Quit Revamp

Started by Feco, April 18, 2011, 01:52:30 PM

Nyr,

Is there really a problem with adding a subguild that allows outdoor quitting?

QuoteI'm probably wrong but if they disabled ranger quit it's my opinion rangers would still be the most popularly played class.

I don't think you are wrong. I think you're spot on.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

April 20, 2011, 01:13:59 PM #77 Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:16:38 PM by NOFUN
Quote from: drunkendwarf on April 20, 2011, 12:54:43 PM
Quote from: NOFUN on April 20, 2011, 11:31:42 AM
If you're sick of hearing the ranger nerf argument than try offering something that isn't "Waaah I want my PC to be able to kill twenty gith like only a warrior/magicker could and explore the world like only a ranger could"

The reason commoners tolerate the oppression of the templarate is because it's safer inside a city state than in the wilds. Your commoner isn't going to set up camp outside of the walls just because he/she feels like it, infact if your character has had very little experience with the wilds he/she is going to do everything he/she can do to avoid it. The wilds are supposed to be dangerous. If rangers get so many cool things then play one. Your commoner shouldn't be going into the wilds to find shit on there own, that's why rangers even exist. Don't know where the log out rooms are? Tough shit.

You don't. Magickers are over populated as it is, the last thing they need is the cool skills that are exclusive to mundanes. Magickers can conjure food, water and some don't even need mounts because they have some kind of magick that lets them move from place to place easily. The problem with magickers being able to quit outside is that every single PC mage would go rogue.

I promise you, if every one was able to quit outside rangers would become rarer than merchants, you say they get all these cool things but the only things that spring to mind are foraging for food/poison/sneak (Which an assassin can do all of, anyway) if rangers did have things that are seemingly as OP as you make them out to be this thread wouldn't even exist as every one would be a ranger.

First off, rangers get several things that assassins don't, and vice versa. Comparing the two is just silly. Even in your example...assassins can NOT forage for food.
Second off, my argument isn't "Waaah I want my PC to be able to kill twenty gith like only a warrior/magicker could and explore the world like only a ranger could". It's if I want to play any kind of outdoor character concept, it's very difficult to do with anything other than a ranger. I said this is fine when it comes to most character concepts, you just have to deal with the ranger skill set and make due. But it doesn't work whatsoever with a mage. Who said anything about pwning the world with my mage? I've had a mage that wanted nothing to do with killing folks or pwning anything - his ultimate goal was to make an awesome garden out in the middle of nowhere.
Not all magickers can conjure food or water. In fact, very few can. Not all have magicks that allow them to move from place to place easily.
I highly disagree rangers would become rare if everyone could quit outside. They have an incredibly useful skill set for wandering the wilds and staying alive.
The problem is the line between IC and OOC is blurred here - people seem to think the ability to quit out is a 'skill'. I see quitting out as purely an OOC action. People are equating quitting out in the wilds as your character setting up camp and indefinitely sitting there with plenty of food/water. So if I quit out in a stable somewhere, is it assumed my character is setting up camp in the stables indefinitely? No. I find this view just silly. I will often times quit out for RL weeks at a time - to imagine my character sitting in the stable this whole time just silly. There's no real good IC explanation for when a character is logged off. Some things are just OOC. Quitting out is one of them.
'Wish up' people say. That doesn't work, especially for off peak characters. I've had to try before, and got no response, had to cut link and logged in several hours later to find my character still just sitting there. Any reliance upon the staff for this is just unreliable. They're not always around.

Quote from: NOFUN on April 20, 2011, 11:52:59 AM
Quote from: jhunter on April 20, 2011, 11:50:09 AM
Don't be a troll.

Not trolling. Giving an honest opinion.

If your pickpocket can log-off outside with a tent why can't my ranger steal? After all, they're both something every human is capable of doing.

Oh, right. My ranger would get caught every time because my ranger hasn't had any experience stealing.
A pickpocket can survive in the wilderness because.. well.. oh.

Stealing is not an OOC action. Quitting out is.

Read through this about three times and couldn't find an argument that isn't "Waaah I want my PC to be able to kill twenty gith like only a warrior/magicker could and explore the world like only a ranger could"

Not a ranger? Stay in the walls and be a family man.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

I think it'd be neat to have () and [] emotes for quit. :)

> quit (flopping wearily onto her bunk)
Flopping wearily onto her bunk, the round, cockeyed dwarf has departed from the land of Zalanthas.
Come back soon!

