Value skill

Started by warforged32, February 11, 2011, 12:50:34 PM

I have a question about the value skill. It seems hat recently i started being able to sell things for slightly higher prices. Could this be due to having increased my value skill?

No.  Value only tells you the value/weight of things and possibly who makes it.

Haggle would be the only thing that could change this, unless prices changed between now and the last time you sold something.  You have to actively haggle, however.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

This is bizarre then. I do not haggle. I sort of just, offer, then sell... I don't even know if haggle shows up under the skill list, or if it is just its own little thing, or idk
If never had a character that had haggle in their skill list, so...

Maybe prices went up then?

Either prices changed or your perception changed.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

I sell things all the time, and I practically knew what I could get for any given thing. Now everything gives me -roughly- 10% more when I sell it.
I think prices must have gone up.

Works for me though ^_^

The price that a merchant will pay will also vary from merchant to merchant.  Are you still using the same merchants?

I use the exact same shop every single time. I -wish- there were other shops I could sell my stuff at though. I'd be able to bring in money faster... I hate it when the shops are all dried up in funds.

Prices probably went up, which is not surprising given current events. Cash in!

Actually, according to the docs, your haggle skill will automatically work when you "offer"

You can still try to haggle more though.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I must have missed said current events, or I'm just inattentive to my surroundings... Probably the latter :\
This character I am currently playing however seems to be my most successful yet. Though, I am not sure, as my first character managed to live quite some time as well.
I'd ask what events happened that could have raised prices, but that is too IC, so I shall sit here in my confusion and suck it up.
( This makes me want to submit an account notes request for my first character :S )

Oh. I must have missed that part of the docs. There are so many, and I try to read as much as I can whenever I can, but I often miss things here and there.

Yeha, if you have the Haggle skill, it automatically works when you enter an "offer" But you can still haggle further, if you wish.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I don't actually know if I have the haggle skill or not. Do most types of crafters generally have the haggle skill? And is it like, hidden, or will it actually show up on your skill list?

Quote from: warforged32 on February 11, 2011, 03:34:10 PM
I don't actually know if I have the haggle skill or not. Do most types of crafters generally have the haggle skill? And is it like, hidden, or will it actually show up on your skill list?

Actually shows up. Only merchants, and a rare couple subguilds have that skill.

Ahh, then I don't have it. Prices must have gone up.

Quote from: warforged32 on February 11, 2011, 12:50:34 PM
I have a question about the value skill. It seems hat recently i started being able to sell things for slightly higher prices. Could this be due to having increased my value skill?

things cost a little more now in general i think than before the flood and volcano.

or are you talking more recent changes?
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Not how much things cost... How much I can sell them for, but yes, a couple IG weeks ago, i could sell bracelet X for 60 sid... now I can sell it for 65 sid...

I also wanted to add: that just because you don't have some skills doesn't mean you can't use them, or get better with them. You're still going to suck. But yes. They do -sort of- get better. So start kicking with your merchants, guys.

So, you might of just gotten better at haggle, guys and gals.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Well, that just makes things so much more complicated...

Also, when it comes to selling items there are times when you have two items that look almost exactly the same except for subtle differences in the mdesc. It's quite possible you ended up selling two items of this regard and thus, different prices. That's about as far into it as I can delve though.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Chettaman on February 11, 2011, 07:59:46 PM
I also wanted to add: that just because you don't have some skills doesn't mean you can't use them, or get better with them. You're still going to suck. But yes. They do -sort of- get better. So start kicking with your merchants, guys.

So, you might of just gotten better at haggle, guys and gals.

I don't believe this is true. As far as I know, you can only 'skill up' in a skill which is actually on your skill list... with a small number of exceptions (languages, primarily.)

February 12, 2011, 05:16:32 PM #20 Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 05:18:44 PM by Semper
Quote from: warforged32 on February 11, 2011, 12:50:34 PM

Does it matter in the end? The documents don't give a clear answer for this, so I'd take any comments made about what really happened with a grain of salt. I'd say just count your blessings and move on.

[added] OR. Even better. Put in a request so the staff can see what really happened.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Also, some shops pay higher prices for the same goods, even in the same city.

p.s. You cannot haggle without actually using the 'offer x <#>' syntax.  It isn't a passive ability.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.