Emotes

Started by Cuusardo, July 12, 2003, 09:47:56 PM

Lately I've noticed that either some people are being lazy and not using the proper syntax for emotes, or they just don't know them.  I'm not trying to be bitchy about it or anything, but it is a little annoying to have an emote directed at me, and instead of seeing "you" I see "her".

Example: Shaking her hand, the plaid-clad man says to you, 'Nice to meet you, ma'am."  Okay, does that mean he's shaking my hand, or someone else's while he's talking to me?  If I didn't know better, I might get confused.

Please people, read the emote and emote_examples help files!!!
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Some of us just mess up sometimes.

But if the person's emote was directed to YOUR character, then you wouldn't ever see "her" in the resulting emote. You might see "shaking your hand" or"shaking you's hand" or shaking "you" hand.

It's my guess someone isn't using the syntax at all, and is instead typing
tell cuusardo (shaking her hand) Nice to meet you.

Either that, or they're not using your name and are using part of your sdesc instead, and that part is shared by someone else in the room.

My suggestion - and I can't stress it enough, is once you learn a person's name, USE IT WHEN YOU EMOTE!

Once you know their name, there's no reason to ever have to use "short" or "thin" or "wiry" or "black" to target someone in an emote.

Ah yes, the name thing!  I've had problems with people emoting things or using tells at my character because they were using the same keyword that someone else has in their sdesc.  Talk about confusing!  Names are a good thing to use when emoting at or talking to someone!
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Due to my slow, and occasionally inaccurate typing, I will use a word from their sdesc rather than the name.  Especially if the situation is intense and requires a somewhat speedy response on my part, or if their name is long and one of those words happens to be shorter.

Luckily, I still try to make sure that I -do- target the right person at least and thus far I've been successful.

I'm lazy.  Sorry.

Quote from: "Cuusardo"Please people, read the emote and emote_examples help files!!!
There is also a handy emote emulator. The only bug in it is that at the start of an emote that doesn't have your sdesc at the beginning, you are able to target someone else which you can't do with the code.

Raes:  any idea where the emulator went?  

Some of the links on http://www.zalanthas.org/ArmDocs/ are dead - was trying to point someone there.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I'll also suggest that some players are coming from a non-RPI or sub-Armageddon MUD, where these odd instances are commonplace therein. We might just ignore them for a bit and hope they catch on. We can also likely OOC, if we are alone with that player, something along the lines of 'See help Emote, if you have not done so already."
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I've actually taken aside a newb a time or two, into a more 'private' setting and urged them to read the emote helpfile and toy around with it as we interact. The emulator is a beautiful substitute for this.

I'm fairly certain it's out there somewhere. It hasn't been that long since I asked for the link, as well.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...