You may:
     (C) Disconnect from character      (V) Toggle ANSI/VT100 mode   
     (B) Toggle 'brief' menus           (D) Documentation menu       
     (M) Mail menu                      (S) Stats of your character   
     (E) Enter Zalanthas                (X) Exit Armageddon           
     (?) Read menu options         

Armageddon is OPEN.

Quote from: drunkendwarf on April 20, 2011, 01:10:34 PM
Nyr,

Drunkendwarf,

I don't think I understand the question.  I can think of several obstacles to doing this; I can also see that this thread isn't about a subguild for quitting but people seem to want to discuss that.

Quote from: NOFUN on April 20, 2011, 01:13:59 PM
Read through this about three times and couldn't find an argument that isn't "Waaah I want my PC to be able to kill twenty gith like only a warrior/magicker could and explore the world like only a ranger could"

NOFUN,

Don't troll.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: NOFUN on April 20, 2011, 01:13:59 PM
Quote from: drunkendwarf on April 20, 2011, 12:54:43 PM
Quote from: NOFUN on April 20, 2011, 11:31:42 AM
If you're sick of hearing the ranger nerf argument than try offering something that isn't "Waaah I want my PC to be able to kill twenty gith like only a warrior/magicker could and explore the world like only a ranger could"

The reason commoners tolerate the oppression of the templarate is because it's safer inside a city state than in the wilds. Your commoner isn't going to set up camp outside of the walls just because he/she feels like it, infact if your character has had very little experience with the wilds he/she is going to do everything he/she can do to avoid it. The wilds are supposed to be dangerous. If rangers get so many cool things then play one. Your commoner shouldn't be going into the wilds to find shit on there own, that's why rangers even exist. Don't know where the log out rooms are? Tough shit.

You don't. Magickers are over populated as it is, the last thing they need is the cool skills that are exclusive to mundanes. Magickers can conjure food, water and some don't even need mounts because they have some kind of magick that lets them move from place to place easily. The problem with magickers being able to quit outside is that every single PC mage would go rogue.

I promise you, if every one was able to quit outside rangers would become rarer than merchants, you say they get all these cool things but the only things that spring to mind are foraging for food/poison/sneak (Which an assassin can do all of, anyway) if rangers did have things that are seemingly as OP as you make them out to be this thread wouldn't even exist as every one would be a ranger.

First off, rangers get several things that assassins don't, and vice versa. Comparing the two is just silly. Even in your example...assassins can NOT forage for food.
Second off, my argument isn't "Waaah I want my PC to be able to kill twenty gith like only a warrior/magicker could and explore the world like only a ranger could". It's if I want to play any kind of outdoor character concept, it's very difficult to do with anything other than a ranger. I said this is fine when it comes to most character concepts, you just have to deal with the ranger skill set and make due. But it doesn't work whatsoever with a mage. Who said anything about pwning the world with my mage? I've had a mage that wanted nothing to do with killing folks or pwning anything - his ultimate goal was to make an awesome garden out in the middle of nowhere.
Not all magickers can conjure food or water. In fact, very few can. Not all have magicks that allow them to move from place to place easily.
I highly disagree rangers would become rare if everyone could quit outside. They have an incredibly useful skill set for wandering the wilds and staying alive.
The problem is the line between IC and OOC is blurred here - people seem to think the ability to quit out is a 'skill'. I see quitting out as purely an OOC action. People are equating quitting out in the wilds as your character setting up camp and indefinitely sitting there with plenty of food/water. So if I quit out in a stable somewhere, is it assumed my character is setting up camp in the stables indefinitely? No. I find this view just silly. I will often times quit out for RL weeks at a time - to imagine my character sitting in the stable this whole time just silly. There's no real good IC explanation for when a character is logged off. Some things are just OOC. Quitting out is one of them.
'Wish up' people say. That doesn't work, especially for off peak characters. I've had to try before, and got no response, had to cut link and logged in several hours later to find my character still just sitting there. Any reliance upon the staff for this is just unreliable. They're not always around.

Quote from: NOFUN on April 20, 2011, 11:52:59 AM
Quote from: jhunter on April 20, 2011, 11:50:09 AM
Don't be a troll.

Not trolling. Giving an honest opinion.

If your pickpocket can log-off outside with a tent why can't my ranger steal? After all, they're both something every human is capable of doing.

Oh, right. My ranger would get caught every time because my ranger hasn't had any experience stealing.
A pickpocket can survive in the wilderness because.. well.. oh.

Stealing is not an OOC action. Quitting out is.

Not a ranger? Stay in the walls and be a family man.

Read it again.

