Why I Don't Play in Storm, something to think about

Started by Marshmellow, December 12, 2010, 03:58:23 PM

Because there are no apartments.  I spent 6 hours a day logged in, enough of that during peak times, and do not see a living soul in the town.  All of the apartments are always rented.  I can only assume that people breeze in, pay rent, do stuff, leave town again, because I never see any of you.  You all suck.  That is all.

(The above is not meant to be a critique, but something to think about.  If you see yourself in what I've said, please, just think about it instead of being offended, because I'm sure other people are irritated too.)
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

My play times are all over the board.  That's the thing.  I run into all sorts of strange people.  My play times aren't consistent.

(I should also note, this is not current commentary.  I am not currently playing in Storm, otherwise I would not have posted this.)

The three times I have ever played in Red Storm, I was surrounded by a small but very talented group of players that kept me very engaged. And there were available apartments.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

I've never waited more than two weeks (an IC month) on an apartment in Storm if I was checking every day.

BEing able to "unrent" now also helps keep people who play "the apartment minigame" from taking up space while they spam rent apartments.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Not to mention, it's hard as fuck to make money there unless you're a crafter or a thief of some sort....

Now that we can forage for spice deposits, spice isn't at all a commodity to PCs anymore, meaning that trying to sell it to other players-- even smuggling, can be a fruitless venture these days.

No clans really operate out of the area.... Sure, they have compounds there, but the only time I've seen <IC infoz removed> go down there was to grab up some <IC infoz removed>.

Red Storm's starting to look like a really, really big Cenyr.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 12, 2010, 05:09:00 PM
No clans really operate out of the area.... Sure, they have compounds there, but the only time I've seen <IC infoz removed> go down there was to grab up some <IC infoz removed>.
Actually, I played in a clan that was extremely active there, and we had a permanent setting down there while I played.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 12, 2010, 04:58:18 PM
BEing able to "unrent" now also helps keep people who play "the apartment minigame" from taking up space while they spam rent apartments.

This. If you never intend to return to your apartment, at least do "rent release". That's really for apartments anywhere.

Storm is one of those places that the Staff has admitted to leaving a little in the "dust" as it were, as it's not meant to be one of the major population hubs of the Known.

Having said that, each and every time I've played in Storm, there's always been at least 3 to 4 other regular PCs kicking about, and plenty of travelers who wander through..and some who end up staying if they like the regulars who stick around.

The place can absolutely be dull and deserted.  It suffers from worse dead times than either of the major city-states (or even Luir's, at times) and as has been noted, if you're not of certain guilds/sub-guilds, making a living there is painstakingly hard.

Spamming the apartment renting in places you never revisit or visit but maybe twice in a PC's life is just rude, in my opinion.  Leave some open for those who actual want to stick around the area.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I'd love to see a very basic survival system usable by all guilds in Storm. Perhaps an automated job or two, and prices on food and water that you could afford doing those basic automated job. I'd rather have any real luxuries accessible only by journey to major cities, or by visiting caravans, or in the local market after it's brought by said caravans.

Storm should absolutely feel desolated and isolated, but it shouldn't be (nearly) impossible to survive for anyone.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on December 13, 2010, 03:58:31 AM
I'd love to see a very basic survival system usable by all guilds in Storm. Perhaps an automated job or two, and prices on food and water that you could afford doing those basic automated job. I'd rather have any real luxuries accessible only by journey to major cities, or by visiting caravans, or in the local market after it's brought by said caravans.

Storm should absolutely feel desolated and isolated, but it shouldn't be (nearly) impossible to survive for anyone.

