Resting a mount & watching, height & skimmers

Started by Maziel, January 23, 2011, 06:58:44 PM

:) Hopefully this is the right place to put this.

First thought.
This may have been mentioned before, but I didn't find it when I briefly searched for it. When you're character is on a mount and you type rest, they stop watching x, even though the character is not actually resting, just their mount. I think this is also true when 'rest mount' is typed. This generally isn't a huge deal, but I think it's kind of odd as is.

Second idea.
I read that agility effects whether or not a character may fall from a skimmer if they decide to stand. That makes sense, but I'd like to add to that idea. I assume that, with the way the code currently works, an elf with exceptional agility would have a far better chance of not falling if they decide to stand then a dwarf with exceptional agility. However, a dwarf is much shorter (closer to the ground) then an elf. I think you see where I'm going with this,  ;)
(... Good luck standing on a skimmer if you're a half-giant!)
I think the best way to develop a game world is by letting the players influence it as much as possible
-Delerak

Quote from: Maziel on January 23, 2011, 06:58:44 PM
Second idea.
I read that agility effects whether or not a character may fall from a skimmer if they decide to stand. That makes sense, but I'd like to add to that idea. I assume that, with the way the code currently works, an elf with exceptional agility would have a far better chance of not falling if they decide to stand then a dwarf with exceptional agility. However, a dwarf is much shorter (closer to the ground) then an elf. I think you see where I'm going with this,  ;)

Unfortunately, elves are extremely proud of their ability to drown and do not ride on skimmers. Having a skimmer transport you to your eventual drowning location is far too shameful. Thus, elves tend to drown near the coast but they die satisfied in their self-sufficiency.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

January 23, 2011, 08:18:40 PM #2 Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:18:11 PM by Maziel
... Fair point. That was a bad example. What do you think about the idea, though?

edit: idea = height should count against you when the agility check is made for falling off of the skimmer.
I think the best way to develop a game world is by letting the players influence it as much as possible
-Delerak

I think falling off a skimmer is a stupid idea in the first place, and anything that makes it even easier is also stupid, by extension.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

:-\ Easier or harder, depending.
-Delerak

I think with the lack of swimming experience applying to most zalanthans, they'll probably be either clinging to the skimmer for dear life or have a lifeline attached to it in the event they fall off. So in either case, I find falling off a skimmer to be rather silly.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Well, you can't really swim in a sea of silt, considering it's less dense than you and you'll always sink.

Quote from: Thunkkin on January 23, 2011, 08:13:15 PM
Quote from: Maziel on January 23, 2011, 06:58:44 PM
Second idea.

Unfortunately, elves are extremely proud of their ability to drown and do not ride on skimmers. Having a skimmer transport you to your eventual drowning location is far too shameful. Thus, elves tend to drown near the coast but they die satisfied in their self-sufficiency.

i swear that i read that they would get on a Skimmer somewhere... They probably wouldn't like it, but could (could be wrong here. And who wants to be on a skimmer anyways?)
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on January 25, 2011, 08:05:06 AM
i swear that i read that they would get on a Skimmer somewhere... They probably wouldn't like it, but could (could be wrong here. And who wants to be on a skimmer anyways?)

Nope. Staff have stated that elves would no more get on a skimmer than they would on a wagon or a war beetle.
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on January 25, 2011, 08:11:08 AM

Nope. Staff have stated that elves would no more get on a skimmer than they would on a wagon or a war beetle.

Still begs the question of "why would he want to in the first place"

LOL
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

They might hold on to the back and kick their legs in the silt...
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Synthesis on January 23, 2011, 09:21:34 PM
I think falling off a skimmer is a stupid idea in the first place, and anything that makes it even easier is also stupid, by extension.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: Reiteration on January 25, 2011, 09:52:33 AM
They might hold on to the back and kick their legs in the silt...

That made me smile. I hear the theme song for Jaws already.

Quote from: jhunter on January 25, 2011, 11:26:37 AM

I have no experience with skimmers, but I must say I would feel very very jipped if I wrote up a silt sea explorer pc and his extent of silt sea experience was dumping out of his boat like a tard on day 1 for what, instant mantishead? Hearing that this is even possible makes me not want to play any sort of skimmer pilot.. maybe some other hazzards similar to the ride code, falling down in the boat with something like a 1/1,000 chance of you actually getting dumped overboard. Suppose that's a different topic though, one that's probably already been started.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

The skimmer docs:

QuoteSilt Skimmers                                                     (Movement)

Silt skimmers are sailing ships which traverse the Sea of Eternal Dust.
These skimmers are generally large enough to hold several humanoids, but
they are always exposed, sitting on the deck of the skimmer.  

