Health Regen

Started by FantasyWriter, December 31, 2010, 11:39:05 AM

Please, oh please, oh please let us turn our health regeneration off at will.

Some time we WANT to RP being hurt, and would very much like the code to support it.

Thank you.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 31, 2010, 11:39:05 AM
Please, oh please, oh please let us turn our health regeneration off at will.

Some time we WANT to RP being hurt, and would very much like the code to support it.

Thank you.

+1

On that note, I'd also love the ability to do hp/stun/mv damage, codedly.

I dig your idea.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

December 31, 2010, 12:14:32 PM #4 Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:17:17 PM by Dalmeth
I love the sentiment, I really do, but I think a quick jump into tdesc could probably serve the same function.

Though, if you want to RP a blow you can't recover from, you should just wait until you take that degree of damage.  I'm very leery of translating combat echoes directly into IC reality, as the real consequences just aren't there.

If two swordsman engage and retreat, never reducing eachother's hp to a level where it stops regenerating, then neither of them ever got a good hit in, right?  Afterall, isn't the lack of hp regeneration representative of the point where a person is bleeding or really injured in some other fashion?

You have to understand that DIKU combat is based on statistics, not real combat :  Person 1 of skill X can typically last Y seconds against person 2 of Z skill.  It's not something you can play out believably.

My advice is to refrain from trying.  Just deal with the consequences of combat, not the silly details that don't make sense.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I wish that if you were really hurt, your hp would only fill up partially and very slowly. Right now it basically goes for most PCs that you have to sleep and recover at some point just to get your hp to creep up at all. I'm all for having to sleep to deal with major hp loss (and the rp that goes with it), but I'm thinking about RPTs and the like here. Often, my PCs have had an opportunity to get bandaged and rest for IG hours between battles. Sometimes the only option to get any hp gain at all is to sleep a bit. And every time it happens, I feel like SuperTwink. I guess I could just... not do it, but then there go mai immersionz. As of right now, you're either okay, or you're just stuck. I think a cool change would be...

[numbers totally pulled out of my ass]

If you dip below 75% hp, you only heal up to 75% hp until you sleep. You're battered.
If you dip below 50% hp, you only heal up to 50% hp until you sleep. You're wounded.
If you dip below 10% hp, any regen at all stops until you sleep. You're fucked.

This seems to me to be a more realistic way of being wounded. One downside is that people would be sleeping a lot due to sparring, but of course the numbers could be tweaked. Ideally nowadays, characters aren't beating each other down into the no regen zone anyway. If I had a coded upper limit like that on my character, for some reason I'd feel a little more comfortable keeping them awake and lucid when they should be.

Then again, my idea isn't terribly different from the current way, and sleeping still remains the "best" way to recover.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on December 31, 2010, 12:18:16 PM
If you dip below 75% hp, you only heal up to 75% hp until you sleep. You're battered.
If you dip below 50% hp, you only heal up to 50% hp until you sleep. You're wounded.

I dig this and the numbers will work also.
Fredd-

I like those numbers.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I vote needlessly complicated.

Change tdesc and rp works better than the code generated 'so and so is here bleeding heavily' or 'so and so is in critical condition'.

Quote from: Zoltan on December 31, 2010, 12:18:16 PM

While nice, it would require a massive change to the way training, teaching, and sparring is implemented in the game presently.  As a note, I want changes to these things :D

I think it's fine the way it is. I haven't had any problems rp'ing around the current code in regards to hp and hp regeneration. I really don't like the idea of being forced to spend more time sleeping to regen for injuries I don't currently have to.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

There should be a fatique stat for sparring. So you don't have to roleplay like your HP is a fatigue stat.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 31, 2010, 04:34:14 PM
There should be a fatique stat for sparring. So you don't have to roleplay like your HP is a fatigue stat.

+1
Fredd-

December 31, 2010, 04:47:30 PM #13 Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 07:33:04 PM by Sam
Sparring weapons would need to deplete stamina and stun and then maybe a little health before this was implented, I think.

