Close pockets cloak

Started by Taven, May 28, 2011, 08:19:30 PM

I think there should be a command "close pockets cloak". I want a way to not worry about things in a cloak getting stolen without closing the whole cloak. I hate not being able to see people's shirts and belts because their cloaks are closed. Why even have a shirt if nobody sees it anyway? This command would allow cloaks to be closed without being closed around a body, so that you can show off that sexy top and those bad ass blades (hopefully not on the same PC, because the fashion police will come for you).
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Taven on May 28, 2011, 08:19:30 PM
I think there should be a command "close pockets cloak". I want a way to not worry about things in a cloak getting stolen without closing the whole cloak. I hate not being able to see people's shirts and belts because their cloaks are closed. Why even have a shirt if nobody sees it anyway? This command would allow cloaks to be closed without being closed around a body, so that you can show off that sexy top and those bad ass blades (hopefully not on the same PC, because the fashion police will come for you).

You the player can reference your undergarments via emotes. But I tend to agree -- I'd like to close my pockets without blocking the undergarments. I'm a bit of a Length Whore when it comes to equipment lists.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Can't I then still steal your sword? :)
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

This is an interesting idea. It could be applied to certain objects and not to others, like how some cloaks don't have hoods. I'll still keep my cloak closed though :3
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Logically speaking, how can you even draw your sword with a closed cloak?

And, isn't it possible to steal a sword even if a cloak is closed? I could have sworn that happened to me once.

Regardless of whether its possible or not...

The way I see it, most cloaks were basically large lengths of fabric, and any pockets were small incisions sewn inside. Closing the cloak would seem a good way to close off access to the pockets.

Having played sneakies/pickpockets before, I honestly don't believe we need more worn container-items that allow for closing. People already seem to macro "open belt;get coins belt;buy #12;put coins belt;close belt". Not that I think all PCs should open themselves up for being stolen from, but give pickpockets a chance. There are already pouches, belts, packs, bags, etc etc that are closeable, wearable containers. If you put something in your cloak, expect that a necker brushing by you has a -chance- to dip their hand in.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on May 28, 2011, 10:27:51 PM
Not that I think all PCs should open themselves up for being stolen from, but give pickpockets a chance.

ever since i tried my first pickpocket, i've tended to try to do this every now and then for others.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Riev on May 28, 2011, 10:27:51 PM
Regardless of whether its possible or not...

The way I see it, most cloaks were basically large lengths of fabric, and any pockets were small incisions sewn inside. Closing the cloak would seem a good way to close off access to the pockets.

Having played sneakies/pickpockets before, I honestly don't believe we need more worn container-items that allow for closing. People already seem to macro "open belt;get coins belt;buy #12;put coins belt;close belt". Not that I think all PCs should open themselves up for being stolen from, but give pickpockets a chance. There are already pouches, belts, packs, bags, etc etc that are closeable, wearable containers. If you put something in your cloak, expect that a necker brushing by you has a -chance- to dip their hand in.

I'm not advocating a new item, I'm saying that I think the current items should be modified. I think it's silly that I never get to see anybody's shirts because everybody always has their cloak closed (for good reason), due to being worried about theft. Wouldn't it be nice to have a way players could both show off their torso item and have their cloak's items protected? It's not like currently people are giving pickpockets a chance with closed cloaks.

May 28, 2011, 10:52:26 PM #9 Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:55:00 PM by Synthesis
...okay, maybe that wasn't the most constructive way to phrase it.

It's already stupidly easy to make yourself completely steal-proof, and just about everyone does it.  To steal anything, you basically have to twink out, because people have their shit on lockdown unless they're Arming drunk and forgot to cinch up their gear.  Making it even more convenient to make yourself steal-proof? Fuck that.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 28, 2011, 10:52:26 PM
...okay, maybe that wasn't the most constructive way to phrase it.

It's already stupidly easy to make yourself completely steal-proof, and just about everyone does it.  To steal anything, you basically have to twink out, because people have their shit on lockdown unless they're Arming drunk and forgot to cinch up their gear.  Making it even more convenient to make yourself steal-proof? Fuck that.

Aren't people already closing their cloaks all the time to prevent stealing? This isn't another way to make people invincible, it's a different way to do the same thing that code already does, to allow us to be able to actually see people's shirts and weapons. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

So then this is less of allowing closeable pockets, and more about allowing a closed cloak to still see a chest/torso item?

That, I could get behind, depending on the cloak/longcoat/dustcloak being used.

When I was 19 I worked at a lumber mill.  My close friend also worked there.  There was another gentleman that would buy a yoo-hoo everyday.  My friend and I would devise clever ways to steal it from him and of course return it to him.  One day the guy was tired of us taking his chocolate drink and he wore a ridiculous fanny-pack.  So I struck a conversation with the guy on the way back from lunch.  He proceeded to zip his Yoo-hoo into his man purse.  I kept him talking long enough that he didn't even notice my friend unzipping the fanny-pack and taking the yoo-hoo. ;D
Quote from MeTekillot

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on May 29, 2011, 12:53:57 AM
When I was 19 I worked at a lumber mill.  My close friend also worked there.  There was another gentleman that would buy a yoo-hoo everyday.  My friend and I would devise clever ways to steal it from him and of course return it to him.  One day the guy was tired of us taking his chocolate drink and he wore a ridiculous fanny-pack.  So I struck a conversation with the guy on the way back from lunch.  He proceeded to zip his Yoo-hoo into his man purse.  I kept him talking long enough that he didn't even notice my friend unzipping the fanny-pack and taking the yoo-hoo. ;D

Hilarious, but unfortunately doesn't have relevance in Game-Terms because even if you set up something elaborate, PCs cannot open containers on other PCs without staff assistance.