To ride on a skimmer you need to either sit or stand on it.  Standing
on a skimmer when it is moving is ill advised, as you might fall in, which
in deep silt is extremely deadly.  It is highly recommended that everyone
sit on skimmers and keep their hands, arms and other appendages inside the
vehicle while it is in motion.

If you chose to stand while riding on a skimmer, being very agile will
help you maintain your footing, otherwise it is up to luck to see if you fall
into the silt.

Skimmers use the same skill to pilot as wagons.  Use the pilot command
to move a skimmer.  Only the first conscious person on a skimmer can pilot
it.

Skimmers use the same skill to pilot as wagons.  Use the pilot command
to move a skimmer.  Only the first conscious person on a skimmer can pilot
it.

To disembark from a skimmer, type 'stand' while already standing on it.
If doing this would put your character in danger, it will tell you and
stop you from doing it.

[MORE]

Embark Syntax:
  sit <skimmer>
  -or-
  stand <skimmer>

Disembark Syntax (while standing on the skimmer):
  stand

Piloting Syntax:
  pilot <direction>

Examples:
  > stand skimmer
  You stand on a skimmer.

> sit
  You sit on a skimmer

> stand
  You stand on a skimmer.

[MORE]
  > stand
  You step off a skimmer.

Disclaimer:
  Standing on a skimmer is dangerous, if you fall off in deep silt, your
character will die.  To avoid falling off, remain seated at all times.  

Notes:
  Once on a skimmer, use sit and stand by themselves to vary your position.
It is possible, but not necessary, to always include the skimmer while
changing position

Most skimmers aren't built to accomodate resting people, so don't try
resting in deep silt unless sure the skimmer was built with that in mind.

See also:
  Sea of Eternal Dust, skill pilot

Sit.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Roll over.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Play dead!
err... wait...
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

QuoteMost skimmers aren't built to accomodate resting people, so don't try
resting in deep silt unless sure the skimmer was built with that in mind.

I do think that attempting to rest in a small skimmer should just fail, not mantishead you.
  You can't do that here.

(I've never used or been used by a skimmer.)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I would really like to make a skimmer pilot one day

Quote from: Thunkkin on January 25, 2011, 08:11:08 AM

I don't understand why elves wouldn't ride skimmers.  To me it doesn't follow the same rational.  skimmers while similar to wagons and mounts don't do the same thing. Wagons and mounts transport people over the -ground- where elves can strut their stuff and run all day long.  But when it comes to silt there's no other form of travel (other than skimmers).  Elves can't run over silt.  The only way to travel over silt (that is not an exploit) is to use a skimmer.  So where's the shame in riding on using a skimmer?  This is what I don't understand.  It is my hope that the staff reconsider this.

We won't. It was discussed/reconsidered already. If you had objections then, it's already on the GDB--if not, you can look over the thought processes behind it. If you still disagree, that's cool. :)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Agreed.  Although subdue/throwing someone off is cool but you could do that anyways.

When you can insta-die because you forget to type 'sit skimmer' after combat or you didn't read the help files well enough to know you have a feature that although comes from a nifty idea makes the game less fun instead of more fun.

The experience of riding/piloting a skimmer is no less dangerous/exciting without this aspect.  If anything it's more exciting without it because if you die, it will be from one of the many nasty things there instead of a little piece of code.

Perhaps this question asks too much about the code, but in my mind, it would be unfair to make all potential skimmer-sailors kill their first attempt just to figure it out ...

Do you fall from the skimmer the moment you stand? Or is it only movement from room to room while standing/resting that causes instadeath?
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on January 25, 2011, 07:05:18 PM
Do you fall from the skimmer the moment you stand? Or is it only movement from room to room while standing/resting that causes instadeath?

They work like bars in the various taverns.  You can stand on them, and like on a bar, if you rest, you get off the skimmer and rest on the ground.  In this case, the ground is the Sea of Eternal Dust.  If you hit stand twice, it will warn you that you're about to jump off the side and take a dip in the Silt Sea.  If the skimmer moves while you're standing, there's a chance you'll fall off.  Simple enough?

I'm not too keen on the moving and falling off bit, but you've got to understand : most of the skimmers I've seen aren't built much different than canoes.  They just aren't that stable.

Only hardened, coordinated crews can make it on the deadly and dangerous Silt Sea.  The pilot has to make sure everyone he likes (or has a use for) is seated before moving on, and the rest of the crew has to know when it is they can stand up and start working.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I didn't know sitting on a skimmer made you safe from falling off. Makes me want to explore the Silt.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on February 16, 2011, 06:27:23 PM
I didn't know sitting on a skimmer made you safe from falling off. Makes me want to explore the Silt.

Don't forget sitting also makes you much more vulnerable to attack also.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.