Slavery in Red Storm

Started by Barsook, November 22, 2010, 09:12:54 PM

Is there any?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Slavery is banned in the village, by order of the Sand Lord.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

From http://www.armageddon.org/general/slavery.html : Within Red Storm, the use of slaves is tolerated, but the practice of enslaving people is prohibited.

So, if you're a major organization bringing slaves into Red Storm from another place, sure. But everyone that enters free is considered free.

Quote from: Pale Horse on November 22, 2010, 09:24:54 PM

Since the beginning of time (in game)?

Quote from: Cutthroat on November 22, 2010, 09:25:34 PM
From http://www.armageddon.org/general/slavery.html : Within Red Storm, the use of slaves is tolerated, but the practice of enslaving people is prohibited.

So, if you're a major organization bringing slaves into Red Storm from another place, sure. But everyone that enters free is considered free.

Okay.  Is okay to say, in a PC background, that they escaped from Red Storm as a slave?
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on November 22, 2010, 09:27:11 PM
Quote from: Pale Horse on November 22, 2010, 09:24:54 PM

Since the beginning of time (in game)?

Quote from: Cutthroat on November 22, 2010, 09:25:34 PM

Okay.  Is okay to say, in a PC background, that they escaped from Red Storm as a slave?

It would be more likely that you escaped -to- red storm as a former slave.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Redo...nevermind.  I think my background is okay for my next PC.
Fredd-

It's best to think of Red Storm as a place so simple that slaves dedicated to one or two tasks don't really work well.  When you have slaves skilled enough as artisans, there really isn't enough social structure to prevent them becoming more important than the unskilled people.

Considering a vast majority of Red Storm's militia are escaped slaves and gladiators, I don't think they'd take slavery lightly.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on November 23, 2010, 03:01:21 PM
Considering a vast majority of Red Storm's militia are escaped slaves and gladiators, I don't think they'd take slavery lightly.
Where are you getting this idea?
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: EvilRoeSlade on March 16, 2011, 10:32:34 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on November 23, 2010, 03:01:21 PM
Where are you getting this idea?

From documentation. http://www.armageddon.org/intro/redstorm.html

And considering the large population of muls forming their militia ranks.....

I don't think there are enough muls in the world to constitute a majority of anything, much less a militia.

There are lots of NPC muls in Red Storm because if there weren't, every silt-horror that chased a newbie back to the gates would ransack the entire town.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Maybe "vast majority" was a poor choice of words on my part.

But I'd still maintain that more than a few high-ranking Red Storm Militia were slaves at one point.

Then again, without any solid docs on the RSM itself, it's all speculation from this guy.

i'm under the impression that there's an awful, awful lot of escapees-from-something living in Red Storm, maybe even making up a majority.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

It has to be tolerated, even though not practiced because of the merchant houses there. They use slaves and trade in RS.

Otherwise, RS == "live free or die"
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on June 10, 2011, 09:56:45 PM
Otherwise, RS == "live free or die"

Back up off my state!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Here's a few bits and pieces from the docs...

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/intro/redstorm.htmlIt is rumored that several of the high-ranking militia were former gladiators or slaves.

Most of the people in Red Storm Village are outcasts of one sort or another. Many raider bands operate out of the village, though the Sand Lord does not tolerate raiding close to the village. Escaped gladiators and other slaves may be considered higher profile, but they do not make up the majority of the village population. Most civilians in Red Storm Village are spice hunters, farmers, wagon personnel, or Kuraci personnel. While the Kuraci have a high profile in the village, they are not the law.

The same goes for anyone openly belonging to one of the Allanaki noble Houses, or other such groups. They will be left alone while in the village, unless they cause trouble, but there will likely be several hostile people waiting for them some distance outside, since many of the citizens here are escapees from the oppression of Allanak, and hate their former oppressors with a vengeance.

So, not a majority were slaves but most people are outcasts of some sort or "escapees from the oppression of Allanak".  So from this I would guess that most slave-owners would be treated similar to how Allanaki noble Houses are treated.  They would tolerate them, but it may be likely that "raiders" will be waiting for them a little ways outside the village.

Quote from: Barsook on November 22, 2010, 09:27:11 PM
Is okay to say, in a PC background, that they escaped from Red Storm as a slave?

I would think that it would be okay if you were brought to Red Storm by some other organization that owned you as a slave... then perhaps that is where you were able to escape... or not far outside the village.