A tregil smirks as you miss an uppercut

Started by Majikal, April 21, 2011, 07:19:57 PM

Quote from: Majikal on May 06, 2011, 06:51:19 PM
Seems the people most in favor of shliffing people up are those that don't understand the code involved.

One could say the same about many who are against them as well.

Yes, they are somewhat broken. It -can- currently be dealt with through IC means though. Rather than get rid of them, I say do as I suggested earlier to fix the problem. Also, one has to keep in mind the obvious exaggeration that people who are unable to hit an opponent -at all- are beating them to death with those items alone. I know I've been on the dealing and receiving end of those items over the years and I've never experienced it. Is it possible for it to happen? Sure in theory, but the way combat code works and the way characters can be trained makes it very -unlikely- for that to actually be the case, much less for it to be a common occurance. The pricing thing? Well, that's really both the player's and the staff's fault for both creating OOC restrictions on them and for paying too much for them because OOCly they're nifty. I say make them cheap, make them common, and make them (with the exception of really fancy ones) pc craftable. Add more other items that give other coded benefits intead of an extra attack for people to choose from.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

It's not a problem when it's 1 v 1.

But when you're going 3 v 1 and pwning noobs but getting hit 6 times a round for 2 damage apiece just by the stupid fucking bracers, and the noob bitches fighting you can't even touch you with their weapons, that's when it gets aggravating as hell.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 06, 2011, 09:00:13 PM

But when you're going 3 v 1 and pwning noobs but getting hit 6 times a round for 2 damage apiece just by the stupid fucking bracers, and the noob bitches fighting you can't even touch you with their weapons, that's when it gets aggravating as hell.

Wouldn't it be quite unlikely that three noobs could get their hands on two bracers each? And all know each other enough to gang up on you?
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on May 06, 2011, 09:04:28 PM

Wouldn't it be quite unlikely that three noobs could get their hands on two bracers each? And all know each other enough to gang up on you?

When you're badass enough, 99% of the PCs in game are noob-like (in melee).

In the situation you just described it is not just the way bracers work allowing them to hit you. You are suffering a penalty of sorts in that situation that is allowing them to hit you and I'm sure you know that.

Quote from: jhunter on May 06, 2011, 09:17:34 PM
In the situation you just described it is not just the way bracers work allowing them to hit you. You are suffering a penalty of sorts in that situation that is allowing them to hit you and I'm sure you know that.

If only the bracers are hitting you, something is wrong.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 06, 2011, 09:19:36 PM

If only the bracers are hitting you, something is wrong.

Could be that with that many people your pc is focused on dealing with all the weapons flying at them and the oddball stuff is getting through. That seems a reasonable explanation. Also, it's obvious they're not as much noob compared to you as you think if the penalty allows their base attack to get past your base defense. What I mean is, if the same situation occured but none of you were using weapons, you'd be taken down fairly easy by them because even -more- of their attacks would land on you then.

Oh, I see what you mean now Synthesis. I can see how it is silly that someone who can't hit you with a punch, dagger, sword or spear could somehow manage to hit you with a spiked bracer.

Still don't see it happening in all but the rare bunch-of-people-being-twinks way though. Someone who was in the top range (above 99% of PCs) should be able to wtfpwn three noobs quite easily though, even if they're actually 2-hp hiting him regularly, right? I've seen a few such PCs in my time playing, and they could easily kill three or even four other PCs at once if they wanted far too quickly to be whittled down to nothing.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

This is not a code discussion area, and this discussion is becoming very sketchy at best, from my perspective.

To stop beating around the bush, I don't think anyone knows exactly how they work, and your claim that you do is bullshit.

jhunter wasn't claiming to know to know how they work, strawman.  He claimed to have never seen them do what others said they were doing and he claimed to have a working understanding of combat.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

May 07, 2011, 10:28:17 AM #136 Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:34:58 AM by Potaje
Quote from: Synthesis on May 06, 2011, 09:14:08 PM

I have myself dealt with the bracers and gloves. I believe it is untrue about them being so unbalanced in the sense that a better trained person could be taken by a lessor trained person solely based on the actions of the code on these items.

If you character is as bad ass as you would think they are, then they would avoid being hit. It is possible to evade the blows, and consistently.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on May 07, 2011, 10:28:17 AM

When you bad ass enough, not even bracers with spikes can touch you. This I know for a fact. Beef up you D.

Once again, if the only thing hitting you is the bracers, something is wrong.  I know perfectly well that it's possible to dodge them, and I said as much earlier, if you'd bothered reading the rest of the thread.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 07, 2011, 10:32:00 AM

When you bad ass enough, not even bracers with spikes can touch you. This I know for a fact. Beef up you D.

Once again, if the only thing hitting you is the bracers, something is wrong.  I know perfectly well that it's possible to dodge them, and I said as much earlier, if you'd bothered reading the rest of the thread.

