Advertising for Armageddon (more players!)

Started by Sokotra, October 08, 2010, 12:10:02 AM

I'm a brand new player who's been in-game with his first character for only a few hours yet, and here's my perspective.

I played Gemstone for 3 fantastic years, but then I got poor (read: got engaged) and had to go looking for a free mud. I checked TopMudSites and Achaea (@jriley - yes, the gay one) was listed first. I jumped in and didn't look back. The barrier to entry is low because the game is setup so that you start out in a guild and are immediately given an orientation by a guild mate and the next thing you know, you really feel a part of a community. Achaea does have great role-playing if you look for it, but there is still way too much reliance on grind and numbers. I played Achaea for five long years before I ate the red pill and woke up.

Once again I hopped onto TopMudSites and started going down the list. By now, I knew there were muds that enforced role-playing, so one by one, I checked out the details of each on The Mud Connector, particularly looking for that keyword Role-playing Enforced. I tried Threshold, and it was promising, but the inability to turn off the OOC Citizens channel was a deal breaker for me.

When I found Armageddon, I was taken by just how *different* it appeared to be, and this from simply reading the content on the website. I read testimonials on the forums about when it *clicked* for people... when and how they fell in love with Armageddon. I read up, wrote my character, got rejected, modified him, got approved, logged in, and was immediately lost and confused. Hehe.  I observed some people in the tavern for a bit, one of them insulted my character, and I hesitantly started rp'ing with them. My contribution was devoid of any custom emotes since I had no clue how to do it yet, but I was pleased to be in game, to have made some contacts. I can tell that this is a good place.

I am an example of the value of TopMudSites and others like it. I consider myself a strong roleplayer, but not knowing what I was missing, I naively hopped onto the lesser muds simply because they were higher on the list. If armageddon were higher on the list, even more players would give it a try. And the barrier to entry is pretty high, so I don't think you need to worry about the quality of the incoming players as visibility increases.

I would echo (in order of priority) some of the suggestions already mentioned:
1. Word of mouth - By far the most effective for retaining new players
2. Boost score on Top Mud Sites and The MUD Connector - For increasing general visibility
3. Post on like-minded forums - It's impersonal, but it's a targeted audience

Quote from: jriley on October 08, 2010, 03:05:22 PM
The first rule of Project Mayhem...

This
QuoteJust as a point of strategy, it makes much more sense for us to let the bigger, more-generic MUDs do the recruiting from the general gamer playerbase, and then for us to snipe malcontent players and lure them into our MUD from within the MUD community. 

makes a lot of sense, and I can agree with the premise of recruiting mudders that are "tired of H&S" or "tired of RP-encouraged" or what have you, and are seeking something more. However, we don't need to delve into what is essentially sabotaging other MUDs secretly - mainly because it would look pretty bad.

We can achieve the same effect by posting advertisements on NEUTRAL (not controlled by any one game) mudding/tabletop RPG/roleplaying forums. We can time those advertisements with large RPTs, like Luirsfest-scale. We can achieve quality control once new players are in the game by setting an example for what we expect. We need greater name recognition and a focus on getting our name as a game out there. Voting for ArmageddonMUD on Mud Connector and Top Mud Sites helps, but there's more work to be done. I think it would be interesting to see this page updated to be more appealing and contain more information first, since it is the page that TMS links to in their MUD listings: http://www.armageddon.org/intro/adpage.html

I think that the most effective method of advertisement is word-of-mouth, however. A good amount of players are students that probably have a computer lab or roleplaying club in their school. Even if you would normally never be seen in there, go in there and at least post a flyer or something.

I suppose my objection is using other MUDs and/or their forums with the sole purpose to advertise our own game.

If we wouldn't want people doing it to us (coming here and advertising for their game), we shouldn't do it to them.

It could look awful and drive away more potential players than it would bring in.

Instead of advertising ourselves as a MUD, why don't we advertise ourselves as a code heavy MUSH?

I believe MUSH is interchangeable with RP and not a lot of code.
I believe MUD is interchangeable with Hack and Slash.
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on October 08, 2010, 03:14:42 PM
Moderation in 3...2...

You're not exactly wrong; it just doesn't need to sound that sinister. ;)

Very well.  Be that as it may, let us instead pursue a more amicable line of inquiry. 

I propose the establishment of an Armageddon Intergame Friendship Council, to pursue the establishment of eternal friendship and fraternity between role playing game enthusiasts, to support the goals of Dear Leader and to further the Juche Ideal.
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

Quote from: Aarlo on October 08, 2010, 03:34:48 PM
When I found Armageddon, I was taken by just how *different* it appeared to be, and this from simply reading the content on the website....

Thank you for that post.

