One Small Line of Code for Staff...

Started by quickslash, March 25, 2011, 03:24:33 PM

Do you support the following (example-based) suggestion?

Yes
32 (50.8%)
No
26 (41.3%)
In theory, but not quite how you put it
5 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: April 02, 2011, 03:24:33 PM

March 25, 2011, 03:24:33 PM Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:26:50 PM by quickslash
...one giant leap of convenience for players. Who supports the following?

100hp 100mv 100st>
contact dude
You contact the dude.

You suffer from use of the way.

100hp 100mv 65st>

psi Sorry about your carpet dude.
You send a telepathic message to the dude:
  "Sorry about your carpet dude."

100hp 100mv 45st>

The dude sends you a telepathic message:
 "Yeah man that thing really tied the room together."

100hp 100mv 25st>

psi It sure did Lebowski.

You send a telepathic message to the dude:
 "It sure did Lebowski."

Your psionic connection begins to make you feel faint.

100hp 100mv 12mv>

Completely realistic- your PC would realize this. More playability- few people get robbed and/or killed for completely immersion breaking and disheartening reasons. I can't imagine a single argument against this that isn't petty drivel, but if you vote no I challenge you to hit me with your best.
"In a game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces."

The only adjustment I would make is "You begin to feel very faint from over-exertion." With recent changes, stun is affected by more than just psionic abilities.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I support this addition to the code.  Since it'd help not only the newbies that do not know to keep a eye on their stun.. but those that just forget. And your character would know what is going on with his own head....
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

I would suggest also having it trigger ONLY when something that actively drains stun occurs, not just when your stun is low.  The premier (only) example being, of course, "You suffer from use of the Way."
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

I don't see any reason not to do this, but in the mean time, I imagine you could probably set up your client to do the same thing. Dunno, I fail at that sort of stuff.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Death breaks my immersion, too.  I submit we revoke permadeath!  :)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

You begin to feel faint.    when you hit a certain % of total stun?  20-25%?  Doesn't matter if it's combat, psionics or whatever then.
Tagged on to strikes like reeling, I don't believe it would add to the spam terribly.  It could also then accompany each of the way usage messages.

A thick figure in a duster bludgeons your head very hard.
You reel from the blow.
You begin to feel faint.

You suffer from use of the Way.
You begin to feel faint.

+1 op

Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Quote from: Nyr on March 25, 2011, 03:52:44 PM

...ah.

Quote from: Nyr on March 25, 2011, 03:52:44 PM

Was that meant as a joke or as a snide way of saying you didn't support his argument?

I'm pretty sure Nyr voted no.

I voted yes, but I have to admit that aside from helping out n00bs I don't think the addition is desperately required.

It would be nice, absolutely.

I just wouldn't think of it as a very high priority item.

So long as it didn't take too much time for one of the coders to plug in, I say sure. A warning before blacking out would be nice.

Although I wonder what would happen if you got sapped and went from being fine, to passed out in a single go.

QuoteA thick figure in a duster bludgeons your head very hard.
You reel from the blow.
You begin to feel faint.
Your vision goes black.
???
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

That doesn't look bad. Whats the issue?

I think it's aesthetically a bit clunky.

But that's just my opinion. I could live with that as well.

Like I said, all in all I think sure, why not? So long as it wouldn't take the coders too long to put it in.

Quote from: musashi on March 25, 2011, 05:12:49 PM
I voted yes, but I have to admit that aside from helping out n00bs I don't think the addition is desperately required.

It would be nice, absolutely.

I just wouldn't think of it as a very high priority item.

So long as it didn't take too much time for one of the coders to plug in, I say sure. A warning before blacking out would be nice.

Although I wonder what would happen if you got sapped and went from being fine, to passed out in a single go.

QuoteA thick figure in a duster bludgeons your head very hard.
You reel from the blow.
You begin to feel faint.
Your vision goes black.
???

I voted no. I don't think it would be so nice once you get that every time any stun message comes up around that %. I think you'll find that it would be very, very spammy, and serve little point ultimately. That's just my personal opinion though.
NOFUN:
Random Armageddon.thoughts: fuck dwarves, fuck magickers, fuck f-me's, fuck city elves and nerf everything I don't use
Maxid:
My position is unassailable.
Gunnerblaster:
My breeds discriminate against other breeds.

That's how hardcore I am.

One warning at a certain percentage wouldn't be spammy.

It could be if you kept hovering around there.

I don't think I would mind it either way. I've never had a problem not noticing my stun.

Quote from: quickslash on March 25, 2011, 08:05:48 PM
One warning at a certain percentage wouldn't be spammy.
It would if it did it at anything below that percent. Say it's set at <20%, any time you gain or lose even one stun past 20% you would get that message.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Yam on March 25, 2011, 08:09:27 PM
It could be if you kept hovering around there.

I don't think I would mind it either way. I've never had a problem not noticing my stun.

This is how I feel about it too.

I do like it.

But I would prefer "You feel faint." over "You begin to feel faint."

And it should probably be on a toggle, so those who don't like it never have to see it.

PS  On a failed constitution check, I would like it if it set off a hemote of some sort.  Let perceptive people notice that you seem a bit faint, unsteady, or something.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on March 25, 2011, 09:41:23 PM
I do like it.

But I would prefer "You feel faint." over "You begin to feel faint."

And it should probably be on a toggle, so those who don't like it never have to see it.

PS  On a failed constitution check, I would like it if it set off a hemote of some sort.  Let perceptive people notice that you seem a bit faint, unsteady, or something.

win
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Morrolan on March 25, 2011, 09:41:23 PM

This I like.

I like the ideas here, but why is this limited to stun?  Why shouldn't all of the 'points' have a similar 'low level' warning and hemote?  Why not a 'You feel pain all over and are nearing death.' message or 'You feel very tired.' or 'Your energy reserves are low' for the others?
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on March 26, 2011, 12:06:32 AM
I like the ideas here, but why is this limited to stun?  Why shouldn't all of the 'points' have a similar 'low level' warning and hemote?  Why not a 'You feel pain all over and are nearing death.' message or 'You feel very tired.' or 'Your energy reserves are low' for the others?

To be fair, you can see if someone is 'near death' or bleeding heavily, and you can tell if they are exhausted, but you can't tell if they look out of sorts. (Have low stun).
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Then following that argument we should have an indicator in look or assess that would show their apparent mental fatigue state.

Why is a warning message for stun ok, but not for hp, mana or stamina?
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

You really shouldn't be 'hovering' around the point where you're about to pass out, unless it was a fistfight or something :P

Quote from: Morgenes on March 26, 2011, 12:06:32 AM

Because it's a very common problem from psionics? Most people watch their hp carefully in battle. No reason not to add it; nobody actually wants to fight to near death.

I could see stamina being very useful, though. I tend to push my character harder than most of them would psychologically go, and some kind of reminder would be helpful.

At a low level hp, I'd rather have a setting for auto-flee, ala 'wimpy' or whatever it's called in those generic MUDs. I have a horrible connection and I find it quite annoying that I'm unable to hunt or go anywhere where I could get backstabbed when my net connection is acting up, because I fear they'd be dead in the 2-5 seconds it takes to reconnect.

Maybe it could be modifiable. e.g.
> warn st 15
You will now get a warning when your stun is below 15

> warn hp 70
You will now get a warning when your health is below 70
(useful for sparring, etc)

If you don't like it, just set it to 0.
-3hp 30mv 25st>
You feel the mantis head approaching.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.