If a tree falls in the grey forest...

Started by Fredd, January 13, 2011, 03:00:37 AM

I always wondered. Do room echoes only happen when populated with PC's?

I'm guessin no, to save on memory, but I scould be wrong!
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Pretty sure they are on a set timer.
Could be wrong though.
Backstab is actually the only dialog option an assassin has.

Quote from: Cutthroat on January 13, 2011, 12:30:22 PM
Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on January 13, 2011, 12:26:51 PM
Neither yes or no.

I see what you did there.

I thought it was funny.  But seriously, rooms echo if someone is or isn't there to read it.

Depends on how it's programmed, it could very well just grab all the actors in the room, count how many there are and if there are none it'll just return and cancel the echo.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on January 13, 2011, 12:33:04 PM
Neither yes or no.

I thought it was funny.  But seriously, rooms echo if someone is or isn't there to read it.

Have you ever been in a room when you weren't there... to validate this?  :-X
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on January 13, 2011, 12:45:38 PM
Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on January 13, 2011, 12:33:04 PM
Neither yes or no.

Have you ever been in a room when you weren't there... to validate this?  :-X

Mu

Rooms echo, even when you're not there. It's timed. And that's a pretty usual way for things with muds to work.
NOFUN:
Random Armageddon.thoughts: fuck dwarves, fuck magickers, fuck f-me's, fuck city elves and nerf everything I don't use
Maxid:
My position is unassailable.
Gunnerblaster:
My breeds discriminate against other breeds.

That's how hardcore I am.

Quote from: Medivh on January 13, 2011, 03:22:39 AM
Pretty sure they are on a set timer.
Could be wrong though.

Quote from: Anaiah on January 13, 2011, 01:48:48 PM
Rooms echo, even when you're not there. It's timed. And that's a pretty usual way for things with muds to work.

Go me.

If it's timed, then the timers are all broken. My experience:

I'll be in my clan compound (which does have those emits), solo-rping or sitting semi-idle (I can see the game-screen at the bottom of my monitor when I'm reading the GDB). There'll be nothing going on for around 10, 15 minutes. Then all of a sudden one of the scripted emits will show up, and there'll be like, 4 of them in 3 minutes time. Then nothing again.

Or I'll be sitting at the bar. Nothing will be happening when I get there. I'll sit down, have a drink, try to contact some people, maybe have a Way conversation. Someone -else- will show up, and BOOM - echoes happen.

I've always assumed that the timers are triggered only when someone shows up... OR if there's an IMM watching a PC.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

It's not timed, it is variable, but it will happen even if no one is there.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

That's just what Ginka wants you to think.
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Actually, with Diku, if nothing is in the room that makes the room need to "exist" Then it does not "exist". And so, the echo does not happen. But if something is in it to make it exist then it does. If that makes any sense.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Not. Go Me.  :-\

Does Arm load and run zones even when no PCs are there?  If I were guessing, I'd guess that it does.  Certain objects don't survive reboots; if zones were unloaded, I'd expect those same objects to not survive the last 'nakki logging out for the morning.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: X-D on January 14, 2011, 12:59:12 PM
Actually, with Diku, if nothing is in the room that makes the room need to "exist" Then it does not "exist". And so, the echo does not happen. But if something is in it to make it exist then it does. If that makes any sense.

I seriously read this, then sat in my couch thinking up some weird Mud-theory for 2 or 3 minutes in complete silence. My wife had to snap me out of it. Thanks x-d, you broke my head.

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

majikal, you should've just asked me. I would've explained it in lizzie-speek.

See what it is, is a whole bunch of arrays. Like, rooms - are arrays. They're all numbered. So like there's room #1, room #2, room 3, 4, 5, so on. All those are in array_room.

Then there's shortblade #1, shortblade #2, shortblade #3, 4, 5 and so on, and those are all located in array_shortrblades.

The game runs, and it's running, and it's doing its thing, and whatever. Nothing exists, except what is being interacted with. Everything is tucked nice and neat in its little array. Its drawer, which is in a nice little chest of drawers, in a closet called Armageddon_the_MUD.

So then, you need to be in apartment_room #72, where there exists shortblade #9 on cot #8446.

The brain of the game, called Ginka, says "Oh hey - we gotta open the drawer called array_room and display item #72. And we gotta make sure that when we display item #72 from array_room, that the array_shortblades produces item #9 and displays it on cot #8446 (which as everyone knows, was tucked neatly away in array_furniture).

So your character shows up in the room, looks on the cot, and voila - there's a shortblade there!

Then, your character leaves, and locks the door, and walks out of the apartment building. The room gets tucked back in its array, the sword back in ITS array, and the cot back in ITS array, until the next time someone needs to access it.

What Lizzie said above is incorrect.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 14, 2011, 01:55:53 PM
Does Arm load and run zones even when no PCs are there?  If I were guessing, I'd guess that it does.  Certain objects don't survive reboots; if zones were unloaded, I'd expect those same objects to not survive the last 'nakki logging out for the morning.

Yes, zones are running even when no PCs are there.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

What I said might not be how Armageddon works, but it is an accurate explanation of what X-D said. Which is, that nothing exists, until/unless there is a reason for it to exist, and that a reason to exist would be something needing to interact with it.

Arrays are an appropriate method of creating/producing/displaying virtual data (which is what X-D refers to in regards to the exist/not exist theory).

Quote from: Talia on January 14, 2011, 03:41:50 PM
Yes, zones are running even when no PCs are there.

So my dung farm/infinite money hack is feasible.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Not really.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

January 14, 2011, 08:27:44 PM #22 Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 08:42:35 PM by X-D
Lizzie's basics in explanation is correct. Diku was made in a time when CPU resources were VERY limited on home systems, but it was not written on home systems, it was written and first run on a VAX or Cray with either unix or VMS, some college where the sysadmin would limit you to X ram X drive space and most importantly X CPU cycle counts.

So Diku was written to take up the smallest overall footprint possible. There were muds before Diku but many of them were resource intensive, mostly because everything had to be held in ram at once costing high ram usage and heavy CPU cycle counts.

So, how do you reduce all that, you make it so everything is "compact" Till needed. And to that, all present day muds use a method much like Diku,

So, the answer to the question is, The tree does not fall in the grey forest if there is nobody around to experiance it.

Or, to explain another way, that plant with a script to regrow fruit. The scrip says a new fruit is grown every X# ticks to a max of X. You pick all the fruit, the script records which tick# each was picked, you leave the room, the room and plant go into storage, the game ticks along, the correct number of ticks pass to grow a fruit, but no fruit grows, but when you enter the room you see the plant, at this point there is still no fruit on it, when you look at it though the game checks the script and it says there are 2 fruit on the plant now so...now there are 2 fruit.

BTW, Talia, zone=array.

Now a better question is, does the room exist or the tree fall if there is an NPC in it?

Course the answer there is no as well, since NPCs are just objects. Which is where the term MOB comes from, standing for Mobile OBject. Though many think it is just the MOB from MOBile.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I knew my C programming would be useful some day! If I remember nothing else, I'll always remember arrays. And pointers. Mostly arrays though. Oh and int main(); .

HELLO, WORLD!  HELLO, WORLD! HELLO, WORLD!  HELLO, WORLD!

Mud philosophy. So deep.

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."