Kudos

Started by Lythaniel, December 26, 2010, 11:49:20 AM

Just curious about what others thoughts are.  I have a number of Kudo's that I have been wanting to pass out but I am curious as to others thoughts.  Is it better to pass out Kudo's after you hear the person has passed on or while you're still playing?  I've been sticking mostly to the Former

There is no rule about sending them while the recipient is still alive. In fact, leader PCs in particular appreciate the acknowledgment (speaking from experience). You'll just want to avoid any personally identifiable information, which staff tends to strip out before passing the kudos along.

every player appreciates knowing that his pc is being played well. Give it while there alive. you can even ask to be anonymous.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I prefer to get / send them right away, and see no disadvantage in it. Besides, it can be hard to know whether or not another PC died.

During.  That way you don't forget. :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Heh. I usually give it way after the fact.

Some people I sent kudos I had not knowingly played with for over a year. I just occasionally have a moment of clarity when I realise that they did something extremely fucking cool over an extended period of time, but when it was happening I took it as a given.

Not that anyone ever sends me any kudos, for that matter.

Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: HailTheAbyss on December 28, 2010, 01:16:32 PM

Not that anyone ever sends me any kudos, for that matter.

I'm thinking there one of those things people talk about but you never see. Like an adult virgin woman, or a lottery winner.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

lol.

I do my damnest to remember and do it right away so I don't forget.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Do you put the name of the character you played into the kudos? Is that something we should avoid?
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Only if the character of the player you're sending kudos to didn't get the name in game.

You should kudo immediately, especially if they're in a leader role. Playing a leader PC can be a headache, it's hard to do well, and it's easy to get demoralized. Make sure you tend to the good ones or they'll wither away and die of sad :(

Getting kudos seriously gets me stoked about the pc I'm playing, it gets me all warm and fuzzy and makes me feel like I'm contributing to the enjoyment of others like I generally try to.. Every time I get a kudos it's seriously like a 1-2 week adrenaline shot into my effort of roleplaying. Especially if I'm in some sort of leader role. More kudos folks.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Only in death do I send a player kudos, either my death or theirs.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Majikal on January 09, 2011, 09:19:14 PM
Getting kudos seriously gets me stoked about the pc I'm playing, it gets me all warm and fuzzy and makes me feel like I'm contributing to the enjoyment of others like I generally try to.. Every time I get a kudos it's seriously like a 1-2 week adrenaline shot into my effort of roleplaying. Especially if I'm in some sort of leader role. More kudos folks.

Yes, this.

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on February 02, 2011, 10:45:05 PM
Only in death do I send a player kudos, either my death or theirs.

This is usually what I do, too. Sometimes I send kudos when they've been away awhile, or if I feel their will to RP their current role is being drained away, and they need to know they rock.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Taven on February 02, 2011, 11:53:10 PM
This is usually what I do, too. Sometimes I send kudos when they've been away awhile, or if I feel their will to RP their current role is being drained away, and they need to know they rock.

Just a note, it's best if you do this well before then.  Some people might be soldiering in spite of feeling like shit, and they could use the encouragement.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on February 03, 2011, 10:36:19 PM
Quote from: Taven on February 02, 2011, 11:53:10 PM

Just a note, it's best if you do this well before then.  Some people might be soldiering in spite of feeling like shit, and they could use the encouragement.

That's a good point. I'm still in the habit of mostly sending kudos only after somebody dies (or stores). I'm not sure how I got into the habit, but it's there!
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

It seems to be general habit for everyone, really. The best way to get kudos is to die in front of other PCs.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on February 04, 2011, 08:28:13 AM
It seems to be general habit for everyone, really. The best way to get kudos is to die in front of other PCs.

LOL I've done that. I had a very well liked pc in the byn. Got a funeral and everything on him. Still no kudos.

I honestly don't think alot of people think about it, or maybee I just suck at Rping.

Don't take it to heart guys. I know that I for one appreciate and value ALOT of the roleplay that I see. But I don't send kudos just for doing a good job. Maybe I should, but I don't. Why reward something that should be a given? In all  my years of playing I think I've sent three kudos, and these were for scenes or characters that blew my mind y'know? Something far and above the standard of awesomeness that we set.

That's just me though.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I agree with WarriorPoet. I have sent out only a few in the past years and those were for the players that took it above and beyond. I really should start sending out more, honestly, I love seeing what players like about how I am roleplaying or just handling my characters and I believe it really builds upon my motivation towards actually making those kinds of PC's.

I'm all in for sending kudos on a more constructive level than only for those Amaz-za-zing players....the kudos you send should reflect what you liked about it and the player receiving will then realize what was good or what was simply stunning about his/her character.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

i also like the idea of giving kudos to amazing actors, and what bugs me is i can't remember the sdesc of one dude three years ago who was half-amazing, simply because he was so into the game that he dragged the rest of us into his immersion-happiness with him. it was pretty awesome. he was a relatively good actor but mostly had zeal and enthusiasm for his part with making his character so.

i'll be able to tell if i see him again, unless he figured out how to hide that part of him.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!