Otherwise I like it. Would give burglars and thieves more chances to be themselves.
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

I think Sam's idea is better.
Fredd-

Quote from: Dalmeth on December 31, 2010, 12:14:32 PM
I love the sentiment, I really do, but I think a quick jump into tdesc could probably serve the same function.

Though, if you want to RP a blow you can't recover from, you should just wait until you take that degree of damage.  I'm very leery of translating combat echoes directly into IC reality, as the real consequences just aren't there.

If two swordsman engage and retreat, never reducing eachother's hp to a level where it stops regenerating, then neither of them ever got a good hit in, right?  Afterall, isn't the lack of hp regeneration representative of the point where a person is bleeding or really injured in some other fashion?

You have to understand that DIKU combat is based on statistics, not real combat :  Person 1 of skill X can typically last Y seconds against person 2 of Z skill.  It's not something you can play out believably.

My advice is to refrain from trying.  Just deal with the consequences of combat, not the silly details that don't make sense.

Not all damage, role played or otherwise, is from combat. I would simply love the ability to both:
a) prevent my character from healing if I wish
b) damage my character as I see fit

Roleplay.
Work around not having code support.

Even when new code would help us roleplay situations better...
Backstab is actually the only dialog option an assassin has.

Quote from: Medivh on January 01, 2011, 03:45:09 AM
Roleplay.

Meh.... Workarounds can only go so far for so long.

Roleplay.

One of the reasons I play Arm is that it's always evolving.
Stagnation is never good, and I do RP around it, but that is what the code discussion forum is for, discussing and suggesting new code.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 01, 2011, 09:49:48 AM
Roleplay.

One of the reasons I play Arm is that it's always evolving.
Stagnation is never good, and I do RP around it, but that is what the code discussion forum is for, discussing and suggesting new code.

One of the reasons I'm liking Arm less is code changes that cause me to spend more time fighting with the code or add nothing to my enjoyment of the game being implemented. I feel the game is becoming more clunky than it was say...about five or six years ago. I feel there are other areas of the game that codedly -needed- the work and are ignored while things that were just fine are constantly being tweaked into a state of annoyance and frustration.

I was putting on my best jaded veteran impression...
looks like it worked!  ;D

Seriously, that is all I ever get told when it comes to new code.

JHunter, the code is much better then say five or six years ago. (In most respects.)
Disengage for starters.
One room apartment death (sparring) matches were had before that.
Look tables.
Forage newb for boots.
Ride. (Yes I know, but it is better then seeing two screens of refuses to move.)
Trample/Charge (Death to orphans.)
Shield Use update/fix (I see your kick, and raise... MY SHIELD! *BANG!*)
Two-handed fix/update (It is now on par with dual wield.)

Those are just off the top of my head.
Backstab is actually the only dialog option an assassin has.

January 02, 2011, 03:42:04 AM #21 Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:58:21 AM by jhunter
Sure you can pick out a few gems but that doesn't mean that all the code changes implemented in recent years were for the better. And I disagree about the ride code. I'd rather stare at screens of refuses to move than have to keep waiting through a delay and entering "mount critter" over and over again.
Reel added no tangible benefit to enjoyment of the game.
The current ride system does not add to my enjoyment of the game.
Stamina use on top of additional combat delays for certain commands is annoying and overcomplicated, IMO.
Stun use for certain commands, just plain has no sensible logic to it and adds nothing to enjoyment of the game. I'm suddenly easier to knock out because I'm listening carefully? Good Grief.
The crazy amounts of delays added to alot of commands in the game. I swear, I spend more time sitting in a coded delay from -something- rather than moving on to other things now days.
Those are a few I can think of off the top of my head. Which are some of the things I was concerned about in times past when such suggestions were brought up and it turns out they -are- adversely affecting my enjoyment of this game. I feel that the game is mechanically heading the direction of other games that I -didn't- play because I was annoyed with how things worked. I chose Arm in part because of the theme, in part because of the quality of roleplay, and in part because the mechanics were enjoyable enough to deal with especially when compared to others out there. The theme and the quality of roleplaying are still there (for the most part) but the mechanics are becoming frustrating to me and are detracting from my enjoyment of the only mud I've ever enjoyed long enough to continue play anywhere near this long. I don't think I played any other mud more than maybe a few hours total. I see it slipping away and feel that an era is coming to an end. While I was looking forward to 2.0 to some degree, I'm starting to feel that the current state of the game is an indicator that I likely won't be around with 2.0 more than trying it out for a few hours and becoming frustrated with it.
Overall, I'm just kinda bummed when I encounter alot of the new code changes and after giving them an honest effort, think to myself: this was better before.

