One Small Line of Code for Staff...

Started by quickslash, March 25, 2011, 03:24:33 PM

Do you support the following (example-based) suggestion?

Yes
32 (50.8%)
No
26 (41.3%)
In theory, but not quite how you put it
5 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: April 02, 2011, 03:24:33 PM

Quote from: quickslash on March 26, 2011, 03:43:54 AM
And here I thought I'd have a hard time finding a cool-minded, logical counter-point. You and Nyr sure put me in my place.

But like others have said, this isn't that big a deal. I tried.

I don't have a problem with changing it if it is not problematic to change.

My point was that passing out breaks immersion no more than death does; your argument that it breaks immersion has little to do with actual implementation or good reasons to do this.  In addition, we don't resurrect people for making mistakes that "my PC totally wouldn't have made" (like walking off of the edge of a fall room, wandering into the silt sea, or drinking cleaning fluid), so I thought this was a good tie-in to explain why I ultimately don't care very much either way, but would tend to go against implementation.  I personally am fine with the prompt as it is:  something that is an indicator as to whether or not your PC has low health, mana, move, stamina, stun, etc. 

The upside of implementation would be that you could tie in triggers from your client to these textual indicators, but you may be able to do this already with the prompt and numeric indicators.

Also, starting out your post to try and troll anyone that disagrees with you (really, any argument against your idea is petty drivel? please.) probably isn't the best way to get support.  You have historically tended to belittle anyone else's opinions about this game.  I'd recommend against it if you don't want to get called out on it.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on March 25, 2011, 03:52:44 PM
Death breaks my immersion, too.  I submit we revoke permadeath!  :)

Quote from: Nyr on March 27, 2011, 10:09:05 AM
My point was that passing out breaks immersion no more than death does; your argument that it breaks immersion has little to do with actual implementation or good reasons to do this.

One of these responses was snarky, and explains very little of your point. The other is more eloquent, and actually suggests that in some way you agree or understand what was suggested.

Take it from a guy that constantly says you staff are dicks, when most of the time you aren't: Players making suggestions, only to have staff (who are perceived superiors in decision making) give one-liner sarcasm breeds discontent. You're better than that, Nyr.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

March 27, 2011, 07:12:05 PM #52 Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:16:35 PM by quickslash
Quote from: quickslash on March 26, 2011, 03:43:54 AM
And here I thought I'd have a hard time finding a cool-minded, logical counter-point. You and Nyr sure put me in my place.

But like others have said, this isn't that big a deal. I tried.

I don't have a problem with changing it if it is not problematic to change.

My point was that passing out breaks immersion no more than death does; your argument that it breaks immersion has little to do with actual implementation or good reasons to do this.  In addition, we don't resurrect people for making mistakes that "my PC totally wouldn't have made" (like walking off of the edge of a fall room, wandering into the silt sea, or drinking cleaning fluid), so I thought this was a good tie-in to explain why I ultimately don't care very much either way, but would tend to go against implementation.  I personally am fine with the prompt as it is:  something that is an indicator as to whether or not your PC has low health, mana, move, stamina, stun, etc.  

The upside of implementation would be that you could tie in triggers from your client to these textual indicators, but you may be able to do this already with the prompt and numeric indicators.

Also, starting out your post to try and troll anyone that disagrees with you (really, any argument against your idea is petty drivel? please.) probably isn't the best way to get support.  You have historically tended to belittle anyone else's opinions about this game.  I'd recommend against it if you don't want to get called out on it.

Have I? I'll try to be more like you in the future.

I almost went back and edited that out to make it sound less snippy, but then I figured "No, people will understand that I'm just trying to stave off snide comments."

And back on topic, "immersion-breaking" was only one adjective I used in a relatively long post. I don't know why you have a problem with that.
"In a game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces."

I vote YES.

We have a newbie flag, right?

Why not implemented it as togglable from the newbie flag.   ?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Riev on March 27, 2011, 02:57:19 PM
Take it from a guy that constantly says you staff are dicks, when most of the time you aren't

Why, with those credentials, how can I not?  I welcome the endorsement.  As mentioned, though, I'm going off of past GDB behavior in this case (particularly the most recent thread created by the OP that had to be locked).  As it is, I put a smiley on a one-liner and voted because it didn't appear that thoughtful discourse was being sought.

Quote from: quickslash on March 27, 2011, 07:12:05 PM
You have historically tended to belittle anyone else's opinions about this game.  I'd recommend against it if you don't want to get called out on it.

Have I?

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,40759.0.html
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,40640.0.html

Yes, consistently, in 3 of 3 public topics you have created.  If you want your opinions, thoughts, feelings, suggestions, etc. to be taken seriously by staff and other players (you've done a lot better, for what it's worth), tone it down, and don't get bent out of shape when people disagree with you.

Quote from: quickslash on March 27, 2011, 07:12:05 PM
And back on topic, "immersion-breaking" was only one adjective I used in a relatively long post. I don't know why you have a problem with that.

I only have a problem with it because it isn't true.  This is definitely an idea based on convenience for players, and I think almost anyone would agree that it would be more convenient (triggers are easier to shoot off based on specific text input regardless of the client, as far as I can tell).  I'm not sure about the rest of the playability argument, but that part of it is not true (passing out is IC).

At any rate, it looks as though it may be looked into (unsure, though).  Good luck.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.