Chettaman on June 05, 2011, 10:32:48 AM
Don't forget they're not speaking english. Those big words we imagine are big words could be small words in sirihish or any other language. Bet ya'll didn't take that into account.

Extremely good point.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 05, 2011, 12:41:49 AM
When I see character talk like that I imagine them with British accents.

"Precipitously close to a precarious foray into the art of shiv-shufflin'. Ain't we Malik?"

"I dare say we're over the precipice and at the bottom of the Shield, Amos. Are we going to keep chattering or shall we dance."

"Dance we shall!"

This made my day.

Usually I try to have my characters talk with an appropriate level of education.  But that may or may not have anything to do with word length.  Using long words and being wordy aren't quite the same thing I don't think.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.