Half-giants and Tuluk

Started by Shepard, November 25, 2010, 09:05:01 PM

That roleplaying of HG's got me a thinkin':

Would Tuluk have a general dislike for the use of half-giants? I bring this up because of the fact that if anything half-giants would all lack subtly. It might be frowned upon that you have a HG working for you because they are blunt tools. Yes, they have their uses, but would people not generally frown upon them?

What does everyone else think?

And half giants are the product of magick from long ago, aren't they?
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on November 25, 2010, 09:07:12 PM
And half giants are the product of magick from long ago, aren't they?

As far as I know, this is true. And makes another strong and valid point against the tree huggers hugging HGs.

The local king says there good enough. (No laws that state they are bad ones.)
I would think his people would take this into consideration. (Right?)
Then the idea that half-giants are okay would become the norm for the population generation after generation.

I would think anyway...
Backstab is actually the only dialog option an assassin has.

When people talk about how Half-giants were magically created, maybe it misleads people to think that -every- Half-giant is made via magical means.

The race was perhaps begun through magic but since that time, they have been born, bred, aged and died like every other living creature.

I would think your typical commoner wouldn't even know that half-giants were created - That they are just naturally stupid, big people.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Shepard on November 25, 2010, 09:05:01 PM

Would Tuluk have a general dislike for the use of half-giants? I bring this up because of the fact that if anything half-giants would all lack subtly. It might be frowned upon that you have a HG working for you because they are blunt tools. Yes, they have their uses, but would people not generally frown upon them?

The city wouldn't survive if its armies were composed of izdari-playing, wine-sipping, master assassins/bards.

Quote from: spicemustflow on November 25, 2010, 10:43:52 PM

The city wouldn't survive if its armies were composed of izdari-playing, wine-sipping, master assassins/bards.

Wouldn't it?

A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: Wolfsong on November 25, 2010, 10:57:03 PM
Quote from: spicemustflow on November 25, 2010, 10:43:52 PM

Wouldn't it?

Damn you, that movie makes me feel old and I'm only 25. Put that masked man away.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Don't take the Tuluki love of subtlety too far. Tulukis aim to be subtle about social or political action because it's a convention picked up during the Rebellion, when overt resistance meant death by jade-crossed obsidian longsword.

You don't have to be subtle about, say, carrying all these boxes down to Freil's Rest. Half-giants do that sort of thing just fine.

Besides, you don't have to worry about somebody using your HG against you in a subtle manner.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on November 26, 2010, 02:06:05 PM
Besides, you don't have to worry about somebody using your HG against you in a subtle manner.

whi giant (speaking softly, and pointing westward at ~chosen) See the fellow over there with a silver ring?  He stole -all- your candy, and it's hidden in his trousers right now.  You'll never have any candy again unless you get it back.

e (whistling a jaunty tune)
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Less then subtle...still, going along with that.

Hg runs over to ~chosen

tell chosen (pointing at ^chosen crotch) Give my candy back!

Chosen says in noblish "Candy...I don't have it, see that faithful over there, she took it from me and has it in her blouse right now."

think This should be amusing.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Scarecrow on November 25, 2010, 11:37:53 PM
Damn you, that movie makes me feel old and I'm only 25. Put that masked man away.

I saw that movie in the theater when you were ... a one-year-old. Don't feel old, please.

On topic: If the Sun King is using Half-Giants, I'm going to say that using Half-Giants is A-OK. "Surely you aren't implying that HE lacks subtlety?" *PC who mentioned that h-gs weren't subtle vanishes in a Lirathan blur*.

I sometimes think that player prejudices should be guided a bit more by what we see in the NPC population. There are people who flip out when an elf PC walks into a bar ... but those same people will happily buy and sell with countless sharp-ear and half-breed npcs who are trusted to own and run shops, count money, etc. Half-giants are employed everywhere in the npc population. I think we should interpret this to mean that it's OK to employ half-giants except in cases where clan rules explicitly say otherwise.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Half-giants aren't human and have to live up to the same standards.  It would be like asking that your kank be subtle.  It's a kank.

