halfgiant +?=?

Started by Fredd, December 22, 2010, 11:23:43 AM

just a thought. What would the baby be if a half giant mated with a dwarf?

What about a human?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Stillborn.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

I imagine the result would be much like a cat mating with a dog: no pregnancy.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

HG + Human = Quarter Giant?

HG + Dwarf = ???

Quote from: Ami on December 22, 2010, 11:44:48 AM
HG + Human = Quarter Giant?

HG + Dwarf = ???

HG + Dwarf = Ugly AND stupid.  ;D
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I'd guess (and it's a complete guess) that half-giants can't produce children with other species. They're obviously not sterile, as they can mate with each other, but I've never seen a thematic example of a quarter-giant. Maybe a complication related to their magickal origins?

They probably aren't the only ones with breeding limitations, if those do exist for them. I've never seen a dwelf, either.

A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

I don't think half-giants aren't half-anything.  They are giants that are "half" the size (actually, significantly less than half).

That said, given the magic nature of the world and the extremes to which mutation can modify a being, I could see an experiment from a knowledgeable and dedicated breeder of curiosities producing a giant-dwarf or a dwelf.  In the case of the dwelf, the technique would probably involve a half-elf  with extreme elven features undergoing the process that produces muls.  For the giant-dwarf, it would require generations of breeding dwarfs with particular mutations.

But the results must be wholly non-useful to the dominate human society, and possibly not easily reproduced. 

Quote from: number13 on December 22, 2010, 12:54:33 PM
I don't think half-giants aren't half-anything.  They are giants that are "half" the size (actually, significantly less than half).
Actually,
Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/general/races.html#halfgiantCreated by some magick far in the past, half-giants are a special crossbreed of humans and the giants which inhabit the islands in the Sea of Eternal Dust.

Thinking about it. A half giant+human would probably just be a freakishly large human.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Yes.  However, general consensus is that such a breeding could not occur naturally.  It would probably take a significant act (and more likely a long and difficult trial-and-error experiment) of magick to pull off such a thing, akin to the original creation of half-giants.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on December 22, 2010, 12:58:12 PM
[Actually,
Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/general/races.html#halfgiantCreated by some magick far in the past, half-giants are a special crossbreed of humans and the giants which inhabit the islands in the Sea of Eternal Dust.

a) The peoples of modern Zalanthus have no way of knowing this.  
b) I like my interpretation better.
c) There's lot of silly things in the docs that I tend to consider 'loose guidelines' or 'misinformed statements'.  Some of those silly things are retconned officially, over time.
d) Mostly just posting so I can get my 666 post count!

QuoteThinking about it. A half giant+human would probably just be a freakishly large human.

Thinking about it, maybe that's the secret origin of House Tor.

Right, there's a lot of stuff in the docs that modern Zalanthans could not know (and have little bearing on the game), particularly stuff regarding pre-Dragon history.  That doesn't really make it less canonical, though.

The only thing I can think of when reading this is, "Death by snoo-snoo!"
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: Marshmellow on December 23, 2010, 05:49:21 AM
The only thing I can think of when reading this is, "Death by snoo-snoo!"

Knew it was coming... LOL

Quotebut I've never seen a thematic example of a quarter-giant

I have. At least, a self-monikered (and codedly equivalent to) quarter-giant.

Always was kinda curious about that character's background. Probably been over a year, maybe he'll stumble along and add something.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on December 23, 2010, 05:03:04 PM

Always was kinda curious about that character's background. Probably been over a year, maybe he'll stumble along and add something.

I'de definately Love to hear it if there around. Even if they had to use "hypotheticals" because it's just under a year or something.

or maybee Nyr or someone could answer for us? LOL.

December 25, 2010, 06:27:07 PM #19 Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 06:35:35 PM by Is Friday
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on December 23, 2010, 05:03:04 PM

If you're talking about Ceja, Mallor's human slave that was 17 ten-stone and over 90" tall...

QuoteCeja was born to a loving family in Yaroch, who primarily engaged
in farming and every so often the care of beasts for the local boys
in black. At ten Ceja was recognized amongst the villagers as being
quite quick in development, having already begun to look much like
a mature teenager.

As a result of his size he has struggled to maintain any friends,
despite being amiable and nice by nature. He was so nice, in fact,
that many of his peers took advantage of him to a great degree. Often
he would be taunted or made the butt of a joke in front of his
female peers--who grew to believe whatever the pack of rival males
told them. Ceja was made out to be somewhat of a villain unwittingly
out of envy for his size and strength, but he never confronted any
of his bullies.

etc. etc.