Thinking: Maybe changing the blurb on TMS to emphasis just how different Arm is could pull people.  The current blurb is functional, but it doesn't really pop out and throttle the reader with the notion that RPIs are a different experience than the typical MUD.  Blurb is probably four years old now, so it's due for a change anyway. I'm not a great writer, so I'm sure someone could come up with something better, but I'm thinking something like this:

"Ready for something completely different?  For nearly 20 years, Armageddon MUD has hosted the most intense, mature roleplaying in any online game -- ever! Set in a harsh, low-fantasy wasteland that will seem familiar to fans of Dark Sun and Dune, Arma features a believable world, unrestricted player-vs-player conflict, permadeath, dedicated staff and players, and the strictest roleplaying requirements.  It's not for everyone, but if you're looking for a real story, real grit, then maybe it's for you."   Anyone have a better idea?

October 08, 2010, 04:56:29 PM #31 Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:14:26 PM by Gunnerblaster
Here are some things I think may draw in more crowd, without subtracting from potential.

1.) I think it would be eye-catching to put up a few player-submitted artworks on the mainpage. Maybe the race sheet or some random, hardcore oil-painting that Bisuits and OHST are so fond of pimping out for us. Let's look at popular MMO's and think to ourselves, "What makes me want to play this game?" (ie. Example One, Example Two, Example Three)

2.) Jazz up the ArmageddonMUD sign on the homepage. Don't make it glam and spam, but maybe a bit of cultural flavor from the game on it (I know, none of us can read in-game, anyways). Maybe have some drawing competitions and have the best staff-voted picture put up there. (ie. Example One, Example Two, Example Three, Example Four)
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Actually, we need to do away with using the terms MUSH, MU*, or MUD entirely. With the advent of MMPORPGs, the new (and correct term) to label ourselves as is a RPI-MMO. Roleplayer Intensive Massively Multiplayer Online Game . In fact, to make it look better, you might say MMORPI.

Yes, MMORPI looks better.

Within the text of the introduction on the front page of the website, of course, you do inform the player about the game being entirely textual. But the word MUD doesn't draw players in, because these young bastards have no idea what a MUD is. Everyone knows what a MMO is. Everyone will at least want to know what the hell the RPI on the end of MMO stands for.

Furthermore, defining yourself as a MMO instead of a MUD will cause more Gaming Review Editors to at least investigate the game, or the website, instead of discarding it when the name comes across the desk because "Muds or so yesterday".
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 08, 2010, 05:13:19 PM
Actually, we need to do away with using the terms MUSH, MU*, or MUD entirely. With the advent of MMPORPGs, the new (and correct term) to label ourselves as is a RPI-MMO. Roleplayer Intensive Massively Multiplayer Online Game . In fact, to make it look better, you might say MMORPI.

Yes, MMORPI looks better.

Within the text of the introduction on the front page of the website, of course, you do inform the player about the game being entirely textual. But the word MUD doesn't draw players in, because these young bastards have no idea what a MUD is. Everyone knows what a MMO is. Everyone will at least want to know what the hell the RPI on the end of MMO stands for.

Furthermore, defining yourself as a MMO instead of a MUD will cause more Gaming Review Editors to at least investigate the game, or the website, instead of discarding it when the name comes across the desk because "Muds or so yesterday".
+1
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Kronus on October 08, 2010, 10:21:23 AM
I suspect we get a lot of new players who spend hours on an application, enter the game, stumble around lost until they find a tavern, get mostly ignored by the people RPing inside, get all intimidated by the emotes they can't match (because they don't get the syntax if nothing else) and then go linkdead without even caring what happens to their character because they're never coming back.  Ever.  And then I steal the coins and tandu sausage from their inventory.

Prophetically, I think...

Quote from: Aarlo on October 08, 2010, 03:34:48 PM
I read up, wrote my character, got rejected, modified him, got approved, logged in, and was immediately lost and confused. Hehe.  I observed some people in the tavern for a bit, one of them insulted my character, and I hesitantly started rp'ing with them. My contribution was devoid of any custom emotes since I had no clue how to do it yet, but I was pleased to be in game, to have made some contacts. I can tell that this is a good place.

You did something which a large number of raw newbies won't do, and that's take the first step by responding to something and speaking to someone.   I'm glad you made it through your first tavern scene, though I'm a little sad I won't get to eat your tandu sausages.

Read that one up there. This one doesn't exist.

Quote from: Kronus on October 08, 2010, 06:02:58 PMI'm glad you made it through your first tavern scene, though I'm a little sad I won't get to eat your tandu sausages.
Actually someone got their hands on some of my stuff before I figured out I should toss everything into my pack.. and CLOSE it!

I suppose there's nothing like a good thief's welcome to Armageddon!

I've seen only a couple of people who play/have ever played Arm, posting on the TMS and Mudconnector forums. This gives the impression that Arm players are intentionally avoiding being part of the MUD community. This further gives the impression that we're all a bunch of snooty snobs who think we're too good for communities outside our own game forum. Which might, by extension, turn off a lot of potentially awesome new players.

I'm not suggesting we all make accounts and spam the forums, but perhaps instead of just voting, without being an actual contributor to their websites, we could make more of an effort to create a presence there other than our game's hyperlink on a list that doesn't "really" mean all that much.

