Zalanthan "weekends"

Started by HailTheAbyss, October 05, 2010, 08:03:32 AM

One thing I noticed about some clan schedules, is that there seems to be a concept of being off at the weekends - Ocandra and Detal.

However, would this actually be something the general populace of the cities would be aware of? I would not think that in the harsh, slave-driving societies
of the world of Zalanthas there would be some consensus about days off - commoners would probably have to work dawn to dusk just to survive. In fact,
until indie PCs get some skillz, they also have to do this.

Would people in general think of these days as off days or days where they do less work? Or is this just a convention for those lucky enough to belong to an organization of some kind?

"Uhh, Amos, it's Detal, don't know if I can be fucked to go grebbin' when everyone's down the Gaj drinking themselves into a deep black hole..."

Detal is tavern day.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: HailTheAbyss on October 05, 2010, 08:03:32 AM
Would people in general think of these days as off days or days where they do less work? Or is this just a convention for those lucky enough to belong to an organization of some kind?

It aaalllllllllllll depends on your character's work ethic, and if he/she has the spare coin to go drink.

The concept of weekends probably only apply to some clans, rather than to the populace as a whole. For the clans that do have those days off, there's usually a reason for it.

Military clans (the ones with the hardass schedules) all seem to have slightly different days off, but for the most part they all have Detal off, it seems like. They might only have Detal off, or they might have another day off during the week, as well. It varies quite a bit.

I think the general populace might be generally aware that most military clans have Detal off. I don't know whether that would cause them to modify their own work habits one way or another, but I don't see any reason they couldn't. I actually think it's a little ridiculous to assume that Zalanthans all work dawn to dusk, every day, all the time--humanoids need more rest than that, and that idea isn't supported by evidence from any Earth culture I know of.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on October 05, 2010, 11:35:26 AM
Military clans (the ones with the hardass schedules) all seem to have slightly different days off, but for the most part they all have Detal off, it seems like. They might only have Detal off, or they might have another day off during the week, as well. It varies quite a bit.

I think the general populace might be generally aware that most military clans have Detal off. I don't know whether that would cause them to modify their own work habits one way or another, but I don't see any reason they couldn't. I actually think it's a little ridiculous to assume that Zalanthans all work dawn to dusk, every day, all the time--humanoids need more rest than that, and that idea isn't supported by evidence from any Earth culture I know of.

Past earth cultures, but those are illegal now.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Wiki weekends/weekday shows me that weekends are often defined by global culture (lacking on Zalanthas) or religion.  The idea of a weekend seems a bit anachronistic in our setting and likely more a player enjoyment tool so the characters have a bit of freedom.

Actually, Reiteration, there is a quite a selection of historical societies that took at least one day off in the week and one exemplary selection of faiths that require it too, not that people are necessarily good at following faith when it is not faith making societies rules... but that's a digression.  Judeo-Christian rules require one to honor the sabbath, doing no work on that day, that being the faith group with the rule, and there were many smatterings of medieval micro-cultures that had 'sixth-day' or the like, where children (at the least) were given a free day to do whatever they wanted.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

I'm pretty sure Reiteration was referring to slave cultures and particularly the slaves themselves, who in many cultures were simply worked to death without rest and then replaced.

Slaves and freemen/-women are two different animals.

AFAIK, if we're talking about the military clans of Zalanthas, enslaved soldiers would have the same time off as "free" soldiers (I say "free" because we're talking about lifesworn).

PCs don't play labor slaves and never have and never will, so that's a somewhat pointless angle for the discussion.

I think that the owners of slaves are most likely generally aware that you don't want to work a valuable tool to death by never giving it time off. Again, labor slaves are perhaps different, especially elves...they are so cheap as to be completely expendable.

Personally, I think that 'weekends' are a good idea, OOCly, for playability purposes. I also suspect that, ICly, weekends would not be that defined. However, as Gimf suggests, everybody needs rest. Even in our own American history, my ancestors were granted a day with less work. This may have been due to Christianity, and Sunday being a day of rest within the religion.

I'd simply suggest that the tradition developed, ICly, over time, sans religion. As organizations discovered that other organizations had these certain days off, it was incorporated into their own schedules, so that now, it is known as the weekend for no other reason more pertinent than it is the week's end.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I agree with everything 7DV said. Different clans really do already have different days off, generally with the exception of Detal. If you're playing in a clan with a strict schedule and your buddy is in a different clan with a strict schedule, and if both clans had completely different days off...that would just suck. It's really hard enough already, if you're a non-officer in one of these clans, to get time off to hang out with people who aren't in your clan or aren't in your part of the clan and thus have a different schedule. For this reason alone, I actually wish the IC nighttime was longer. I also wish there were common training facilities for military clans in a single city, or more-frequent joint training and operations. As well as PC leaders who understand how grueling the schedule can be, and how to effectively flex it for minions.

There is a tool available in both Tuluk and Allanak for people of different military clans to train together.

Quote from: Marshmellow on October 05, 2010, 02:00:39 PM
There is a tool available in both Tuluk and Allanak for people of different military clans to train together.

Neither of those things are very widely available. And they shouldn't be, the way they are set up. What I mean is that I wish there was a place where military grunts could train together, not officer/templar/noble material. I think it's a little looser how that can happen in Tuluk, but in both places it's not widely available to the grunts.

And with officers/templars/nobles...those people have control over their own schedules. They're not the ones who are whimpering, OOCly, at the thought of yet another day of training with just them and Amos for amusement.

The above might be taken as me bitching about military clans. But, honestly, they are probably my favorite type of Zalanthan clan. I just have a lot of sympathy for the grunts within them, because I have BTDT.

Quote from: Marshmellow on October 05, 2010, 02:00:39 PM

Sure, but it's rare that the higher-ups give the support and permission to the rank-and-file grunts to make use of them.  If a few clans had a standing policy of, say, every Nekrete and Dzeda sending their people to (public location) to train rather than locked in their own compound, it would give the rank-and-file players a great opportunity to interact with people outside of their clan.  It would be especially beneficial for the people in small, struggling clans who can't get their population up because they're so small that their employees never see anyone and get bored and die.

Yeah, I agree with the original post, and most of the replies.

I think that a weekend ought to be established, and it wouldn't be that tough to do.  Either two or three days, something like that. 

For what I see, the most direct solution would be for a templar in Allanak to announce that Highlord Tektolnes had ordained Detal and like the day before/after as days for religious observance (i.e. weekends). 

Tuluk could choose slightly different days just to make the point that they hate Allanak.
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

I think that those superiors should use those resources more.