Numerous foes

Started by Marauder Moe, May 01, 2011, 03:03:33 PM

While people seem to be in the mood for minor Arm 1 code updates...  ;D

One problem I've noticed in mass combat is determining exactly who and how many people are attacking someone.  Currently you have to do it by picking through the room occupants list, which is very hard to do when it's a long list and/or attacks are flooding the screen.  I propose a command to give you a better/faster idea of a combat situation:

foe [target]

>foe

You are attacking:
   a lean yellow-skinned gith
You are being attacked by:
   a hunched red gith
   a gnarled brown gith

> foe Amos

The tall muscular man is attacking:
   a gnarled brown gith
The tall muscular man is being attacked by:

I think this would let people use tactics more easily in large combats and determine more accurately when someone is in trouble.

Great idea!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

This would have been supremely helpful to just about any and all of my combat characters.  Even when you've only got a few opponents, the screen scroll can get intense.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on May 01, 2011, 03:03:33 PM
While people seem to be in the mood for minor Arm 1 code updates...  ;D

One problem I've noticed in mass combat is determining exactly who and how many people are attacking someone.  Currently you have to do it by picking through the room occupants list, which is very hard to do when it's a long list and/or attacks are flooding the screen.  I propose a command to give you a better/faster idea of a combat situation:

foe [target]

>foe

You are attacking:
  1) a lean yellow-skinned gith
You are being attacked by:
  1) a lean yellow-skinned gith
  2) a hunched red gith
  3) a gnarled brown gith

> foe Amos

The tall muscular man is attacking:
  1) a gnarled brown gith
The tall muscular man is being attacked by:
  1) a gnarled brown gith
  2) a lean yellow-skinned gith
  3) a lean yellow-skinned gith

I think this would let people use tactics more easily in large combats and determine more accurately when someone is in trouble.

I like this idea but I would have it number the opponents as well. Matching the numbers assigned if you are both attacking them and being attacked by them.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jhunter on May 01, 2011, 03:10:30 PMI like this idea but I would have it number the opponents as well. Matching the numbers assigned if you are both attacking them and being attacked by them.
Perhaps.  Numbers would imply some meaning for other commands though, like rescue and change opponents, which I suspect would significantly increase the complexity of implementing it and decrease the chances someone up in the sky will want to do it.

What about just adding an asterisk (*) or something on the "attacked by" list that matched the "attacking" target?

Oh I'd love the fuck out of this.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

FANTASTIC idea, but I think it should also function akin to 'keyword', by offering you a number.identifier for you to interact with foes. This would fix the problem of:

The Labyrinth [NS]
It's dirty here. People are trying to kill you, and, also, other people. There are some rats.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak is here, fighting the figure in a dark hooded cloak.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak is here, fighting you!
The figure in a dark hooded cloak is here, fighting the figure in a dark hooded cloak.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak is here, fighting you!
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

I dig Moe's idea.  A lot.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Winning.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

I'd use the shit out of it. Definitely.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Great idea Moe. I'm all for this.

Excellent idea. That sort of thing would be incredibly useful during combat RPTs.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Can it be something other than foe? Foe is a mashed typo away from flee (and probably a lot of peoples aliases for it).

Maybe 'opp' for opponent or 'enemy'?

And this is a -fantastic- idea.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I dig this.  And yeah, it should be opp not foe.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

'Target' perhaps?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Or how about 'combat'?
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Combat seems good.

Personally I wouldn't care all that much what the command is called, though.  I'd probably just alias it regardless.   :)

I think either opponents or combat.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I'm down with opp.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Ya, you know me.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

No matter what it is, this is a really good idea that will simplify fighting in general, and make things less "OOPS" during a hectic situation. While still leaving room for "OOPS I MEANT TO ATTACK THE ENEMY NOT MY ALLY!"

OOPSIES. DONE KILLED MY BROWN-HAIRED SERGEANT INSTEAD OF THAT BROWN-BAOBAB, UNDERSLINGING TARANTULA. MY BAD.