The Game's Down Thread.

Started by Zoan, January 05, 2011, 08:28:23 PM

Quote from: Cindy42 on January 06, 2011, 04:36:47 PM
i understand the risks i'm taking, but i'm doing what i love doing. i know that if i got a job as a social worker i'm not going to make a lot of money, but its going to provide happiness that that money would have bought me anyway. i refuse to get a degree i despise and work a job i hate.

The problem, here, is that in general I don't think there are jobs open for "social workers." Especially not in this kind of economy. So you're going to have tens of thousands of dollars in debt and work fast-food? Why not just work fast-food and skip the debt?

Also, your plan sort of presupposes you're not going to get married and don't want kids. If you are thinking about someday procreating, or otherwise supporting any humans but yourself, well, fast-food just won't cut it as a career.

If you want to do something similar to social work, but which is in high demand, I'd recommend nursing. You can make a lot of money as a nurse, and it's a wonderful helping career. There is math and science involved, of course. However, just because you don't enjoy studying math or science doesn't mean you're not capable. (I don't really buy the "I don't have the ability" reasoning from most ARMers. We're an above-average group, intelligence-wise.)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Yeah, don't have any dreams and don't work for something that makes you happy.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

science, i can wade through the easy stuff. math, i don't even try anymore; because when i used to try, and the only things besides studying math that i did for three days were eating and sleeping, i still made a 36 on my test, and was relegated to something easier.

i tried going for nursing for that very reason: i killed my gpa. that was the most horrible semester of my college life and made me realize that i do have limits in science.

i believe in myself where i have proven myself and not yet proven myself, but if my face hit the floor somewhere i tend to avoid whatever that was X)

ahh... i just really, want a job where i'm helping folks bottom-line, preferably an old folks home or red cross or something... and while i really do appreciate your comments i'm not going to go do something eight hours a day that makes me miserable.

i've heard rumor at my college that there are corporate climates seeking grads who understand human interaction (psychology, english lit, what have you) but that formal atmosphere makes me uncomfortable. and i'm too stubborn to change.

i do have an advantage. i'm learning me some chinese.

if i become bilingual and trilingual that's going to rock in many ways.

i wonder if my writing sucks.

i'm not considering it as a full-time career because writing stories is kind of my life.

i want someone to tell me whether my stories suck or not. /end derail
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Telling people not to go into social work because it's not a viable career because math/science is better is like telling people not to be artists or writers.  >:(
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

I agree.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Don't be an artist or a writer.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Cindy42 on January 06, 2011, 05:02:47 PM
ahh... i just really, want a job where i'm helping folks bottom-line, preferably an old folks home or red cross or something... and while i really do appreciate your comments i'm not going to go do something eight hours a day that makes me miserable.

i've heard rumor at my college that there are corporate climates seeking grads who understand human interaction (psychology, english lit, what have you) but that formal atmosphere makes me uncomfortable. and i'm too stubborn to change.

I'd suggest working as a CNA, then, or perhaps even becoming a physical therapy aide. Both do require some schooling, IIRC, but not so much as becoming a nurse or a physical or speech therapist (they don't pay as well either, of course--in California I'd guess the pay is in the $12 to 20 range, which at least is better than fast-food or retail). They are also very high-demand, typically. The work is hard but they are true helping professions.

Another thing you might consider is special education. There's not a lot of demand in the current economy for general teachers or teachers of English or social sciences, but I believe there's demand for special education teachers and aides. If you're able to become bilingual in a language which is important in your community (that would be Spanish around here, or perhaps Hmong), then that gives you a much better shot at a job. Language also helps a lot in healthcare.

With your affinity for languages, you might also think about the agriculture industry. In California, it's pretty common practice for anyone who works with farmworkers to be bilingual English-Spanish. Farming isn't technically a helping career, but when you are helping people get their work done and get paid so they can feed their families, I think that's pretty satisfying.

Not all corporations are alike. But for the most part, having worked a lot in corporations (I work at a genuinely huge one, been here for over 5 years and it's a great place to work), they're not really looking for "people who understand human interaction." They're looking for people with specific degrees and skillsets.

Quote from: Marshmellow on January 06, 2011, 05:09:01 PM
Telling people not to go into social work because it's not a viable career because math/science is better is like telling people not to be artists or writers.  >:(

Strawman much? I'm suggesting that there are viable careers and that social work isn't one. And that going to college with hopes of entering a non-viable career is a big waste of time and money.

As much as it pains me to say so, I think Marshmellow is spot on.