*Lights a smoke and puts on his blindfold.*
Fire away.

January 02, 2011, 07:17:46 AM #22 Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:21:05 AM by Marshmellow
jhunter, your complaints are meaningless because you're not giving logical explanation for why those are bad for the game, only why they annoy you, personally.  All those changes, first off I don't think they're not as bad as you make them out to be (especially ride, because I honestly, seriously, have never had the problems the rest of you seem to have, and have only fallen off a mount twice since the update, with two different characters).
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

A change isn't bad for the game simply because you don't enjoy it. In the example of the ride code, it's easier to RP playing a rider that can't quite get his mount to do what he wants than some moron that's just sitting stuck in the desert. One could argue this was possible before the code change, but now the code actually supports the RP. A common kind of improvement for a game that is not a MUSH, but a code-backed roleplaying game. While this thread is not at all about past changes to the game, the exact same thing could be said for this idea.

I like the idea of a 'nosave regen' command (or something like that) specifically because of its simplicity, and the fact that it doesn't really interfere with the game at large. The only way it could possibly be "clunky" is if you turn regeneration off and forget that it's off (something I occasionally do with other nosave commands :() and honestly I don't see that as a big deal because eventually you will realize it's on.

That said, I would suggest that %h in the prompt puts a '=' at the end of the current number of HPs if regeneration is disabled so that you realize it's not going up any time soon.

Beyond that I think the idea is good. I think it has applications in the use of the 'bandage' skill, particularly, because currently medics can start roleplaying fixing a person's wound but by the time they're done with the roleplay and ready to try the coded command, the wounded person has regenerated enough HP to not need a bandage. At least with this feature someone could turn regen off, let the medic player do some cool things and then actually bandage it. It's a rather minor situation to code for but I think when people go up against these kinds of ideas, they tend to forget how they help facilitate certain roleplay situations.

January 02, 2011, 12:16:13 PM #24 Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:19:36 PM by jhunter
Quote from: Marshmellow on January 02, 2011, 07:17:46 AM
jhunter, your complaints are meaningless because you're not giving logical explanation for why those are bad for the game, only why they annoy you, personally.  

I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't like them, just the only one with the balls to step up and say so and take the harrassment and abuse for it. I -know- there are others out there who feel the same way but choose not to discuss it because of this very thing right here. Just because you don't agree, it does not make my complaints meaningless. It's pretty damned rude to say so. It lessens my enjoyment of the game and -that- is completely reason enough and is an acceptable answer whether you agree or not. Anyway, I'm not going to continue to derail this thread arguing about it because nothing will happen, I'll just continue to watch the game go downhill until it hits the point where I can no longer tolerate it and then kiss it goodbye. You're not giving a logical explanation for your arguement, only why you prefer one of them personally, does that negate your argument and make it meaningless? No. I've seen a few code changes that definitely -add- to ease of mechanics and overall enjoyment of the game, I've seen just as many that do not add to such.

QuoteA change isn't bad for the game simply because you don't enjoy it.

Seeing that most of us play a game for -enjoyment-, logic would dictate that this is an incorrect answer. Most people don't play games they don't enjoy. Enjoyment is one hundred percent the reason for me to play any game.

Anyway, I'd be fine with being able to toggle regen off and on. I'm just not interested in any idea that would require having to codedly sleep -more- in order to completely heal.