Bleeding? But it was a club to the thigh!

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, September 21, 2010, 11:29:02 PM

September 21, 2010, 11:29:02 PM Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 12:26:34 AM by The7DeadlyVenomz
When somebody is injured, according to the percentage of health lost, a message is automatically appended to their long description, which is the one seen when you look in a room. The current messages are subjective, and I feel as though they need to be broadened and generalized, to encompass a whole range of injury and hurt, from gaping wounds to simple poisons.

Bleeding lightly to minorly injured.

Bleeding heavily to injured .

Bleeding profusely to severely injured.

Near death would remain near death.

Mortally wounded to dying.

This would be changed in the long desc, so that instead of seeing:

The grey-faced man stands here, bleeding heavily.

- you would see:

The grey-faced man stands here, injured.

Edited to add a re-message for 'mortally wounded'.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Additionally, I think it'd be cool if certain forms of injury (such as poison and possible consequences of magick and certain spells) left no visible injury.

I like the idea. Experienced players, for the most part, already ignore the 'bleeding' messages, and instead wait for a cue from the PC so they can start RPing their reactions to the injury. Others prompt with questions, "Hey, fella, you ain't lookin' so good. What's wrong?" Since we all kind of ignore it anyway, I think it'd be nice to make it more indistinct, to avoid confusing newbies.

Also, to avoid this inevitable and irritating scene:
QuoteJumping up from his seat and straight into a conclusion, the clueless guy says to you, in sirihish:
"Hey! Get out of here! You're bleeding all over the barstools!"

Voice weak and feeble, you say to the clueless guy, in sirihish:
"Please... so hungry..."
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

+1
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Why not replace it with "<sdesc> is in <blank> condition."?  That seems simple enough.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I agree regarding bludgeoning weapons/unarmed damage. I would like for bleeding to displayed for slashing, piercing and chopping damage  though.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Lawl, I still find it amusing that sparring weapons get so bloody.

If someone is poisoned/codedly ill, it could be:

bleeding lightly = "looking weak and wan."
bleeding heavily = "appearing ill."
bleeding profusely = "appearing very ill."
near death = "near death"
mortally wounded = "dying"

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I don't think Arm supports the ability to show different messages depending on the type of damage, and even if it did, what happens when you're hurt from equal parts clubbing and getting diced?

It might make for a nice addition in Arm 2, if individual wounds are shown.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I agree with OP.  I also think it might be possible to have a few different types of messages for the injuries by pulling out specific conditions in the "stat" bar, such as poison and dehydration.  I don't think it should be too hard to code different messages for those affected by poison, dehydration, or hunger since their appearance is much different than traumatic injuries.  Of course, the code could have trouble deciding which message to display if a victim was suffering from multiple afflictions and trauma, but I still think this idea might be worth looking into.

Quote from: Mendel on September 22, 2010, 10:18:48 AM

I don't really see anything that leads me to believe that Zalanthan sparring is non-brutal and non-potentially-deadly. Those of us who've played long-lived combat PCs in charge of training other combat PCs have probably all nearly killed a newb or three doing it (if we're lucky--if we're not lucky, we actually HAVE killed a newb). If you get injured in sparring, you are injured. (And I, personally, would love to see PCs not just fucking shrugging it off when they get badly hurt in sparring. Roleplay the pain, bitches!) Zalanthans chop mothafuckaz up with bone sparring swords, after all. This is not modern fencing or play-kwan-do at your daddy's dojo!

Back to the original point, I would love to see a more extensive/informative injury/wound system, but I don't think we're gonna get it for 1.ARM. I'm OK with just roleplaying around it for now.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 22, 2010, 12:03:46 PM
Quote from: Mendel on September 22, 2010, 10:18:48 AM

I don't really see anything that leads me to believe that Zalanthan sparring is non-brutal and non-potentially-deadly. Those of us who've played long-lived combat PCs in charge of training other combat PCs have probably all nearly killed a newb or three doing it (if we're lucky--if we're not lucky, we actually HAVE killed a newb). If you get injured in sparring, you are injured. (And I, personally, would love to see PCs not just fucking shrugging it off when they get badly hurt in sparring. Roleplay the pain, bitches!) Zalanthans chop mothafuckaz up with bone sparring swords, after all. This is not modern fencing or play-kwan-do at your daddy's dojo!

Back to the original point, I would love to see a more extensive/informative injury/wound system, but I don't think we're gonna get it for 1.ARM. I'm OK with just roleplaying around it for now.