Ugh, now I have to go cry in the shower or something.

i used to think that the most miserable, soul-wracking jobs on earth leading to good dough were the dream of the century, too. then i found Dr. Steel.

i spam now. doctorsteel.com

yes, this man's medical records are public information and yes, he has been declared insane. ;) i offer no argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QNwkR4HU8Q&feature=related
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

January 06, 2011, 05:23:09 PM #209 Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 05:25:19 PM by Cindy42
Quote from: Gimfalisette on January 06, 2011, 05:15:03 PM
Quote from: Cindy42 on January 06, 2011, 05:02:47 PM

I'd suggest working as a CNA, then, or perhaps even becoming a physical therapy aide. Both do require some schooling, IIRC, but not so much as becoming a nurse or a physical or speech therapist (they don't pay as well either, of course--in California I'd guess the pay is in the $12 to 20 range, which at least is better than fast-food or retail). They are also very high-demand, typically. The work is hard but they are true helping professions.

Another thing you might consider is special education. There's not a lot of demand in the current economy for general teachers or teachers of English or social sciences, but I believe there's demand for special education teachers and aides. If you're able to become bilingual in a language which is important in your community (that would be Spanish around here, or perhaps Hmong), then that gives you a much better shot at a job. Language also helps a lot in healthcare.

With your affinity for languages, you might also think about the agriculture industry. In California, it's pretty common practice for anyone who works with farmworkers to be bilingual English-Spanish. Farming isn't technically a helping career, but when you are helping people get their work done and get paid so they can feed their families, I think that's pretty satisfying.

Not all corporations are alike. But for the most part, having worked a lot in corporations (I work at a genuinely huge one, been here for over 5 years and it's a great place to work), they're not really looking for "people who understand human interaction." They're looking for people with specific degrees and skillsets.

Quote from: Marshmellow on January 06, 2011, 05:09:01 PM
Telling people not to go into social work because it's not a viable career because math/science is better is like telling people not to be artists or writers.  >:(

Strawman much? I'm suggesting that there are viable careers and that social work isn't one. And that going to college with hopes of entering a non-viable career is a big waste of time and money.

i have to add that i admire the usefulness of 100% of ur suggestions dude.

i have a little experience with down syndrome kids because i was removed from said horror math class to go help a class of about 11. most of them function well on their own and it changed my ideas of what people with the syndrome are like. i would embrace an opportunity to work with the slight minority of them who would need someone's help on a daily basis.

EDIT: wait, forgot that last line. XD

i guess we could argue back and forth over the worth of careers one loves versus ones with stability but that kind of argument will never end.
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

And the damned game will still be down.  >:(

Quote from: Cindy42 on January 06, 2011, 05:23:09 PM
i have a little experience with down syndrome kids because i was removed from said horror math class to go help a class of about 11. most of them function well on their own and it changed my ideas of what people with the syndrome are like. i would embrace an opportunity to work with the slight minority of them who would need someone's help on a daily basis.

My husband once worked as a substitute aide for a community organization that provides this service in the schools. Perhaps there is an organization near you that is doing this sort of thing. IIRC, they didn't have a college degree requirement (though he does have one). Basically, he was on call to go in and be an aide for a day or two at a time to kids who had some serious needs. If he had stayed with them, eventually I'm sure he would have gotten a full-time placement doing the job.

You might also look into organizations near you which are "homes" for troubled kids, which have adult staff who provide safety and help with daily needs and so on. We have a couple of those around here. Again, you probably don't need a college degree, but you do probably need to be in reasonable physical shape, as the job infrequently involves doing a safe takedown of a kid who is out of control.

My basic message here, which has been wildly misinterpreted, is by all means do what you love: Just don't, for the good Lord's sake, go $40 to $100k in debt in order to make the same kind of money you could make while NOT going into debt.

i guess we could argue back and forth over the worth of careers one loves versus ones with stability but that kind of argument will never end.

That's not the argument. This is dichotomous, black-and-white thinking, and that's not what this is about.

Thank god for Torrents. They are all that keep me sane in this time of chaos and uneasy feelings!

Added note: Anyone know good zombie flicks?

I've been on a zombie binge. Got every single resident evil and some dumb films.
Was thinking Zombie Hookers or the Dawns of the Dead and all those in that set.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: Gimfalisette on January 06, 2011, 05:31:46 PM

My husband once worked as a substitute aide for a community organization that provides this service in the schools. Perhaps there is an organization near you that is doing this sort of thing. IIRC, they didn't have a college degree requirement (though he does have one). Basically, he was on call to go in and be an aide for a day or two at a time to kids who had some serious needs. If he had stayed with them, eventually I'm sure he would have gotten a full-time placement doing the job.

