Concerning weather and zone boundaries

Started by Salt Merchant, April 12, 2011, 02:08:40 PM

Recently, the issue of weather and looking across zone boundaries was raised.

One can stand at the edge of a zone boundary and see the full distance into another zone, even if that zone is caught up in the sandstorm of a King's Age.

Someone pointed out that you can use the weather command to check the weather ahead of one. You can, but it's a half-assed solution at best.

Leaving things as they are leads to all sorts of absurd situations, like being able to shoot arrows at someone who is embedded in the depths of a storm in the next room and can't see the hand in front of his face. Like walking into a storm, as though one couldn't see it coming. Like spotting a mage trying to anonymously cast a spell.

Yes, technically, one can use the weather command. That requires you to either type weather after each move, or know where the zone boundaries are. I don't think either is a reasonable expectation.

If the staff doesn't have time to implement the change, I wish they'd just say so, instead of pointing to a half-ass solution and locking a thread. Frankly, I find that to be disrespectful.
Lunch makes me happy.

I also think the code should be fixed to make it so that looking into a stormier room than the one the player is in shows something like "Too stormy to tell" much like looking into a dark room. I think "weather <direction>" isn't half-assed, but something to remember to do in the meantime. I don't think typing wea <direction> or setting up an alias is unreasonably difficult.

The thread you're referring to derailed into ADOM, then the usefulness of helpfiles, then mood, then vaguely went back on track with people agreeing with OP. Perhaps it was locked because the discussion had pretty much ended and staff got the idea. It's a very simple idea in concept.

Sounds like one of those things that isn't fixed because it would be codedly difficult to implement, though I have no way of knowing that.

I think this is just one of those situations where you just have to moderate yourself and pretend not to see whats in a large sandstorm. Should arrows in there sounds a bit twinky under normal circumstances.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on April 12, 2011, 02:08:40 PM
If the staff doesn't have time to implement the change, I wish they'd just say so, instead of pointing to a half-ass solution and locking a thread. Frankly, I find that to be disrespectful.

Not every change is worth doing.  Not every post is worthy of a detailed reply.  I'll explain the former statement by going against the latter.  (Frankly, I find passive-aggressive posting on the GDB--trying to raise the ire of staff just to get them to pay attention to you--to be disrespectful and annoying.)

The issue of weather and looking across zone boundaries was not raised.  Recently, the issue of weather and looking in the direction of a storm was raised.  It was determined that one could type two commands (look <direction>, followed by weather <direction>).  There are also many other things to consider for any potential code change.  Chief among these considered things would be "is it worth doing?"  At a glance, no, it is not worth doing.

If your particular pet peeve, want, etc. of the week/month/life doesn't get staff attention, don't troll for it.  You won't like what you get.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.