How would you save your race from armageddon (2)?

Started by Titania, March 28, 2011, 03:03:13 PM

As I understand it, the current (cool) Races will be killed because of idea theft from Dark Sun. I've read some Dark Sun stuff and it is really an inferior product to the history armageddon has and role play wise. Feats and feats?  I was wondering if enough changes could be made so that they would be different enough to keep.  I mean how can Dark Sun lord over the concepts of elves and dwarves?

Since a lot of time has passed, maybe a few of the DS defined features could be tweaked.

Dwarves defining characteristics:
--Hairless
--Focus
--Slaves

Now dwarves are mostly hairless, with the occasional completely bald dwarf regarded as lucky or fated for great destiny.
Dwarves would be extremely goal oriented and single minded with whatever they are currently involved in to the point of annoyance with other races. Sort of toned down focus also aids playability. No history of being enslaved.

Elves:
--Thieves
--Won't Ride/Running ability
--Tribal mentality

Never played an elf, no idea what they would give up or modify and still feel elfy.
Give up constant thievery OR non riding maybe?

Half-Giants
--Dumb as box of hammers
--Created as human/giant crossbreed via magick
--Tendency to copy other cultures

No one remembers they are 'half-giants'. Referred to as giants and are still dumb and tend to copy to a lesser extent?

Half-Elf/Mantis/Gith/Halfling:
--Good riddance/meh

Quote from: Titania on March 28, 2011, 03:03:13 PM
I've read some Dark Sun stuff and it is really an inferior product to the history armageddon has...

As a die-hard gamer with decades of D&D under my belt, I take offense to this statement. It was a fascination with the Dark Sun world that first got me into Armageddon. And, while I recognize that there have been huge diversions from that origin, many of the themes that appealed to me about Dark Sun remain in my favorite MUD. Tweaking these themes in order to retain them seems strange to me. I don't want them tweaked. I am eagerly awaiting a new creation to play with, but what you suggest brings back all the same feelings I had when HasbroTM purchased ownership of the D&D franchise...there's a cold lump of worry settling in my gut.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Yeah, alot of the things that came from Dark Sun are what first attracted me to this game. Truthfully, if there were a mud that was more strictly Dark Sun, with similar code to Arm, and the same quality of roleplay I'd probably be there instead of here.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Its gonna sound like an echo in here but yeah I played Dark Sun RPG and that's what drew me to Armageddon.

Now to go completely off tangent...

if only there was a half-decent Arm-like interface/playability/RP but for Rifts Palladium RPG.  I started coding one for awhile that was basically a remote outpost in Xiticix-land but then RL struck me.  It was starting off really pimp. :(

Slightly off topic I know, but I'm curious as to why we need to move away from the Dark Sun inspiration. Is it a legal thing? Preference of the game Producers? Something else entirely?
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on March 28, 2011, 11:56:23 PM
Slightly off topic I know, but I'm curious as to why we need to move away from the Dark Sun inspiration. Is it a legal thing? Preference of the game Producers? Something else entirely?

The way I heard it:

There was one of the Original players or staff that had some issue with the other (players or staff) and wrote to TSR or something about Armageddon's use of reference material.

Later the person began a Darksun mudd rpg and thus obtained legal rights to use the reference material.

Though Darksun mudd can be found online, it is a dead site. They will tell you they think of starting it up, but i think its just some major cock block with out intention of ever being up and running.

This all said, some time back someone posted about contacting TSR once again and receives an -Its all good- message from them, or so it was posted.

Now its been sometime since I have had to recall the specifics of this issue, so some parts may be wrong, but the jist is someone got offended and decided to take a big poop in the sand box so every one else could smell their true nature.

Thus the death of Kanks.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

QuoteThus the death of Kanks.

Which, coincidentally, also happens in Dark Sun.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Note:  TSR no longer exists.

And I do not think Wizards gives even half of a shit.

But I say, bring on the new!

Quote from: Nyr on October 07, 2010, 09:11:24 PM
I'm going to lock this thread. We have closed new ideas/discussions on Armageddon Reborn. Whatever it is people have to discuss about Reborn has been discussed.

If we decide to change any plans for what we're doing, we'll let you know.  However, we've had 3 years of player input on this.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.