So the only defense against them is to twink out your combat skills?

Cool.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 07, 2011, 10:32:00 AM

I love it when the hate comes out, Sure I read parts of the thread, till it became redundant, so perhaps I missed you other bits.

My point if you bothered to stop and offer it some thought was that perhaps there is nothing wrong with the fact that weapons can not touch you through the complexity of one situation but given another your simply not prepared to fully defend it.

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

So I'm supposed to be a mind-reader and anticipate arguments you'd make that are two to three premises removed from what you actually said?  Okay, then.  ::)

But to address your new argument (which has already been made, by the way, if you'd bothered reading the rest of the thread):  it's just highly implausible that, in a situation where you aren't good enough to hit someone with a knife, because he's actively fending you off, that you could hit him with what amounts to a knife strapped to your wrist. 

Can we not parry arms?  Can we not block them with shields?  The only way this makes sense is if you are an ethereal or inter-dimensional being.

Synthesis: 1   Potaje: 0
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I highly doubt the limited vision you share here, and more satirical quips limit you from envisioning the fact that perhaps their is a compound calculation of attacks when the spiked gear is assisting a weapon in place.

Your "Shield" or "parry" just isn't good enough to defend all that attacks, and the opponent "Obviously" drew in around it.
Had he been better trained. then no, the spiked gear would not have touch them. Period.

QuoteHad he been better trained. then no, the spiked gear would not have touch them. Period.

Quote from: Marshmellow on May 07, 2011, 09:58:37 AM
jhunter wasn't claiming to know to know how they work, strawman.  He claimed to have never seen them do what others said they were doing and he claimed to have a working understanding of combat.

Whatever, man. The fact remains that they add an element to combat that is unique to them, plus they are "limited" and artificially expensive, which was the original complaint.

Arguments that you should just buy one yourself or "train better" aren't addressing the issue.

Are you going to add to the discussion at all or just jump in to troll?

Quote from: jhunter on May 07, 2011, 12:03:48 PM
Are you going to add to the discussion at all or just jump in to troll?

So I'm trolling for calling out your non-sequitur of an argument?

Argument A: The item is unique and adds something to combat that cannot be reproduced without said item. Said item is also unrealistically hard to obtain and expensive.
Argument B: Well if it adds something to combat, obviously your character isn't buff enough. He should have learned to dodge better.

Huh?

You're completely missing the point. I'm not going to waste time re-explaining it over and over again.  ::) You're trolling for blatantly being rude to me for my stance on one part of the discussion. I agree with the other part of the discussion.

Quote from: Potaje on May 07, 2011, 11:02:58 AM
I highly doubt the limited vision you share here, and more satirical quips limit you from envisioning the fact that perhaps their is a compound calculation of attacks when the spiked gear is assisting a weapon in place.

Your "Shield" or "parry" just isn't good enough to defend all that attacks, and the opponent "Obviously" drew in around it.
Had he been better trained. then no, the spiked gear would not have touch them. Period.

Okay, I wouldn't have a problem with the whole thing if "wrist-razor usage" was a separate skill that you could train (maybe it is...I never was able to play around with the razor weapons skill, much).  However, the idea that someone who has just been regularly sparring throughout his life, and be unable to so much as touch a particular opponent, then strap on a wrist-razor or spiked bracer and suddenly be able to whack them in the face without fail is ludicrous.

Furthermore, this doesn't even begin to address the question of why there isn't any armor that can protect against them.

Overall, though, I think they would be fixed if the script had a critical fail attached to it:  if you swipe at someone and they're that much better than you (or you roll a natural 1 in the RNG), they get a free attack on your wrist.  Also, there should be a minor nerf to your attack speed while wearing them, perhaps after rounds where you attempt strikes with the razors/bracers, because if you're spending so much time trying to penetrate your opponent's defenses with bracer backhands, you can't possibly be spending the same amount of time mounting weapon attacks as you would have been, previously.

Oh, but then they wouldn't be nearly as desirable, from a code perspective.

May 07, 2011, 04:12:08 PM #149 Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 04:14:32 PM by Lizzie
Wow this thread has gone off topic, to great lengths and extremes.

Why not open a new thread to discuss the code of razor weapons, which can be summarily locked after too many people start talking too much about how the code does/does not work, or how they're not making changes to the code, and they don't want suggestions for Reborn anymore?

This thread, is a gripe about how a couple of items INCLUDING SHEATHS WHICH HAVE NO COMBAT FUNCTION AT ALL have been designated ultra rare, special order only, order at least a year in advance, once per month per merchant who's selling it, at game-staff-dictated minimum prices which are artifically created only to justify the fact that they're rare. Which - if you go by their mdescs, they shouldn't be rare. Or special order, or advance order, or one month per merchant, or expensive.

They're just not that fancy. That includes the sheaths. Which have no combat function at all.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.