Quote from: Samira on April 20, 2011, 01:17:51 PM
I think it'd be neat to have () and [] emotes for quit. :)

This is about all the quit revamp I'd love to see  ;D
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Nyr on April 20, 2011, 01:18:37 PM
Nyr,

Drunkendwarf,
I don't think I understand the question.  I can think of several obstacles to doing this; I can also see that this thread isn't about a subguild for quitting but people seem to want to discuss that.

Well, it looked like it was qutting revamp, and an argument that everyone should be able to do it. I didn't think it to be much of a jump to offer up a suggestion everyone be able to do it with a subguild. I know there would be obstacles to implementing a subguild that allows outdoor quitting, I've just thought this to be a decent suggestion that would allow some more playability to the playerbase when it comes to wanting to play an outdoorsy character but not having to be pinned down to a ranger because of it, especially when it comes to mages. I think it's fairly clear that the staff aren't going to touch this in Arm1, but a man can always hope as I don't have any plans to play Arm2 when it comes out.

Quote from: jhunter on April 20, 2011, 01:12:11 PM
QuoteI'm probably wrong but if they disabled ranger quit it's my opinion rangers would still be the most popularly played class.

I don't think you are wrong. I think you're spot on.

I would definitely play ranger even without the outside quit. It was the first guild I picked, and most of the time I chose them, it had nothing to do with them being outdoors quitters. If that's the only remarkable trait that a ranger has, then it's a horrible guild.

Quitting is really about OOC convenience. Few other skills are as OOC convenient as quitting. Perhaps racial walking speed or being able to hold more stuff or maybe climb, but even then, it's not as convenient as just being able to quit anywhere.

I get that the outdoors is supposed to be scary to anyone who isn't a ranger. But it's just such horrible game design to discourage by spanking people OOC. It probably can't be changed because of the way the outdoors map is already designed and such, but I hope Armageddon Reborn has a better alternative.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

April 20, 2011, 01:36:28 PM #84 Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:40:43 PM by NOFUN
I've just thought this to be a decent suggestion that would allow some more playability to the playerbase when it comes to wanting to play an outdoorsy character but not having to be pinned down to a ranger because of it, especially when it comes to mages.
I'd like to be able to disarm people without being pinned down to a warrior. I'd also like to be able to cast magick from all types of magick without being pinned down to a sorcerer because that whole everyone wanting to kill me thing is rather inconvenient.
[/snarkiness]
I'd like to see a feature that allows rangers to log other people off outside of a save-point, that would make them even more useful as a travelling companion.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

I made a new thread, if it's a quit thing not related to rangers: http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,41125.0.html

Otherwise, carry on.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: NOFUN on April 20, 2011, 01:36:28 PM
I've just thought this to be a decent suggestion that would allow some more playability to the playerbase when it comes to wanting to play an outdoorsy character but not having to be pinned down to a ranger because of it, especially when it comes to mages.
I'd like to be able to disarm people without being pinned down to a warrior. I'd also like to be able to cast magick from all types of magick without being pinned down to a sorcerer because that whole everyone wanting to kill me thing is rather inconvenient.
[/snarkiness]
I'd like to see a feature that allows rangers to log other people off outside of a save-point, that would make even more useful for a travelling companion.

I'd like to be able to post on the GDB without temporarily banning people for trolling.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quick question for staff:
If I have an emergency and need to log NOW and I wish up and no one is around or responds, is there a value to changing my objective to something that indicates that I needed to go and would appreciate if someone would get rid of me?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: drunkendwarf on April 20, 2011, 01:28:18 PM
Quote from: Nyr on April 20, 2011, 01:18:37 PM
Nyr,

Drunkendwarf,

Well, it looked like it was qutting revamp, and an argument that everyone should be able to do it. I didn't think it to be much of a jump to offer up a suggestion everyone be able to do it with a subguild. I know there would be obstacles to implementing a subguild that allows outdoor quitting, I've just thought this to be a decent suggestion that would allow some more playability to the playerbase when it comes to wanting to play an outdoorsy character but not having to be pinned down to a ranger because of it, especially when it comes to mages. I think it's fairly clear that the staff aren't going to touch this in Arm1, but a man can always hope as I don't have any plans to play Arm2 when it comes out.

Ah...in that case, yes, I do see a problem with it for many of the same reasons the staff position is officially against the OP stuff.

Quote from: Barzalene on April 20, 2011, 01:42:14 PM
Quick question for staff:
If I have an emergency and need to log NOW and I wish up and no one is around or responds, is there a value to changing my objective to something that indicates that I needed to go and would appreciate if someone would get rid of me?

Probably better to toss in a request along with your wish/objective change (assuming you have the time, if not, objective is fine...no guarantee that it will be noticed quickly, though.  you wouldn't be on the wholist for us, being disconnected).