Code/Craft Wish: Spearmaking

Started by Thunkkin, April 20, 2011, 12:30:06 PM

April 20, 2011, 12:30:06 PM Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 02:21:40 PM by Thunkkin
Those of you with certain subguilds will know what I'm talkin' 'bout here.

Craft large branch of agafari (or) long agafari branch (or) large branch of baobab (or) thick branch of baobab:
You could craft a long wooden pole from that.
You could craft a short wooden pole from that.

Crafted Item Information:
No new info needed, since these would result in the poles already coded in game.

Craft Information:
Ingredients:
large branch of agafari (or) long agafari branch (or) large branch of baobab (or) thick branch of baobab

What is Left upon Failure:
Nothing. Ab-sooo-luuuute-leee NOTHING!

Skill: Spearkmaking

Difficulty: Apprentice (make some spearheads first, chum)

Duration: Medium

Success Message to Crafter:
You strip, cut, and sand the branch into a smooth pole.

Success Message to Room:
$N strips, cuts, and sands a branch into a smooth pole.

Failure Message to Crafter:
The branch is too crooked to be usable for anything. Damn.

Failure Message to Room:
$N produces a crooked and useless piece of wood. HA ha.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I'm anti-nothing-left-upon-failure. I like all the above, except that. My contribution:

What is left upon failure: a couple splinters of wood.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I dig this idea.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Poles are solidly in the purview of another skill.  Your suggestion would confuse the crafting system for people that have both the skill needed for crafting poles as well as the skill needed to craft spears.  (It would show two recipes that are identical and would ask the user to "be more specific.") 

This does seem annoying, but I do not think this is the best solution.  I'll do some research.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Maybe make people branch that other skill with enough spearmaking skill? That way people with that skill are still useful for the start of a spearmaker's career, but aren't vital to a master spearmaker.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on April 20, 2011, 01:32:35 PM
Maybe make people branch that other skill with enough spearmaking skill? That way people with that skill are still useful for the start of a spearmaker's career, but aren't vital to a master spearmaker.

Make people branch the skill they need to make items to make spears by having enough spearmaking skill?

???
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Nyr on April 20, 2011, 01:29:27 PM
This does seem annoying, but I do not think this is the best solution.  I'll do some research.

Good points, Nyr, and thanks for looking into it.

Characters who can make swords, knives, bows, armor, etc., are able to make some finished products without relying on other characters. While I approve of generally encouraging characters to interact with each other to get things done, making a simple spear doesn't fall under that heading for me. On the other hand, yes, this would get tricky for merchants to know which crafting skill was being used to create said pole.
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Nyr on April 20, 2011, 01:49:12 PM
Quote from: SMuz on April 20, 2011, 01:32:35 PM

Make people branch the skill they need to make items to make spears by having enough spearmaking skill?

???

He means spearmaking could branch the crafting skill that currently makes poles. You'd make spearheads until one day your could make spear poles. Unfortunately, subguild skills don't branch and this idea would screw up merchants in weird ways.
Sarge?

Shouldn't one with the spearmaking skill be able to start off making simple wooden or bone spears without a spearhead of stone to start with? I would think for spearmaking that making a stone spearhead would be the more advanced part of it.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jhunter on April 20, 2011, 02:07:45 PM
Shouldn't one with the spearmaking skill be able to start off making simple wooden or bone spears without a spearhead of stone to start with? I would think for spearmaking that making a stone spearhead would be the more advanced part of it.

They can.  Poles and spearheads are not universal ingredients in spearmaking.

As another note, when this was brought up, again, a few months past, I started looking for poles in-game.  They're quite readily available.  Not as easy as some items, but they are available.

Not a solution, but a workaround.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Quote from: Marc on April 20, 2011, 02:09:37 PM
As another note, when this was brought up, again, a few months past, I started looking for poles in-game.  They're quite readily available.  Not as easy as some items, but they are available.

Yeah, I never thought it was gamebreaking, just annoying.  It may just remain that way, but worth a glance.

Quote from: jhunter on April 20, 2011, 02:07:45 PM

They can.  Poles and spearheads are not universal ingredients in spearmaking.

Ahhh okay. I was just wondering. It's one of the skills I've never personally used yet.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

They can.  Poles and spearheads are not universal ingredients in spearmaking.

Huh, well, this is probably my newbness showing through. Back to the drawing crafting board! I suppose I was spoiled by knifemaking.
Sarge?

I created a spearmaking item that takes a little bit of skill, but doesn't use a wooden pole, and only uses items you can easily find around Allanak (going no farther than about 4 rooms out the gates).  Go figure it out, noobs.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.