Scents and Smells

Started by Dahomey, October 29, 2010, 04:53:36 PM

I would very much like to see hidden emotes for unique smells coming from people. If they just cleaned the stables, people should notice the smell of crap on them. If they're wearing perfume, it should give off an aroma people would notice. Thoughts?

The hidden emote doesn't have to be very frequent... but for the more stronger smells that people can have, I think it would be quite noticeable. It would add another dimension to the game that I think is rather overseen by many.

There's a "sniff" command, and anyone who's been exposed to anything particularly odorous -will- smell like something other than dust and sweat. The best thing about it, is it is an invisible command - no one can see you sniffing them.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I almost wish 'sniff' wasn't invisible so that people would assume my characters are all feral savages with how much I sniff people. ;)
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Woah, since when was sniff invisible? Awesomesauce if it is.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: Marshmellow on October 30, 2010, 12:02:33 AM
I almost wish 'sniff' wasn't invisible so that people would assume my characters are all feral savages with how much I sniff people. ;)

You can emote sniffing people after using the command.
Lunch makes me happy.

True, but my character isn't doing anything feral.  I'm just seeking information that may be obvious so that I can react to it.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Maybe add the person's smell to when you 'assess' them?

Quote from: Dahomey on October 31, 2010, 11:09:27 AM

That's a good idea.

I know "sniff" use to be visible when you were smelling people... but I think it was changed a long time ago.  Isn't "sniff" by itself still visible, for smelling rooms?

Quote from: Sokotra on October 31, 2010, 11:23:57 AM
Quote from: Dahomey on October 31, 2010, 11:09:27 AM

That's a good idea.

I know "sniff" use to be visible when you were smelling people... but I think it was changed a long time ago.  Isn't "sniff" by itself still visible, for smelling rooms?

The sniff command:
Syntax:
   sniff <object>
   sniff <person>
   sniff room

"Sniff" alone triggers a built in emote like "kiss" or "nod."