You might also look into organizations near you which are "homes" for troubled kids, which have adult staff who provide safety and help with daily needs and so on. We have a couple of those around here. Again, you probably don't need a college degree, but you do probably need to be in reasonable physical shape, as the job infrequently involves doing a safe takedown of a kid who is out of control.

My basic message here, which has been wildly misinterpreted, is by all means do what you love: Just don't, for the good Lord's sake, go $40 to $100k in debt in order to make the same kind of money you could make while NOT going into debt.

That's not the argument. This is dichotomous, black-and-white thinking, and that's not what this is about.

Okay. actually, the schooling before nursing tryout was free. i had a scholarship, and i was one of two people who passed some sort of mega-test after taking an advanced writing course. poor girl was so much darn smarter than me; but she got pregnant. if i cut back, since i can't lose that mega-test grant until i graduate, i could just have this 6.5k borrowed for the rest of my college life and not have to get more for the next two years.

i'm about thirty pounds over the average healthy person, but i'm very physically frail, stupidly so. those jobs are not an option.

there should be an org near me since i've seen those workers before; and its local and not 30 miles away which is a bonus here. thanks for the idea. i would never have come up with that on my own.

for the going into debt part... i'm going to break cultural bread with you, this rather unnecessary education is a serious driving force in life for both me and my mother, who imprinted this notion in my heart at an early age from mother korea. its an honor to have a degree, and a source of pride and happiness after getting. before getting--- it is fun, a joy ride, something that you should probably be doing, and that side of the family is honestly not going to be happy if i quit now--- but i love learning too much for it to be a bother. its a problem that cannot exist for me.

/crazy asians

what i can't stand is the fact that my cousin finished high school, didn't go to college, is trying to become a rock star and that side of the family is hating on him. i dislike that. he is following his dream. i see nothing wrong with it. i wish him luck, he'll need it.
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Inquiring minds would like to know: Will it be possible to keep the game up and running steadily with little downtime until a permanent home is found? Or is a considerable amount of downtime to be expected?

And I'm still offering to adopt Ginka and run her in Switzerland.

From my experience it will take exactly 242 minutes to take Ginka from its temp home to its new perm home.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on January 06, 2011, 05:49:31 PM
Thank god for Torrents. They are all that keep me sane in this time of chaos and uneasy feelings!

Added note: Anyone know good zombie flicks?

I've been on a zombie binge. Got every single resident evil and some dumb films.
Was thinking Zombie Hookers or the Dawns of the Dead and all those in that set.

28 Days later: Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eunaclr-WgU

28 weeks later (sequel): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RtvP7tGJm4&feature=related

The first one was better though, like so often.

I am legend trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewpYq9rgg3w

I think the fruit is too ripe for eating, still.

Armageddon Reborn loads tonight, but shhh, don't tell anyone.  It's a sekrit!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 06, 2011, 06:36:57 PM

Woah that means I won the end of the world plot. GO ME!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

QuoteIs College Worth it?
Cindy Gimf Etc. Etc.

I'm going to agree with Gimf. on this one.  Unless you love a degree with limited prospects SO MUCH that you MUST pursue schooling in it, in a vocational-calling sort of way, I would not recommend taking it just to take it.

I was an English major in college, and luckily I did not have to pay my own way, but right out of college I had to work for minimum wage.  It was a document without value.  I really appreciate the generosity of my parents and I feel deeply enriched as a person, but at the same time, I have to consider whether or not it was worth it -- if I would have been better served investing that money and taking time to study on my own, at a much lower price, for instance.  Or working for four years, climbing up to lower management, and having a resume more formidable than most of those my age.

It all depends on what you want to do, but it's definitely non-trivial time and money considerations, so having a longwinded conversation and even more lengthy considerations right now, before you are committed, is probably very wise.

Quote from: Lizzie on January 06, 2011, 06:38:54 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 06, 2011, 06:36:57 PM

Woah that means I won the end of the world plot. GO ME!

Durza sorc ranger, here I come!
Grebber - One who grebs.

No Armageddon makes Moe...

...actually it makes me quite productive.   :-\

Re: college
Can't you pair just about any field of study with a business degree these days and end up with something useful?

Artists and writers can get into marketing pretty easily.  That's a profitable yet creative field.  Heck, smart marketing divisions/companies might want someone with a sociology background too.  A business degree/minor/focus is like a degree multiplier.  Same for computer programming/engineering.

Might want to look into that: combining (or dual majoring) sociology and business.

Dual majoring or major/minoring is actually quite a good idea, if you are driven.

45 minutes and I get to leave work and go home to Arm! (hopefully... Saikun said 8pm est, right? Right?!)
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.