Quote from: Thunkkin on November 28, 2010, 01:17:59 PM
Quote from: Scarecrow on November 25, 2010, 11:37:53 PM

I saw that movie in the theater when you were ... a one-year-old. Don't feel old, please.

On topic: If the Sun King is using Half-Giants, I'm going to say that using Half-Giants is A-OK. "Surely you aren't implying that HE lacks subtlety?" *PC who mentioned that h-gs weren't subtle vanishes in a Lirathan blur*.

I sometimes think that player prejudices should be guided a bit more by what we see in the NPC population. There are people who flip out when an elf PC walks into a bar ... but those same people will happily buy and sell with countless sharp-ear and half-breed npcs who are trusted to own and run shops, count money, etc. Half-giants are employed everywhere in the npc population. I think we should interpret this to mean that it's OK to employ half-giants except in cases where clan rules explicitly say otherwise.

Interesting point about buying from other races that prejudices are held against, perhaps, in thinking on this, Pc's with such dilikes of those races should opt to buy from their counter parts since there tends to be more than one vendor or shop for most things.

But as far as Half-giants go, though they where created by magic they are not wielding magic, they don't radiate magic that anyone could be able to openly tell, and they as most stupid beasts that are trained as work beasts hold enough intellect to follow basic if not slighter more that basic orders. Key here is training. Shit, I think every one should own a half giant, I do.  (joking of coarse)
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Most people in Zalanthas probably do not know or think that half-giants were created by magic.

For that matter, most people on Zalanthas would probably refer to a half-giant as just a giant, having no appropriate frame of reference.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 29, 2010, 08:51:54 PM
For that matter, most people on Zalanthas would probably refer to a half-giant as just a giant, having no appropriate frame of reference.

Should elves be ripping into the half-humans?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 29, 2010, 08:51:54 PM

I thought so too. And then there was the "incident" a couple years back.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

QuoteChosen says in noblish "Candy...I don't have it, see that faithful over there, she took it from me and has it in her blouse right now."

say (pointing at %faithful chest) Gimme your blouse candy!

the curvaceous, full-chested, kohl-eyed, long-desced faithful turns and looks ~HG down and up.. then down.

the faithful f-me says OOC: "consent?"

---

It's not out of reason to believe that a half-giant could be subtle. They do, after-all, watch those around them for cues to imitate. Assuming a HG is capable of picking up on subtlety, they could learn to emulate it quite well. I always felt that writing off the race as 'dumb' does it an injustice. But that's another thread.

Even if a half-giant were incapable of being subtle, above all they're easy to manipulate, which could be useful (albeit risky) to a subtle conspirator.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

QuoteAre Half-Giants Easily Tricked?

They are very easily tricked. They cannot think flexibly or with subtlety, they cannot grasp abstract concepts,

Half-giant even mimicing subtle would be less then. Though still maybe interesting.

the faithful f-me says ooc: Consent?

snickers
Lizzie:

In my opinion, a half-giant emulating subtlety in Tuluk would likely result in observing enigmatic phrases said by people and memorizing, then parroting them, often in situations where it makes no sense at all to say such things. For example, a half-giant might observe a human asking a half-elf how his parents are doing, and the half-elf might start crying and run away. The half-giant might realize one thing you can say to people you dislike is "How are your parents doing?" and say it to every southerner he meets in Tuluk.

In any case, the tradition of Tuluki subtlety does not demand subtlety in every action from every person. If you look at the docs it implies that the tradition of subtlety applies to those with a social standing to worry about, and primarily regarding actions that are best performed covertly.

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on November 30, 2010, 10:54:20 PM
QuoteChosen says in noblish "Candy...I don't have it, see that faithful over there, she took it from me and has it in her blouse right now."

say (pointing at %faithful chest) Gimme your blouse candy!

the curvaceous, full-chested, kohl-eyed, long-desced faithful turns and looks ~HG down and up.. then down.

the faithful f-me says OOC: "consent?"

I'm going to use that line at my next party.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.