Dyeing and painting

Started by Drayab, July 13, 2003, 06:09:46 AM

Does painting fall under the catagory of dyeing?

For example, if I can carve a nice (plain) juggling ball, do I need the dyeing skill in order to paint it red? I see those paints are somewhat expensive...

I just noticed that you got no response to this...have you tried just RPing through painting and then wishing up?  I'd guess that if you just want to paint them a solid color that it wouldn't be too difficult that it wouldn't be allowed.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

As far as I know there is no painting skill. And paints, canvases, and such are pretty much useless codewise. But if you wanted to paint a picture emotatiscly, you would need a set of paints.

As for coloring craft items. CERTAIN crafts require you use the dye in the craft.

I.e. in the dyeing helpfile it says something like.
craft dye feather into a yellow feather
or
craft dye linen into a length of blue linen

And all items arn't dyeable either.
But if you are set on painting something. Like maybe your a crazy tembo worshiper and want to do dye your sword red in the fresh blood of your first tembo kill, you might emote out the process of bathing the sword, etc, then wish up to have:
a bone longsword
changed to:
a blood-red bone longsword

Most MUD codebases have a 'remake' system, that allows items to have their sdesc, ldesc, or keywords altered. Im sure DIKU has something like this, its just a matter of having them think it worth it. Otherwise people would be coloring things all the time. (Well not all the time, but from hardly ever, to a good deal.)

Oh, yes, and I'd emote and think it out in game quite a bit before wishing up.  I know of an instance where someone made himself a drum, and before even making the wish, the item was ready for him.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

When asking to craft an item that needs to be specially made for you, the best thing to do is use the template for submitting items through the web site (http://www.zalanthas.org/ArmDocs/Community/format.html).  You then need to ICly purchase or forage your materials, RP out the the entire creation and email in the log of the whole thing.  Even then, its not guaranteed, but usually if its reasonable someone will load it up for you.