Reasoning behind warrior skills

Started by Blackisback, June 02, 2011, 03:24:48 PM

Several questions in regards to warrior skills, not including subguilds.

1.) Why no climb skill?

It seems like climbing is a skill that any warrior would (and probably should) have. I find it odd, however, that warriors cannot attain the climb skill without the use of subguilds. Is there any particular reasoning behind not having access to this skill? Heck, even the D&D Fighter has climb as one of his (few) available skills.

2.) Why no scan skill?

At some point in their careers, warriors will probably be required to stand guard or otherwise be vigilant. Whether it's keeping a sharp eye out for thieves or making sure no one approaches an encampment unnoticed, it will be required. It seems odd, then, that warriors would not have access to the scan skill as a standard or branching ability. Is there any particular reason for this?

3.) Why skinning?

The question is clear.

There is definitely reasoning behind everything done by those that staff the game, create documentation, or set up the code for the game.  This reasoning may not satisfy you; in this case, the reasoning is pretty straightforward, stated in the helpfiles for warriors:

QuoteA warrior's skills involve only the many aspects of fighting.

Why no climb skill?  We don't believe warriors need the climb skill, therefore, they don't have it.
Why no scan skill?  We don't believe warriors need the scan skill, therefore, they don't have it.
Why skinning?  We believe warriors need the skinning skill, therefore, they have it.

Why do we think these things?  We have a lot of guild and subguild options, and it is staff position (reflected by these multi-faceted options) that no one character in this game should be able to do everything, thus forcing them to interact with and rely on other characters.  Based on discussion related to Armageddon Reborn, it is likely that guilds there will be less rigid than in the current iteration of the game.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

QuoteA warrior's skills involve only the many aspects of fighting.

...and skinning. Fighting and skinning.

P much.

Oh man, if warriors lost the skinning skill...

...EPIC wailfest.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Nyr on June 02, 2011, 03:48:51 PM
This reasoning may not satisfy you

I see it does not.  Hopefully it will turn out for the best and won't dramatically affect your character concepts.  Good luck!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

A warrior's chief weapon is surprise.

Surprise and skinning.

Skinning and surprise.

Their two weapons are skinning and surprise. And ruthless bashing.

Their *three* weapons are skinning, surprise, and ruthless bashing ... and an almost fanatical compulsion to Kick.

Their *Four* ... no ... *Amongst* their weapons ... amongst their weaponry ... are such elements as skinning, surprise ... I'll start a new post.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

But rangers can do everything?

Uh oh, am I going to break the thread? :o

Quote from: Spoon on June 02, 2011, 06:18:04 PM

No they can't.  Warriors can do things rangers cannot, and vice versa.

Quote from: Blackisback on June 02, 2011, 03:24:48 PM

1.) Why no climb skill?

It seems like climbing is a skill that any warrior would (and probably should) have. I find it odd, however, that warriors cannot attain the climb skill without the use of subguilds. Is there any particular reasoning behind not having access to this skill? Heck, even the D&D Fighter has climb as one of his (few) available skills.

2.) Why no scan skill?

At some point in their careers, warriors will probably be required to stand guard or otherwise be vigilant. Whether it's keeping a sharp eye out for thieves or making sure no one approaches an encampment unnoticed, it will be required. It seems odd, then, that warriors would not have access to the scan skill as a standard or branching ability. Is there any particular reason for this?

3.) Why skinning?

The question is clear.

Short answer:  Balance.  All guilds/subguilds must be balanced.  By picking a certain guild/subguild you are basically "spending your points" on what skills you get.

Why no climb or scan?  Things like climbing and scanning are more for scavengers, burglars... maybe rangers and assassins or whatever.  If you gave warriors climb, those other classes (and/or sublcasses) would be effectively weaker because warriors would be sort of over-powered.  Why play a scavenger or burglar when you can just play a warrior?  Yeah, you could play a warrior/scavenger... problem solved.  If you want to play a warrior/guard with climb then you are asking for too much.  Balance is a big part of the game.  Picking guard you get other things instead of climb.  Hence the balance.  Other classes might get other stuff instead of guard or kick, etc.

I think skinning is sort of like a basic survival skill like cooking... sort of.  Except I imagine certain guilds start out or are just not as good at it as guilds like ranger, etc.

So, yeah, balance.  You give up certain things to be better at fighting and stuff.

Quote from: wizturbo on June 02, 2011, 06:48:08 PM
Quote from: Spoon on June 02, 2011, 06:18:04 PM

No they can't.  Warriors can do things rangers cannot, and vice versa.

yeah rangers don't get parry even though all classes have a chance to parry whether they have the skill or not

oh and uh

i don't think they get disarm? i mean, it's not as if disarm is trumped by "em whips out his spare weapon;draw staff"

Quote from: Sokotra on June 02, 2011, 06:58:11 PM
:words:

Balanced towards what? Why does there need to be class balance in an RP game that's not necessarily built towards PvP?