Hmm..Idea:

New spot in each city/settlement's market area: Caravan wagons/stalls/whatever.  Only appears on a set schedule, starting first (as an example) in Cenyr, then Storm, then Allanak, then Luir's, then Tuluk, back to Luir's, etc.  Carries a random assortment of goods gathered from each place.  Maybe an option to have something rare show up once in a while.  The more cash spent in a place, the better quality goods it brings from the place it visited before.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on December 13, 2010, 08:20:51 AM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on December 13, 2010, 03:58:31 AM

Hmm..Idea:

New spot in each city/settlement's market area: Caravan wagons/stalls/whatever.  Only appears on a set schedule, starting first (as an example) in Cenyr, then Storm, then Allanak, then Luir's, then Tuluk, back to Luir's, etc.  Carries a random assortment of goods gathered from each place.  Maybe an option to have something rare show up once in a while.  The more cash spent in a place, the better quality goods it brings from the place it visited before.

Would be cool if a player could acquire a wagon and pull this off. o:

Wagon?  All you need is a half-giant with a couple of large trunks.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 13, 2010, 05:29:21 PM
Wagon?  All you need is a half-giant with a couple of large trunks.

Or a <censored> with <censored>.

Or maybe even just a <censored>.

Of course, you could always go with the <censored>, <censored> or <censored> option.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Almost every time i go to storm, i run into a few people. and have had the whole gammut of rp.

I also know thet there is commonly a group of people that rp "undesirables" in that town.

i love red storm.

can i ask; is there possibly a way to be employed by the sand lord in red storm or is this IC sensitive?

because i would love nothing more than to be able to survive by myself in that town, i love it, but normally, i never figure out a way to stay there and eventually have to move.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Cindy42 on January 03, 2011, 01:48:35 PM
i love red storm.

can i ask; is there possibly a way to be employed by the sand lord in red storm or is this IC sensitive?

because i would love nothing more than to be able to survive by myself in that town, i love it, but normally, i never figure out a way to stay there and eventually have to move.

Normally the only employment available in Storm is one of the three open GMHs or an independent merc or hunting group. OR START YOUR OWN!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

question:

could an independent merchant survive in red storm by themselves?
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Cindy42 on January 03, 2011, 01:57:36 PM
question:

Answer:

It's solely dependent on the creativity of the player/character. You can survive anywhere.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

question:

I know someone that makes a few thousand coins an ig day there. So, yes. You can survive. very well. Very very well.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on January 03, 2011, 03:06:29 PM
question:

I know someone that makes a few thousand coins an ig day there. So, yes. You can survive. very well. Very very well.

I'd like to add it's very, very hard to survive if you don't know exactly how, and don't have the right skills at start. Even more so if Red Storm happens to be mostly inactive / filled with loner characters.

I once had a Red Stormer who was so desperate, she had to go whore in Allanak to survive.  :P

question:

Could you survive from an in-game "will you eat and be able to buy stuff" perspective?  Sure, totally.  Will you die of boredom?  Probably.

question:

I know someone that makes a few thousand coins an RL day there. So, yes. You can survive. very well. Very very well.

FTFY

As far as it being viable for an out of the box character to survive alone.
You can't, anymore.
Unless you know what skills you need before hand, and then pick them.
Backstab is actually the only dialog option an assassin has.

I guess what everyone's trying to say is, if you're going to play an indie character with the merchant guild AND expect to be able to survive on your own... well, you'll really want to understand Red Storm well, and what can make you money there and then pick one of the sub-guilds that have it easier than the rest towards that end.  I would tend to agree.

With certain skills, however, you can make well more than a comfortable living.  With the right skills, it can get silly easy.

If you want to learn Red Storm, I'd wager you'll have a better time finding a way to play a character that can get down there regularly but isn't actually from Storm.  If you try to go for it without learning the ins and outs, well, you may just go through a few characters that really, really, really have a hard time of it.  You can learn a lot through IC means, actually, with a non-Stormer, and then go play a Stormer.

(You know, I think I may just try a Stormer again, after thinking about things... just pick the right sub-guild so I can make enough coin to get things going, like getting a real crew operating out of there.  I could see if I can manage getting myself a well-branched merchant from down there.  An interesting challenge with the lack of certain resources, but that should make lots of good things for others to do.  :))