He proceeded to zip his Yoo-hoo into his man purse.

Sounds painful.

For the record, there are some cloaks that, when closed, do not hide everything.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: Riev on May 28, 2011, 10:58:11 PM
So then this is less of allowing closeable pockets, and more about allowing a closed cloak to still see a chest/torso item?

That, I could get behind, depending on the cloak/longcoat/dustcloak being used.

Yes, it's more about seeing a chest/torso item and the weapons. If you can't see the weapons when the cloak is closed, it doesn't make a ton of sense that you can still draw weapons (to me anyway). But I'm less concerned with that then the fact that since everyone is so paranoid about thieves, they always have their cloaks closed, and thus you can't see their awesome gear. I think it would be a lot simpler to allow any closeable cloak that is a container to be changed into something that had "close pockets cloak" code wise, as opposed to needing to go through each cloak and change it based on the cloak type. If you actually look at cloaks, it would also make sense for them to codedly cover the legs, too. I don't really care about all that, I'm just interested in being able to see torso items and weapons, and "close pockets cloak" seems to be the simpliest way to do it.

Quote from: HavokBlue on May 29, 2011, 01:53:37 AM
For the record, there are some cloaks that, when closed, do not hide everything.

There may be a couple, but I don't think it's a lot of them. Then, if you factor in how many people have to wear clan cloaks/abas/dustcloaks... It means that you're likely not going to see any torso items. I'm not blaming the people who close their cloaks for this, they have a good reason to, I just think that it sucks for everyone else.

This doesn't make anyone more stealproof if they are already stealproof. It just is more fashion forward.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

On second thought, this is an excellent idea...*taps fingers together*

People have totally stolen many things hanging from my belt under my closed cloak-like garments. They are -very- good thieves. And I hate them. They could of at least cut my belt or something to make it more believable. Steal my fucking belt and give it back to me or some shit. I just wanna roleplay. I'll twink out when the IRL end of the world comes, dammit.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Taven on May 29, 2011, 12:49:43 PM
Yes, it's more about seeing a chest/torso item and the weapons. If you can't see the weapons when the cloak is closed, it doesn't make a ton of sense that you can still draw weapons (to me anyway).

I'm totally behind this idea, but if it's implemented, there are a few cloak items IG that have holes or slits in their mdesc specifically for easy access to weapons. I think you should still be able to draw weapons even with these kind of cloak items closed.

Quote from: Riev on May 29, 2011, 01:16:47 AM

Hilarious, but unfortunately doesn't have relevance in Game-Terms because even if you set up something elaborate, PCs cannot open containers on other PCs without staff assistance.

If you are able to steal things from a closed cloak though you could just rp opening their pocket.
Quote from MeTekillot

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on May 30, 2011, 02:35:20 PM
Quote from: Riev on May 29, 2011, 01:16:47 AM

If you are able to steal things from a closed cloak though you could just rp opening their pocket.

But you can't steal things from closed containers, Chris.

The problem is this:

You can have your cloak closed, which cuts off access to seeing a chest piece, belt, hung weapons, etc etc. However, you can still do "draw sword" and draw a weapon from your belt, without opening your cloak. Its akin to having a closed backpack, that thieves can't steal from, but you can still get things out of it without opening it.

If I have it all right, thats the situation Taven is looking to change, however slightly.

Yeah that is annoying, you shouldn't be able to draw it if someone can't steal it and also if there is no description of it in your cloak having slits allowing for it.  I think it would be cool if you could open containers, with two steal checks.
Quote from MeTekillot

Quote from: Rhyden on May 30, 2011, 10:46:27 AM
Quote from: Taven on May 29, 2011, 12:49:43 PM
Yes, it's more about seeing a chest/torso item and the weapons. If you can't see the weapons when the cloak is closed, it doesn't make a ton of sense that you can still draw weapons (to me anyway).

I'm totally behind this idea, but if it's implemented, there are a few cloak items IG that have holes or slits in their mdesc specifically for easy access to weapons. I think you should still be able to draw weapons even with these kind of cloak items closed.

I'm not even really advocating that it be impossible to draw weapons if a cloak is closed, although I think that would generally make more sense. What I'm really advocating is just a different way for cloaks to be closed that allows weapons and torso-spot items to be seen.

Quote from: Riev on May 30, 2011, 02:50:05 PM
The problem is this:

You can have your cloak closed, which cuts off access to seeing a chest piece, belt, hung weapons, etc etc. However, you can still do "draw sword" and draw a weapon from your belt, without opening your cloak. Its akin to having a closed backpack, that thieves can't steal from, but you can still get things out of it without opening it.

If I have it all right, thats the situation Taven is looking to change, however slightly.

More or less. Yes, I think that having cloaks open for access to weapons makes a lot more sense. However, mostly I just want to be able to see said weapons and torso spot.