OOC communication and start up?

Started by My 2 sids, March 03, 2011, 06:32:27 AM

So, we've had a discussion about the possibility of OOC communication and issues with Off-peak opportunities.   And I'm not trying to rehash, but they did get me to thinking.  Would it be possible if players could request some guidance in creating characters from Staff?  Doesn't have to be specific, but something like:

Player:  Hey, I play 4am - 8am EST...  where's the PC population at this time?
Staff:  It looks like <d-elf clan> is very active during that time

Just seems to me Staff could share some of the OOC accumulated information (like all those stats and player-leader-updates) to those players who don't wish to come in with a PC that fits in Zanathas, but has no place in game because no other players are active.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I believe the reasoning against this is something along the lines of:  so you want to join the one clan that's active so that nothing else will be?  All off-peakers should play in the same clan?  Meh.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

What's even worse, is when you take the staff's time to help you place your PC in an active clan, but by the time you're ready to meet up with some of your clannies, they're already dead.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Let's say you do what's usually suggested to off-peakers having trouble finding a clan, and create a city PC that then attempts to fit into whatever clan is hiring during the times the player is on.

If you have no luck in any of the major areas, then you could probably explain such in a Question request to staff for guidance. But I would actually try fitting into the game the traditional way before asking for staff assistance, because it is definitely possible to do this for most clans. Tribes are harder, but when you sign up to play in a tribe, you take on its relative isolation as well.

While I do see the reason for this, and I feel the plight of the off-peakers in my little black heart, I do think this is a slippery slope. 

I've been an off peaker myself, and I know the feeling of great loneliness.  Try being an off peak only-halfling-in-the-clan for 5 months.  I think I saw maybe 6 people the whole while.

I hated it at the time, but after some time to reflect, I'm so glad Nessalin stored me and moved me on to something with at least the potential for interaction.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

We do get requests about guidance on character creation from time to time.  It can't hurt to ask if you have that concern.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on March 03, 2011, 10:01:48 AM
We do get requests about guidance on character creation from time to time.  It can't hurt to ask if you have that concern.

>.>
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Cutthroat on March 03, 2011, 09:13:23 AM
Let's say you do what's usually suggested to off-peakers having trouble finding a clan, and create a city PC that then attempts to fit into whatever clan is hiring during the times the player is on.

But I would actually try fitting into the game the traditional way before asking for staff assistance, because it is definitely possible to do this for most clans. Tribes are harder, but when you sign up to play in a tribe, you take on its relative isolation as well.

There are a few problems with that approach, sometimes it works out, other times it doesn't and you're stuck with the PC. Even if you find someone that seems to be online during your playtimes and join the clan, there's no guarantee that you'll actually find someone to play with. Reasons why this often fails:

- That guy who hired you is your boss and is around just long enough to give you orders. There's no other PCs.
- The guy is actually playing at some other time, you just got lucky and caught them on their free day or something. Waiting a few weeks to get to know everyone's habits and playtimes usually is not an option.
- There's a couple of other players who log on from time to time, but you're still on your own most of the time and even when they're around, they're pretty boring.

If I make another PC, I'll probably stay indie and miss out on all the cool clan-related plots and RPTs, but keep the ability to move around and stay where things are interesting.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Malifaxis on March 03, 2011, 10:14:02 AM
Quote from: Nyr on March 03, 2011, 10:01:48 AM

>.>

LMAO
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!