In other words, rather than emphasizing "Armageddon" on an arbitrary list as our exclusive method of visibility, why not become participants in their communities?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Is Friday on October 08, 2010, 09:09:20 AM
I prefer quality over quantity. If we get a lot of players from a general demographic, we're going to pollute our playerbase.

Many vets today started out as complete and utter noobs and didn't 'get' roleplay, I wager.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Aarlo on October 08, 2010, 06:19:47 PM
Quote from: Kronus on October 08, 2010, 06:02:58 PMI'm glad you made it through your first tavern scene, though I'm a little sad I won't get to eat your tandu sausages.
Actually someone got their hands on some of my stuff before I figured out I should toss everything into my pack.. and CLOSE it!

I suppose there's nothing like a good thief's welcome to Armageddon!

I guess it bears mentioning that people preying on and exploiting new players is a great way to drive them off the game.  I deliberately don't steal from newbie characters because it's hard enough surviving those first few days.

Quote from: Lizzie on October 08, 2010, 06:25:20 PM
I've seen only a couple of people who play/have ever played Arm, posting on the TMS and Mudconnector forums. This gives the impression that Arm players are intentionally avoiding being part of the MUD community.

I'm basically not interested in any other MUDs.  I suppose I'd try SoI, or another "real" (permadeath) RPI, if something terrible happened to Arm.

But 99% of MUDs, even those that consider themselves roleplay-enforced, don't require serious roleplaying.  If I only wanted to explore and level up, I'd go play Eve.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

October 08, 2010, 09:17:30 PM #42 Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:20:40 PM by Barzalene
I don't like the forums there. No one listens. Everyone just wants to have the same debate over and over.

-edited to add: Sorry that wasn't productive. Yes, we should post more over there. I was just explaining one reason it might not be happening as much as it should.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on October 08, 2010, 09:17:30 PM
I don't like the forums there. No one listens. Everyone just wants to have the same debate over and over.

I CAN TYPE LOUDER THAN YOU.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on October 08, 2010, 09:18:36 PM

I CAN TYPE LOUDER THAN YOU.

I concede this point.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

QuoteThis further gives the impression that we're all a bunch of snooty snobs who think we're too good for communities outside our own game forum

But...we are!
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Lizzie on October 08, 2010, 06:25:20 PMIn other words, rather than emphasizing "Armageddon" on an arbitrary list as our exclusive method of visibility, why not become participants in their communities?

Yes, we should post more over there. I was just explaining one reason it might not be happening as much as it should.

You both make a good point. Be the change you want to see.

Anyone want to work on compiling something kick-ass, informative, and awesome enough to post over there under the advertisements?

Ideally, two different posts. One to lure folks in with an awesome taste of the world, and another which is... kind of an update/brief with little things in it that you'd DEFINITELY want to know before coming in? (ie bowing/nodding to templars, not to go outside alone, etc). While I realize Mansa's done a very awesome newbie guide, realistically, new people are probably unlikely to read it before playing in many cases.
NOFUN:
Random Armageddon.thoughts: fuck dwarves, fuck magickers, fuck f-me's, fuck city elves and nerf everything I don't use
Maxid:
My position is unassailable.
Gunnerblaster:
My breeds discriminate against other breeds.

That's how hardcore I am.

Once I put in a request suggesting we update the Arm blurb on TMC.  I think the problem was some kind of technical difficulty?  If that's been solved, I'd be happy to write up a generic, IC-sekretless (and thus more likely to stand the test of time) blurb to replace the one that's talking about recently freed Tuluk...

I think Mansa's newbie guide should be featured somewhere prominently on the website.  Maybe down by the helper's link.  That thing was my holy book when I first started playing (after a helper helped me find it).
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I was actually referring to here in the 'Advertising for Players' forum. But yes, it would be great to see some stuff put up.

Since it doesn't pertain directly to the IC world, or any part of our site, I'd like to see it go on the forums here, instead of in the request tool. The most appropriate place I can think of for the thread would be Player Collaboration. Once there's been a pretty thorough list of things put up, I'll throw it together in a rewrite and post it on the other forums.
NOFUN:
Random Armageddon.thoughts: fuck dwarves, fuck magickers, fuck f-me's, fuck city elves and nerf everything I don't use
Maxid:
My position is unassailable.
Gunnerblaster:
My breeds discriminate against other breeds.

That's how hardcore I am.

Quote from: HailTheAbyss on October 08, 2010, 02:51:14 PM
Quote from: Adhira on October 08, 2010, 01:03:30 PM
There's also an official Application page on facebook where you can play the game via a facebook app.   http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=144472147042

It has it's own wall (on the about page) which people could use to promote RPTs etc (hint hint).

For some bizarre reason, when I try to use it it tells me that I am not logged into Facebook (?). I tried suggesting it to people, but even that did not work... Probably a bug or something.

I had the same experience.

You must be logged into Facebook to access ArmageddonMUD  You don't see an armageddon here
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!