Tell me what craft I'm using please

Started by creepyguy, September 11, 2010, 02:24:20 AM

Quote from: Thunkkin on July 27, 2010, 05:08:27 PM
I wish there was a different sorting method to the results of "craft x"......Dream Results:

> craft longishly-short.bone.ridge

You find that you can craft a longishly-short bone ridge into:
Arrow Making 1: A single, longish bone arrowshaft (novice)
Arrow Making 2: A couple of longish bone arrowshafts (apprentice)
Club Making 1: A longish, very thin club but hey be glad because how many other club recipes are there? (journeyman)
Instrument Making 1. A longish, but not too long, bone flute (journeyman)
Instrument Making 2. A longish, but not too long, carved bone flute (advanced)
Jewelry Making:  A lovely, longish bone earring (journeyman)
........and so on

I trimmed that alot, but my idea I had yesterday came from that sometimes I don't know what crafting skill I'm using for some crafts, so just showing or even descriptively indicating what skill is used for a craft that is available. The skill/difficulty level is a nice touch, but i'd be satisfied with just the first part too.
Rorschach: "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with *ME*!"

Vaguely seconded.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Oh heck yes. And part of my heck yes is for "twinkish" reasons, which I really don't consider twinkish at all.

If I know that papier mache branches from book-making..
and I have book-making and bindery skills...
and I really want to branch papier mache...

and I type craft mulch mulch glue
and get
you can make a pamphlet with that

and I do that, and I never branch papier mache...

and it turns out that pamphlets are made with the bindery skills, NOT bookmaking..
and I have absolutely no use for 300 pamphlets, I just simply wanted to branch papier mache, and knew I had to do bookmaking stuff in order to branch it...and I spent the last 2 RL months trying to do exactly that and it turns out I wasn't even using the right skill...

well suffice it to say, that kind of thing has happened to me, I wasted a couple of RL months trying to branch something from a skill by making some things that turned out to be made with a different skill I had. I didn't WANT those things. I wanted to branch. I should've been working on a whole different thing, but didn't know that the things I was working on weren't that.

I'd like for analyze to work the same way:

analyze shirt
you think you can make that from a length of cloth and a strip of leather (clothworking, leathercraft)

where the things in parenthases tell me which skills I need, in order to combine the ingredients to create the end product.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I guess it would help in order to differentiate between which item is a tool and which a weapon. But overall, I'd say it's a pretty minor thing. Dont mean to sound like an ass, but it's hard not to clue-in about things like that for a few months.

Quote from: Dar on September 11, 2010, 04:17:31 PM
I guess it would help in order to differentiate between which item is a tool and which a weapon.

Either way, wailing on shit with a shovel is still pretty fun.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 12, 2010, 04:10:07 AM
Quote from: Dar on September 11, 2010, 04:17:31 PM
I guess it would help in order to differentiate between which item is a tool and which a weapon.

Either way, wailing on shit with a shovel is still pretty fun.

Zombie Fighting 101:

The tool-shed is a ready source of makeshift weapons. Remember folks, the shovel is not designed to be used as a weapon, so swing hard.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens