I need a role. May I be thrown into a story? I need your story. also my story.

Started by Cindy42, December 19, 2010, 07:54:51 PM

I totally don't mind being meat fodder for a serial killer. Really, I dont.

I'm just sorta tired of being killed while surviving on my own, and, yah. I am storyless, I dislike. I want EPIC. I want win.

Also, this random story idea I came up with a long time ago, I'm not interested in being part of it but someone else may get inspired or like it and make something of their own.

No I do have a life. It just so happens that I write stories for a living.
the paragraphing is strange because this is copied and pasted.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
person A was a psychopathic murderer living in Alanak, person B (whose brother was killed
by person A) is out for revenge. person A lives now in Tuluk, having sustained a blow to the head
(a scar there would be nice if you want) doesn't remember all the killing they've done in
Alanak and only remembers events of the past two or three years. they also have a different,
likable and sweet personality.

person c is person a's best friend, because person c saved person a
in the flooding of tuluk. this is around the time person a lost their memory. person c is entitled
to possible dark secrets to flesh out their role in the story if they want, or any other character.
if its possible, could we please have person a and person b being of the opposing rinth races
of elf and human? it would make more sense because of the elf racism psychology, to me anyway, or
a nonhuman race is fine. if you both wish to be human or nonhuman we will probably have to change
their backgrounds, or not, i've never played in the rinth long enough.

when the story begins, person A and C are in Tuluk, and person B should be trying to make their
way to Tuluk from Alanak, or maybe Luir's since its closer, on the way from Alanak of course. its
fine to have a person D in the story, a friend and tag-along of person b.

i planned for things to happen this way; person a regains their memory somehow, and then kills
person c and person d, and has a fight to the death with person b. because of this, person a
should probably be a physically strong character, and persons c and d be of physically weak
races/castes/ages. person b is whatever they want and be nice to see who wins eh?

person a enjoys the kill. they revel in blood, guts, the screams, etc. be nasty and twisted :)
at least when they get their memory back. before then they gotta be completely different.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Al hail Zalanthas!
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
person A was a psychopathic murderer living in Alanak, person B (whose brother was killed
by person A) is out for revenge.
person A lives now in Tuluk, having sustained a blow to the head
(a scar there would be nice if you want) doesn't remember all the killing they've done in
Alanak and only remembers events of the past two or three years. they also have a different,
likable and sweet personality.

person c is person a's best friend, because person c saved person a
in the flooding of tuluk. this is around the time person a lost their memory. person c is entitled
to possible dark secrets to flesh out their role in the story if they want, or any other character.
if its possible, could we please have person a and person b being of the opposing rinth races
of elf and human? it would make more sense because of the elf racism psychology, to me anyway, or
a nonhuman race is fine. if you both wish to be human or nonhuman we will probably have to change
their backgrounds, or not, i've never played in the rinth long enough.

when the story begins, person A and C are in Tuluk, and person B should be trying to make their
way to Tuluk from Alanak, or maybe Luir's since its closer, on the way from Alanak of course. its
fine to have a person D in the story, a friend and tag-along of person b.

i planned for things to happen this way; person a regains their memory somehow, and then kills
person c and person d, and has a fight to the death with person b. because of this, person a
should probably be a physically strong character, and persons c and d be of physically weak
races/castes/ages. person b is whatever they want and be nice to see who wins eh?

person a enjoys the kill. they revel in blood, guts, the screams, etc. be nasty and twisted Smiley
at least when they get their memory back. before then they gotta be completely different.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fixed that for ya!

Dude, epic plots don't happen because someone choreographed the whole thing, start to finish.

And good luck finding 2 people who wants to take a role where they die on day 1.  (Persons C and D.)

Having a nemesis thing is cool, but it's really not something you'd want to plan out like that, especially since rivals are sooo easy to come by in game. Walk into the Gaj, get drunk, and talk shit about Bynners: Nemesis acquired! Also, if you have two fresh characters out for each other at hour 0, he who is warrior or who has higher stats wins. End of story by hour 5. Now what to do with the rest of your character's life?

If you really want an interesting feud, post a call for rival Tuluki bards whose respect for one another his high enough that they won't murder each other, but none-the-less they absolutely HATE each other and are at it every step of the way. When it comes to a violent rivalry, basically whoever wins the battle wins the war, and you're done. A social rivalry could go on for a long time.

Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

If you really want an interesting feud, post a call for rival Tuluki bards whose respect for one another his high enough that they won't murder each other, but none-the-less they absolutely HATE each other and are at it every step of the way. When it comes to a violent rivalry, basically whoever wins the battle wins the war, and you're done. A social rivalry could go on for a long time.

Now that I think about it, when I was a newbie, me and my other newbie friend who had just started the game with me had the glorious idea of having rival bards... from the rinth... who rapped about whether the east side or west side was superior. Unfortunately we were never dead at the same time, and thus never able to app these two "bards", which is surprising because at that point a long lasting character to us was 5 days IRL. :p
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

This reminds me of the MUSH style of RP, where people will often make detailed plans of a plot from start to finish.

On MUDs, and ESPECIALLY on armageddon, people only like to do a bare minimum of planning, and be surprised by what arises.

Have you considered joining a clan that has a lot of conflict?  Like the byn?

This post reminded me of when I first began playing Armageddon.  As a writer, when I come up with a story idea, it fills me with excitement, creativity, and passion.  I really wanted to experience the lives of my script-characters when I began and I couldn't wait to get started. 

Armageddon turned out to be a different experience than I anticipated.  I found that, in Zalanthas, creative control is a delusion.  Real world writing and fantasy roleplay are totally different animals.  They share the need for creativity, intellect, and the ability to express yourself in writing, but they are completely different experiences.  They should be approached as such.

Quote from: Erythil on December 20, 2010, 12:21:46 AM
Have you considered joining a clan that has a lot of conflict?  Like the byn?
To any confident writer new to the game, I recommend playing some roles in high traffic areas until you're as comfortable with the world and the code as you are with your writing prowess.  High traffic areas give you the opportunity for a fast start.  You will also more likely be noticed by over-seeing staff members who have the authority to grant karma and credibility.   After this, you may consider submitting a special app, perhaps for a leadership position.  Those types of positions will often require a lot of the story-building interaction you desire, giving you the chance to easily and actively create and participate in varying plotlines.

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on December 20, 2010, 12:04:37 AMepic plots don't happen because someone choreographed the whole thing, start to finish.
When I read your story idea, like Jack, I got the idea that you want to act out a script with your character.  When you attempt this, it will always lead to disappointment. I think that you need to simplify and leave yourself room to grow and adapt.

Initially, my backgrounds were sickeningly descriptive and more suitable to being the character outline for a novel than the spring board for roleplay.    
There were two things that led me to begin simplifying my character concepts.  

Firstly: Death by beetle.  I had an outrageously detailed character background that I was absolutely in love with.  This character died within a week.  The memory of her unfulfilled potential still slightly wounds me.  With this first occasion came the realization that, unlike a novel, my characters in Zalanthas are subject to unexpected, story-blowing death.  I am not in control of this story.  

Secondly: Realizing the freedom of adaptability.  A fundamental difference between writing and roleplay is personal interaction and the unexpected influences (and opportunities) that it will bring.  I now find it preferable to purposely leave some of the individual character's personality, attitude, and flavor for after I've stepped into his or her  shoes.  This premeditated breathing room makes the time spent role-playing much more interesting and enjoyable.  

As an author, I exert utter creative control over my characters.  Experiencing the loss of that empowerment in the game environment was a discomfiting experience in the beginning.  Stick with it, adapting is a process.  I continue to catch myself over-planning in my short term and long term goals. 

Quote from: Cindy42 on December 19, 2010, 07:54:51 PMI am storyless, I dislike. I want EPIC. I want win.

While roleplaying in Zalanthas, you may have to step back from being an author, but you will blossom as a writer.  And, when you embrace the bedlam, then you truly experience Armageddon.  This is when the "epic" interplay that you're looking for should begin to happen.

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."~D. Adams

I have CDO.  It's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order.       Like they should be.

i was actually, thinking that this was too much, and there were twenty pitfalls in it. you should have seen the long version.

the byn, err.... I don't have the mindset to play a rough assasin-type. but i love how they can incorporate different people at least by what they're saying on the documentation page for them. except the only one i remember being near was a really rough assasin type who didn't seem to mind the fact that someone might get their back stabbed in front of him, as long as he could finish his drink. for some reason that sounds fun now. thanks! :D wow okay i'm happy.

how long do you guys generally live in this game? i don't go a month in real life. it makes me feel bad because i feel like i'm taking up the staff's time. one time i lasted two months. then tuluk flooded. it was sad, too, because, while the flood was in fact responsible for my demise, i didn't drown in it.

umm that isn't IC sensitive right? everyone would know about that? right?

thank you guys for the advice. i'm going to have to learn how to play assasin now, to avoid embarrasing the Byn.
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Most of us have most of our characters die pretty quickly. Life's cheap!

Quote from: Cindy42 on December 20, 2010, 02:07:15 AM
i was actually, thinking that this was too much, and there were twenty pitfalls in it. you should have seen the long version.

the byn, err.... I don't have the mindset to play a rough assasin-type. but i love how they can incorporate different people at least by what they're saying on the documentation page for them. except the only one i remember being near was a really rough assasin type who didn't seem to mind the fact that someone might get their back stabbed in front of him, as long as he could finish his drink. for some reason that sounds fun now. thanks! :D wow okay i'm happy.

how long do you guys generally live in this game? i don't go a month in real life. it makes me feel bad because i feel like i'm taking up the staff's time. one time i lasted two months. then tuluk flooded. it was sad, too, because, while the flood was in fact responsible for my demise, i didn't drown in it.

thank you guys for the advice. i'm going to have to learn how to play assasin now, to avoid embarrasing the Byn.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much; many of us tend to count ourselves lucky if we can keep a character alive for a month (depending on the concept)!  You can start to worry about inconveniencing the staff when you have 60+ characters on your list (like me).  ;)

Whatever you decide to roll with, I wish you luck, but more importantly, I wish you fun.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

The T'zai Byn are mercenaries, not quite assassins.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

how long do you guys generally live in this game? i don't go a month in real life. it makes me feel bad because i feel like i'm taking up the staff's time.

I don't think I've ever lasted for a RL month. Don't think too much about it and enjoy yourself.

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on December 20, 2010, 02:11:40 AM
You can start to worry about inconveniencing the staff when you have 60+ characters on your list

shit

Quote from: HavokBlue on December 20, 2010, 02:35:21 AM
The T'zai Byn are mercenaries, not quite assassins.

But they're often out and about killing people, and assassins (by trade or by class!) are certainly welcome in the T'zai Byn. Assassin with subguild mercenary is pretty much made for that. You kind of suck at combat for a long time, but oh well–you're just a shitty Bynner anyway. It's a fun role. You might end up awesome if you survive. In fact, as long as you drink and whore and spice enough, you're awesome the whole way through.

Anyway, I still say that joining one of the major clans is great for a newbie, because you don't have to worry about the 'survival' aspect of things so much, and can get your feet wet without worrying about feeding your character

Generally, newcomers (and some adventures old-comers) tend to die a lot.  Once a character reaches a certain level of longevity, though, it becomes increasingly easier to stay alive for extremely long periods of time.  Some characters stick around for a few years, but generally turnover is a natural state of affairs.

The Byn are good, because they are like a family. Where else can you get so much love and hate and potential for broken trust.
My characters are products of their background, mainly with no big dreams but an underlying direction to send them into PCness and death.
Some examples- follow the family tradition (my Da never came back!); don't die like all of my bro's; flee from my past; there must be sids to be made in Storm....
The present and the future are what counts, but I find the past sometimes surfaces unexpectedly.

thank y'all so much.

btw, i don't know if i need to make this a new thread, but i need a role, someone who is willing to play a human male who is at least 40 years old. be willing to have one part of your short description and a sizable half or so of your past handed to you. i think this info is IC sensitive so please pm me if you're interested. thanks!

also: don't really need this one, but if you're willing to play an elf female with parts of your main description handed to you and about the same amount of your past as above, please pm me.

i'm asking because i need proof for my past; from there, your personality, job, guilds, alliances, future, method of play, etc. is up to you.

also: don't need this one either, but it would be nice if a dwarf female would jump in. again, all things free, on this one, your sdesc and main desc up to you; i'm basically asking for parts of my family here, but i don't want to reveal too much here.

i'm loving this discussion board. i wish to have a discussion about chuck norris one day, as well as one about what you got for christmas, all the while being unaware if your character is familiar with the colors of my innards or not, or whether you're that polite fellow that chased me down like a rat. :D

someday. :)

EDIT: sorry, just was told i had to clear this with the staff. i do need the male family role, tho, so if ur interested please watch this thread.

EDIT: Bleh, nevermind: the staff saw the un-zalanthaness of this idea and said it was a no-go. :) i kinda thought so.
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!