Guarding

Started by Yasbusta, May 10, 2011, 07:16:04 PM

So I looked over previous post about guarding and I didn't see anything mentioned about this, perhaps I just didn't see it, so feel free to point me to a relevant post.

I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on the following

Guarding one person 100% of your guard skill
Guarding two people 60% on one person and 30% on the other, with a 10% loss due to the strain of trying to look over two people.

Obviously numbers would be assigned by the imms or something like the sort. But I am curious as to what people think about being able to watch over more than one person at a time.
At the lower end of the skill let them only be able to guard one person and maybe once you reach a certain point let them be able to start watching over two people.

Fell free to bash it, like it, comment about it, or just yell at me, all posts are welcome. :)

could work ok, but guarding someone (at least last I checked) drops my max stun by 10.  would guarding two people drop it by 20?
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal and Pancakes.

What happens if you're guarding two people and one of them attacks the other?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on May 10, 2011, 07:36:26 PM

Then guard would work as normal, you block the would-be attacker with success of failure. Actually makes for an interesting scenerio with one guy trying to keep his buddies from fighting.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: lordcooper on May 10, 2011, 07:36:26 PM

ERROR! ERROR!

Heh, I guess you would just protect the one being attacked.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I would have to say that yes it would drop your stun by twenty if it usually takes ten from you. And I agree you would protect your buddy from the aggressor.

I like the idea. Also something like guarding a person and guarding an exit. Like a soldier guarding a templar and blocking an exit.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Kind've like the ability that rangers have to hitch more than one mount at a time?

What if, let's say, your ability to hitch mounts and your ability to guard multiple objects/people was determined by your skill level?

Someone with Skill_Ride (Advanced ---> Master) could hitch two mounts. Someone with Skill_Guard (Advanced ---> Master) could guard two objects.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

You got it gunner, that's what I meant by at the lower end of the skill let them only be able to guard one person and maybe once you reach a certain point let them be able to start watching over two people.
You word it better though, :)

Well, both could use a bit of a tweak.

I always thought it was kind've weird how a day 1 ranger, with Skill_Ride (novice) could hitch two mounts while a warrior/etc. with Ride (Advanced) is still limited to just one. Yeah - I know Ranger's are "masters of the wilderness" but how does that really correlate with how many reins you can hold at once?  ???

And making guard possible for dual objects, I think, would be pretty neat - Given it has the proper disadvantages balancing it out. Extra drop to stun would be a big kicker, right there, but it would be personally "acceptable" if attempting to guard two things at once.

I think there should be a limit to what types of things you can guard, at the same time, though.

For example - Some things would have a limit of one, like directions.
1x Direction + 1x Object/Person
2x Objects
2x People
1x Object + 1x Person

Something like that.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 11, 2011, 01:27:56 AM
Something like that.

I like this idea, provided that you're effective guard skill drops when guarding two objects to show distraction. Also, I'd want a way to prioritize which was the main guard.

So...

Guard main templar
Guard other maiden

Check guard
- You are mainly guarding the templar
- You are also guarding the maiden

Switch guard
- You begin mainly guarding the maiden
- You begin also guarding the templar

Guard one
- You begin only guarding <main guardee>

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

That can work...
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I am liking the idea of multiple guard.

While we're on the subject of guarding...
We should do away with allowing people who are in the same clan as you pass without any argument.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Chettaman on May 12, 2011, 08:51:35 PM

We should do away with allowing people who are in the same clan as you pass without any argument.

The problem with that is when you get into big melee battles, and you start blocking your homies from fleeing out when they're wounded.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Multiple guard, yus.  Let's see that.  But for warriors only (same thing as guard skill (master)).

Simplicity would be preferable.

guard amos west

You begin guarding the tall, muscular man.
You begin guarding the west exit.

100/100hp 100/100mv 100/90st

guard amos

You stop guarding the west exit.

100/100hp 100/100mv 90/95st

guard amos bopeep

You begin guarding the tiny, auburn-ringletted girl.

100/100/hp 100/100mv 90/90st

You wouldn't have to limit it to warriors, because subclass guards and rangers wouldn't ever be good enough to be able to risk the penalty.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 13, 2011, 12:43:48 PM
You wouldn't have to limit it to warriors, because subclass guards and rangers wouldn't ever be good enough to be able to risk the penalty.

I disagree, the sub guild of guards should be able to do it as well, :P. Rangers I think your right though

Quote from: Chettaman on May 12, 2011, 08:51:35 PM

The reason why this can't be done I think is code restrictions for Arm 1. There isn't any way for npc guards to know who to let through.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

If I'm not mistaken, guild Warrior is the only one to 'master' guard, which was my point.  This should be a doinky feature of mastery.

Quote from: Kismetic on May 13, 2011, 03:18:55 PM

If I'm not mistaken, guild Warrior is the only one to 'master' guard, which was my point.  This should be a doinky feature of mastery.

My point was that it would be a feature of mastery, because it would be useless (as proposed) to anyone who wasn't a master.  You don't have to have a separate category of mastery when probability takes care of it.

That is, if you get -40% to your primary guard check, and a -70% to your secondary guard check, only someone who is 90% or better at guard would have a reasonable chance at guarding the primary, much less the secondary.  Someone whose guard skill is capped at 50/100 would only have something like a 30% chance of guarding his primary charge, and only a 15% chance of guarding the secondary.  That's just as good as not being able to do it at all, as far as I'm concerned.

That's not a bad idea, yeah.  As long as if you try it below a certain skill level, you get:

To guard more mofos would be pure chaos!

I hate guild restrictions. I'm much more in tune with the idea of skill knowledge restrictions. Let skill caps sort out who should and who shouldn't do things.

Also, I like the idea.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on May 16, 2011, 04:45:47 AM
I hate guild restrictions. I'm much more in tune with the idea of skill knowledge restrictions. Let skill caps sort out who should and who shouldn't do things.

Also, I like the idea.

"Guild restriction" is just another term for a skill cap of zero.  ;)