We weren't talking about brutality; he simply mentioned that it's silly that a single solid blow with a blunted sparring weapon will cover it with blood (as it would any weapon). Weapons get blooded regularly even when you have PCs that carefully avoid going below "moderate" while sparring.

As for reduced brutality, perhaps the fact that what would have been a 30 damage blow only did 10 damage with the sparring weapon (made up figures) should be evidence enough.

I think the fact that you did 10 damage is enough to get something bloodied, actually.  Just because it's a training weapon doesn't mean you couldn't get a bloody nose, or in the case of weapons that should be sharp, small cuts.  There could be degrees of bloody, but I think that's asking too much.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

I think the sparring injury line is a difficult line to balance on. I'm willing to give people a lot of leeway on either side of it.

Just to clarify: I didn't mean "sparring injury" in terms of "you took 10 hp damage during a fistfight," I meant the sort of situation where you got badly hurt enough to codedly need to sleep it off.

And when a weapon is "bloodied" I don't think that necessarily means it's "covered in blood." It's just got some blood on it. The quantity probably varies.

That being said, for sparring in general I really appreciate it when players roleplay their PCs getting tired, out of breath, feeling the pain, and the other physical signs of exertion. Sparring should be hard.

Also, emote.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 22, 2010, 01:00:21 PM
Just to clarify: I didn't mean "sparring injury" in terms of "you took 10 hp damage during a fistfight," I meant the sort of situation where you got badly hurt enough to codedly need to sleep it off.

And when a weapon is "bloodied" I don't think that necessarily means it's "covered in blood." It's just got some blood on it. The quantity probably varies.

That being said, for sparring in general I really appreciate it when players roleplay their PCs getting tired, out of breath, feeling the pain, and the other physical signs of exertion. Sparring should be hard.

Also, emote.

I think the point is there is no grey area between "semi-solid hit to the mul's wrist with sparring sword" and "one-shot decapitation of a bahamet" when it comes to whether or not your weapon gets bloodied. It's the same as the bleeding messages: there's a bit of silliness that results from the lack of descriptive variation, even if ultimately everyone understands not to take the descriptions at face value.

I realize really nasty one-shots will often also bloody other people in the room with splatter, but that's beyond the point. :)

Soviet Russia votes yes.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Quote from: jhunter on September 22, 2010, 02:17:45 AM
I agree regarding bludgeoning weapons/unarmed damage.

You don't think a hammer to the face would cause bleeding?

But, I agree, it is stupid if you bleed when you're starving. I didn't even know it was the case.

How about when you bloody your weapon off a training dummy, which leaks sand. I always find that humorous and nonsensical.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on September 22, 2010, 02:12:58 PM
How about when you bloody your weapon off a training dummy, which leaks sand. I always find that humorous and nonsensical.

Unless you're playing a half-giant, I don't think you can hit a sparring dummy hard enough to actually cause your weapon to get bloodied.

Folks, the original topic has been completely derailed.  The OP wasn't talking about bloodied clubs or sparring weapons, he was talking about changing the message the 'sdesc' reflection of injuries.  Please get back on track.

Oh, yes, on topic:  I don't care either way, really.  The only benefit to changing the descriptors to something more injury-type neutral is that newbies will assume bleeding, whereas the rest of us know better.  If it's a simple fix, couldn't hurt.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

I would prefer the 'injured' messages instead of 'bleeding'.

It's more generic and easier to roleplay around.

Bleeding profusely is taken as, "spraying blood all over the damn place".
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Yes, I would love it if injured auto-sdescs were changed to a more neutral descriptor.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I really like the idea of the descriptors being changed to more injury-neutral ones.

On bleeding--Once upon a time I watched a girl get into a fight with another girl.  She jumped the girl from behind and hit her in the back of the head (with a bare fist, as an untrained, pre-teen girl) and then us bystanders freaked out a minute or two later because she was bleeding down her back.  What happened?   The first girl hit the cheap plastic sizing buckle on the back of the girl's baseball hat and it cut her scalp.  Scalp wounds bleed like crazy.  So whenever I think of someone bleeding or the weapon is bloody because they've just been slammed with a club, or a blunted axe or sword, I think about the bone buckles or the edges of the armor digging into the skin and causing pressure cuts.  I know this isn't the most elegant solution, but it helps not to break my immerzions.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Read:  I fucking way hard agree with this.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.