Speaking of names...

Started by crymerci, July 14, 2003, 08:02:50 PM

How common do you think it would be for Zalanthans to name their children for other people?  Kids might be named for their grandparents or other relatives, I would imagine.  And how about naming them for distinguished personages?  I'm surprised Quintus isn't the most popular boy-name in Allanak, it's the ultimate in kiss-ass flattery.

Anyhow...comments? Opinions?
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I actually have been tempted to name Allanaki characters after famous templars I remember with that very thought in mind.  Who wouldn't appreciate the irony of  having a 'rinth rat named after a famous templar?  That said, there is the distinict possibility that it might be looked upon as someone trying to claim rank and nobility that is not theirs.  For that reason, I imagine it is a lot safer for a noble to name his kid after some old relative then it is for a commoner to be named after a great noble.

I rather fancy the idea of taking names, or offshoots of names, from famous templars or rulers.  In many ancient cultures this was far from considered being looked upon as someone trying to claim rank and nobility that was not theirs.  For example, in ancient Egypt, many names had endings based on deities or pharaohs, such as Menmet-Ra (the ending taken from the god Ra), or Ptahetep (taken from Ptah), and so on -- this was considered a great honor, not a slandering of higher peoples.  Other names were even more direct, for example Ramses was common amongst everyone from the lowliest slave to even the Pharaohs Ramses I and II.  I think it's a question of how Tektolnes and Muk Utep, specifically, view/accept this.  Are they and their templars offended by such acts or flattered, eager to see themselves revered by the commoners?  Perhaps names like Tolneset (from Tektolnes) or Utepes (from Muk Utep -- or even Muk <Name> as a common prefix) or Aquila (to take a name from a famous templar in the history page) and others would be commonplace in Zalanthas.