Quote from: MeTekillot on June 02, 2011, 07:00:32 PM
yeah rangers don't get parry even though all classes have a chance to parry whether they have the skill or not

:3

Why do warriors need climb? And the lack of scan is the only thing that makes a warrior vulnerable to an assassination attempt, since in a straight up fight a warrior would destroy an assassin
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

Yeah, you guys suck at knowledge ;D

Anyways, I was joking. Going into balance/imbalance thing is going to end up in a bad place. My real thoughts on the subject is that you don't pick a warrior for their skills/balance compared to other classes. You pick warrior because you want to play a fighter who FIGHTS EVERYTHING!

Ps. Everyone can climb, but not everyone has the potential to become a mountaineer/cat burglar.

Quote from: Blackisback on June 02, 2011, 07:14:40 PM

Balanced towards what? Why does there need to be class balance in an RP game that's not necessarily built towards PvP?

Balanced towards fairness.  How would you like it if you picked a warrior guild that got nothing but dual wield and slashing weapons, while assassins got kick, subdue, guard, climb, bash, piercing weapons, backstab, etc.  Know what I'm saying?  It's not only for PvP, but conflict is a big part of the game (with good role-play behind it).  The coded aspect of the game is important to back up the RP that is focused upon.  Yeah things aren't going to be perfectly balanced, that's where a lot of the RP comes into play.

June 02, 2011, 07:30:00 PM #14 Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:34:16 PM by Cutthroat
Quote from: Sokotra on June 02, 2011, 07:25:25 PM
Quote from: Blackisback on June 02, 2011, 07:14:40 PM

Balanced towards fairness.  How would you like it if you picked a warrior guild that got nothing but dual wield and slashing weapons, while assassins got kick, subdue, guard, climb, bash, piercing weapons, backstab, etc.  Know what I'm saying?  It's not only for PvP, but conflict is a big part of the game (with good role-play behind it).  The coded aspect of the game is important to back up the RP that is focused upon.  Yeah things aren't going to be perfectly balanced, that's where a lot of the RP comes into play.

Not even just fairness, but for interactive purposes. Or, to elaborate, so your PC is forced to interact with other players to do things they can't do by themselves.

Edit: Oops, Nyr already said that. Point still stands though!

1.) Why no climb skill?

This isn't D&D, a good majority of the mondane guilds get climb and those that don't have the option of taking some subclass to obtain it, the more you pass the skill out the less nifty it is. Warriors don't require it.

2.) Why no scan skill?

Warrior with Scan well.. suddenly can trump all the non-warrior fighty types in more than just melee.

3.) Why skinning?

The question is clear.

It makes the guild more playable, it spices up the 'rangery' types you might encounter in the wilds.

These are just my understandings of it anyway.

Warriors get scan, sneak, hide, wagonmaking and rangerquit or fuck this game. Majikal out.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I've always wondered why warriors don't start with backstab/sap. Just seems odd that some one who spent the majority of there lives fighting/learning to fight can't do so quietly/without getting the attention f the whole city.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

June 02, 2011, 07:46:19 PM #17 Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:01:53 PM by MeTekillot
oh my bad

Ain't even
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌

That feeling when somebody makes you feel like you've said something stupid but don't know what it is
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌

June 02, 2011, 08:48:35 PM #21 Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:51:55 PM by Qzzrbl
Rangers do get parry.

Quote from: ranger dox
... detect sounds from far away, work with poisons, and parry enemy blows...

Honestly, if you know what you're doing, a skilled warrior can be invulnerable to damn near anything mundane-- including assassins. I mean, shit, staff had to give the other guilds -some- way to escape a raging warrior, right? Hence they don't get climb.

Warriors skills make them fighting -machines-. They fight better than any other class. It's what they do.

If you want to do things other than fighting, and your subguild selections just aren't cutting it, then perhaps you should check out the other guilds, or maybe even a special app.

::Edited to add::

Also, the "watch" skill is useful.

Very useful.

Ranger skills and warrior skills may be similar in some ways, but I don't really see one as better than another. One is better in certain circumstances, and the other is better in others.

Also, I think warriors get skin because in a world like Zalanthas, someone who fights for a living would pick up how to prepare their kills with moderate skill.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on June 02, 2011, 08:52:14 PM
Also, I think warriors get skin because in a world like Zalanthas, someone who fights for a living would pick up how to prepare their kills with moderate skill.

It also provides the class with a means to support itself that doesn't involve being employed by other PC's.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

The 30 day warrior is here, fighting the 30 day ranger

The 30 day warrior says, in sirihish:
     "yeah boi i got my skillz up on u"

The 30 day ranger says, in sirihish:
     "Remember that nick I gave you?"

The 30 day warrior says, in sirihish:
     "yea y?"

The 30 day warrior keels over!

The 30 day ranger says, in sirihish:
     "I put instadeath toxins on it, yo."