Auto-logout after losing link

Started by SMuz, April 17, 2011, 03:42:09 AM

I think the game should automatically log you out if you've lost link for 30-60 minutes.

As it is, losing link in certain areas ('rinth, outdoors) can be a death sentence. It's almost a textbook argument against permadeath. If your house is hit by a blackout for a few hours, your char is as good as dead.

The period should be long enough to still give a ranger an advantage outdoors, where rangers can quit safely and non-rangers need to find a safe cave or something or be possibly killed.

I can't really think of any reason why they shouldn't be auto-logout after a long enough period of time. Just standing there doing nothing doesn't add anything to the game. If people are quitting to avoid fights, they'd still be there for half an hour. If they just sit there doing nothing, they become a target for twink raiders and pickpockets, and I personally don't like attacking someone because they may be link-dead.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Yeah. I don't suppose I would be against this.

If someone goes idle for 30-45 minutes, have the game auto-log them out.

They're still open to being brutally and mercilessly slaughtered by some random PC/NPC, if in the wilderness, and if in a city - They're still vulnerable to being mugged/stolen from.

It beats leaving a bunch of link-dead newbies standing around until the next reboot.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

The common argument against this is that people would use it to be able to avoid finding quit rooms in the wilderness and/or to avoid dangerous situations, but I've always seen that as a pretty flimsy reason.

I always try to wish up and get linkdead folks logged off when I find them--especially if I find them somewhere dangerous--but an automated solution would be nice. Sometimes there aren't staff around.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have lost a lot of PCs while linkdead due to a stint of living in the middle of nowhere with satellite internet. I'd like to think that even one or two of them may have lived longer if this feature had been implemented back then.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

I'm all for it. The longer time period means you can't use it to escape any but the most glacial of people chasing you, and it would save people from loosing a character if they are logged on when a blackout hits.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I'm definitely for something like this, but I believe staff have said in the past that ginka has no way of codedly knowing when a player has dropped link, so implementing something like this may be difficult.

Quote from: Rhyden on April 17, 2011, 11:05:26 AM
I'm definitely for something like this, but I believe staff have said in the past that ginka has no way of codedly knowing when a player has dropped link, so implementing something like this may be difficult.

I thought it did know, because it gives you that notification when people lose link. And there's that thing that prevents starvation/thirst among idle characters.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on April 17, 2011, 11:28:06 AM
Quote from: Rhyden on April 17, 2011, 11:05:26 AM

I thought it did know, because it gives you that notification when people lose link. And there's that thing that prevents starvation/thirst among idle characters.

Even if it can't tell 100% of the time, I'm sure whoever does get autologged would appreciate it.

I really don't see an issue with this as long as it's 30-60 minutes.  That almost completely removes the chance to abuse it, in my opinion.  It seems that most people around here think OOC comes first.  Losing link is a serious OOC issue.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

One possible solution:

Set the auto-logout to require a human input to cancel it.

If:
  a) Player has not sent a command to the MUD in the last 25 minutes
  OR
  b) Player has only sent the same command (a prompt ping) to the MUD in the last 25 minutes

Then:  Send an echo and a beep to the player:  "Ginka has detected that you may be linkdead, and will disconnect you automatically if you do not respond within 5 minutes.  Type 'cancel' without quotation marks to stay connected."

If:
  Player types 'cancel.'
Then:
  Do not log player out.
Else:
  Log player out.

The only downside is that people could abuse it to circumvent the quit-safe room restriction for non-rangers.  On the other hand, you could add a functionality to the quit command such that non-rangers would have to go through a similar 30-minute process in order to quit out in the wilderness.

Or, you know...we could just all agree that having to be a "ranger" to quit the game whenever and wherever you need to is a fucking dumbass idea.  I'm 30 years old, with kids and shit to do...and sometimes that shit doesn't conform nicely to my planned gaming activities.  Let a motherfucker log out when he needs to, and stop worrying about whether twinks will do this or that, or class balance, and blah-fucking-blah.  God DAMN.  I am so fucking sick and tired of hearing my wife bitch at me over my shoulder while I'm moseying as quick as I can to a quit room that I hardly log in anymore.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Another example of coding to prevent the twinking of a few hurts others ability to play and enjoy the game.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Arm 2 has code built in to auto-log out idlers and people who have lost link.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

The code in Arm 1 that stops you getting hungrier and thirstier after like an hour?  If you did nothing but change that to boot the idler out of the game, I think it'd be a very reasonable solution.

Quote from: Synthesis on April 17, 2011, 01:08:46 PM
  b) Player has only sent the same command (a prompt ping) to the MUD in the last 25 minutes

If your client's sending commands to the MUD, you ain't lost link (and you're probably idling in a "safe" location, anyway).
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on April 18, 2011, 10:26:04 AM
The code in Arm 1 that stops you getting hungrier and thirstier after like an hour?  If you did nothing but change that to boot the idler out of the game, I think it'd be a very reasonable solution.

Quote from: Synthesis on April 17, 2011, 01:08:46 PM

If your client's sending commands to the MUD, you ain't lost link (and you're probably idling in a "safe" location, anyway).

People aren't always AFK because they want to be.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Now THIS suggestion I can agree with, very much.  8)

No complaint here....just another reason to be excited for Arm 2 :]

Quote from: Morgenes on April 17, 2011, 02:28:28 PM

Will this be toggleable? The reason I ask is sometimes I'm idling and going back and forth between other things on my comp and doing mundane stuff solo in game. It would stink for it to autolog me when I am idle-playing and don't get back to my client soon enough.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jhunter on April 19, 2011, 03:44:30 PM
Quote from: Morgenes on April 17, 2011, 02:28:28 PM

Will this be toggleable? The reason I ask is sometimes I'm idling and going back and forth between other things on my comp and doing mundane stuff solo in game. It would stink for it to autolog me when I am idle-playing and don't get back to my client soon enough.
Currently it Is not an optional thing. It is pretty easy to defeat by setting up your client to send a newline every x amount of time.

We do give a warning message a minute before logout that you could trigger on in your client and send a newline or play a sound or whatever.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

If you're idling any longer than 10-15 minutes you should be logged out anyway really. If you get a chance to hit enter every 10 minutes you'd be fine.