Forage rock (for pet)

Started by aphex, November 18, 2010, 08:00:09 PM

So now that I've got my pet rock..

What exactly are the applications of this? Is this just a parameter?

forage rock for obsidian, will that just be foraging only obsidian shards and such?
Quote from: MeTekillot on July 11, 2011, 04:23:45 PM
Be a dick, but don't over-dick it.

So far as I can tell, the better way to write this out is 'forage (type) for (keyword)'.  If you're using the 'for' argument, you will only find items that match 'keyword' when foraging for 'type'.  This means that if you 'forage rock for obsidian' that you will only find objects of type 'rock' that match the keyword 'obsidian', so yes, you will only find obsidian shards of any/all types that are available where you are doing the foraging.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

November 18, 2010, 10:03:41 PM #3 Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:05:29 PM by Lizzie
You can "forage rocks for jade" or "forage rocks for small" or "forage stone for long" or "forage stones for chunk"

or forage food for plump or forage food for red or forage food for root - etc. etc...

You'll find anything that fits the category, and narrowed down to anything that contains the specified keyword.

This also means that if there are more than just shards of obsidian forageable as rocks, then "forage rocks for obsidian" will give you the chance to pick up ANY of those things, that have obsidian as a keyword, that are also in the category of "rocks." I know there are a few different forageable obsidian "things." So you won't necessarily find -only- shards.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I wonder if you can use "dot syntax" for this?  Such as 'forage rocks for head.sized.grey'?
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Only one keyword allowed, I believe.

I wasn't sure how this worked so I "forage rock for throw" ... I got something that was throwable, but I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not.  I just wish I could "forage rock for two-room-throw", heh.

I assumed that it was to work the way that is being described here, yet my 'forage kindling for tendril' provided me with a skinny baobob twig or two, which are decidedly -not- tendril-y...

Krath dammit...I lost my pet rock...*sigh*

forage head... hmm the implications.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: manipura on November 19, 2010, 02:04:27 AM
I assumed that it was to work the way that is being described here, yet my 'forage kindling for tendril' provided me with a skinny baobob twig or two, which are decidedly -not- tendril-y...

Sounds like a bug. If you have a log, send it in via the request tool so we can take a look at it.

Quote from: Oleupata on November 19, 2010, 07:49:39 AM
Quote from: manipura on November 19, 2010, 02:04:27 AM

Sounds like a bug. If you have a log, send it in via the request tool so we can take a look at it.

I just figured this was due to a middling success...found something, but it wasn't quite what you were looking for.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Wow, I just rolled a new char yesterday after a long absence. We can now forage FOR things? Yippie!
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Discrimination in foraging? It's a good time to come back.
Quote from: Scarecrow on February 21, 2014, 04:45:46 PMIn Zalanthas, people don't dig graves with shovels, they dig them with their own tongues.

Aye, it's.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

There's so much I miss by not keeping up with the GDB.

This command drives me to anger. I will forage for item all day and never find it. Then when I just forage the old way I grab several immediately. Hate.

I think it should give a bonus to find that specific item, based on your forage skill and the difficulty of the item. Novice/apprentice foragers wouldn't get a bonus, but master foragers should have a noticeable bonus, especially for finding common things.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on February 25, 2011, 04:04:24 AM
I think it should give a bonus to find that specific item, based on your forage skill and the difficulty of the item. Novice/apprentice foragers wouldn't get a bonus, but master foragers should have a noticeable bonus, especially for finding common things.

+1

I never use the new system for that very reason. I find much more stuff the old way.

I haven't had any problems with the new system, would be nice if you could apply a bonus for certain keywords only. Generally when I'm looking for a branch in a forest and come up empty 19 times out of 20 for instance. There are certain things you forage for on occasion that just shouldn't be so difficult to find.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I really wish you could use keywords to -not- look for.

forage ____ not ____

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on February 25, 2011, 06:40:00 AM
I really wish you could use keywords to -not- look for.

forage ____ not ____
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: hyzhenhok on February 25, 2011, 04:04:24 AM

I agree. What do you think, Morgenes?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I predict the answer will be something like "at this time code does not support this" or a "No."