His size was considered a mutation but I didn't really touch too much on it in his background other than how it changed his personality. He is amongst the favorites of my spec apps. My other close runner-up is Bako, the ex-corporal from the militia turned Krathi gemmer.

edit: I'm not sure how the staff-side of things worked, but obviously because he did not fit under the normal race so he had to be personally modified by a staffer. He was human by race, and I believe (as I'm told) he was given the strength of a mul. I never tested it extensively, but he was strong as shit--so I never found a reason to. IIRC, he could wear a full suit of silt horror and be at "no problem". Two full large bags of obsidian chunks in his inventory in addition to his armor brought him to "manageable".

As far as size goes--he couldn't sit at some tables or most bars. (It was aggravating that you can't stand at some tables no matter if you move the chairs or not. They've since changed how listen works in regards to guard though, so it's not so bad anymore.) He obviously couldn't wear clothes that he bought until he tailored them--armor too. He broke training weapons on the regular because of his strength.

It was pretty cool to look down at elves.

I could always tell when people noticed just how big he was--sometimes I wouldn't catch the assess -v in the conversation, but most times the tone of the interaction would change drastically. That was always funny. (Oh, you are a behemoth.) Come to think of it, it was remarkably humorous to have people give the old "oh he's not that big" only to have the entire bar look at said person strangely.

Aaaannnddd he masturbated in the barracks.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

You people are -sick-.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Yup, that's the one I was thinking about. Haha. I still remember your woes at trying to find a chick big enough to fit your [you know what goes here] into. :P

I loved that character,

Aaaannnddd he masturbated in the barracks.

Aaaannnddd I love your style. :p

Anyways, to address the OP so that I can feel like I haven't completely derailed this:

I suppose if they can make half-giants from full giants, there's no reason a skilled, magick shitting breeder couldn't make some mix between halfgiants and other races. But the real question is, why would they want to? A halfgiant is the epitome of strength, while still being able to fit into the barracks. Even if you bred it with something like a dwarf, the giant's strength would probably decrease. (Actually, by comparison, dwarves have a higher muscle mass, so maybe a 10ft tall dwarf would be STRONGER.) In any case, no matter what you mixed it with, it would gank it's height / strength. And why have a quarter giant, when you can have a half-giant?

Because of their typically good disposition half-giants are an easily controlled pet. (Normally.) If you cross breed a half-giant by magickal means, you'd likely end up as something akin to a mul, personality wise. So, you'd have a 10 foot tall behemoth who walks around in a dour mood, and is always juust this side of snapping and killing everything in sight - which it could easily do. Probably not worth the effort, though it is a reaaally cool special app concept.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on December 27, 2010, 11:36:24 AM

So, you'd have a 10 foot tall behemoth who walks around in a dour mood, and is always juust this side of snapping and killing everything in sight - which it could easily do. Probably not worth the effort, though it is a reaaally cool special app concept.

Was kind of the idea. Something like an Oash special project or something.

Quote from: Fredd on December 27, 2010, 02:14:40 PM
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on December 27, 2010, 11:36:24 AM

So, you'd have a 10 foot tall behemoth who walks around in a dour mood, and is always juust this side of snapping and killing everything in sight - which it could easily do. Probably not worth the effort, though it is a reaaally cool special app concept.

Was kind of the idea. Something like an Oash special project or something.

Wouldn't that be more Borsail than Oash?
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Not if it involves wigglin'. Which I'm guessing it would probably take for that.
Alea iacta est

Quote from: racurtne on December 27, 2010, 03:28:27 PM
Not if it involves wigglin'. Which I'm guessing it would probably take for that.

Depends... If it was a natural Dwarf man, on half giant woman breeding process.... Borsail.

if it was "cast mon un freakishly giant dwarf!" It's Oash.

December 27, 2010, 08:03:29 PM #26 Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 05:16:41 PM by Sam
This is just hearsay, but if it used wigglers, it was Borsail. If it was all natural, it was Kasix.
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

Half-giant + D-Elf= Kind of scary if you think about it. (especially if you add into it the fact that breeds tend to be on the weird side)

Half-giant + Giant could be interesting...
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on December 28, 2010, 06:08:39 PM
Half-giant + Giant could be interesting...

3/4ths giant????

Good lord that would be frightening.

The absolutely ginormous 3/4ths giant hugs you.

Welcome to Armageddon!

I don't see the point of a 3/4 giant.. might as well just take the whole giant. I'd think HG+dwarf would be pretty awesome. You'd end up with something the size of a large human, with the muscle density of a dwarf.. making it a superhuman-like creature with a focus. Or maybe that's how muls are made.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on March 26, 2011, 03:01:49 PM
Or maybe that's how muls are made.

Nope. Muls are half dwarf, half human I believe.

Yeah but they are about the same size as a human (a little shorter on average) with about the same muscle density as a dwarf.