Clearing up a keyword

Started by Badly needs a makeover., July 20, 2003, 11:47:21 PM

The word 'greasy', when applied to hair, generally refers to limp, oily hair, not actual grease running off of it.

I know it's a long desc, but please, skim it at least and you may have come up with that.

S/he needs Pantene badly.  Please stop talking about there being literal "grease", it's simply a descriptive word to say, "This is not nice hair."  

Aside from give funny looks, I don't know how to RP that, and on a day like this where I'm barely in the mood to, well, look: There is no hair grease.  S/he is not "a Dapper Dan man"(woman).

If this comes off as mean, or cranky, or just plain unpleasant, I'm sorry. I don't mean it to.  I just wanted to clear that up.

(Not addressed to a single player... I think.)

Maybe there actually is grease in this person's hair. I haven't run into them yet to tell, but grease can be:

soft, melted animal fat
any thick oil of a viscous substance

So anyways... yeah, maybe they slick it back with animal fat.

I have to agree.  If you are going to comment on a character's appearance based on their sdesc, it's worthwhile to read their full description, to see how that adjective is used.

I once played a character whose sdesc included the word "feline", and she was called a mutant by a few other PC's even though her full description gave no indication that she had inhuman features.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Quote from: "Jenred"Maybe there actually is grease in this person's hair. I haven't run into them yet to tell, but grease can be:

soft, melted animal fat
any thick oil of a viscous substance

So anyways... yeah, maybe they slick it back with animal fat.

I guess the Dapper Dan was either an obscure reference, or you completely missed that I said, while not in so many words, that it says in the main desc that the hair is just not nice lush hair.  Either way, I choose to blame you for this whole confusion.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic so that I can construct a proper effigy, would you?

I once ran a character who's eyes were named in my sDesc as radiant, glowing, or something along those lines. (it was a loooong time ago.) But in the lDesc, it explained them as just a really bright blue. I got tons of people accusing them of being a magicker with "glowing" eyes. lol, it sucked, and I died quickly.

I dunno, I've never gotten the image of Dapper Dan or Dippety-Do (another arcane reference) when I read "greasy hair."

Greased hair, slicked hair, oiled hair - implies that something was applied to it to make it so.

Greasy hair simply implies that the hair itself has that quality. I mean, c'mon ladies - how many of you can honestly say that when you were 12 and deciding which of the boys in your class was cute, didn't tell your best friend, "Ewww he's not cute, his hair is always so greasy!" and refer to at least ONE kid who just was grungy looking?

Or the "washed out" look of your own when it's really hot outside and you go swimming in the ocean or other salt-water body of water.. and a few hours later go to flip back them golden tendrils only to think to yourself, with disgust, "Aw shit, greasy hair. That lifeguard is gonna think I'm a slob."

Most people with the word greasy in their sdesc usually have a more detailed explanation of why in their main desc.  Is it really that difficult to LOOK at the person?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Me, Dapper?  8)

What does Dapper mean, anyway?

If it means, sexy, cool, handsome, suave, polite, caring, sensitive to a woman's needs, intelligent and thoughtful. Then sure, I guess I am Dapper.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

crymerci wrote:
I once played a character whose sdesc included the word "feline"

I think I remember that character...

In fact, I think I died to that character...  

Ahhh - memories.
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

Quote from: "RideTheDivide"
I think I remember that character...

In fact, I think I died to that character...  

Ahhh - memories.

Newp, not me.  I've never PK'd with any of my characters.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.