Meat Puppets - Staff Controlling NPCs

Started by Scarecrow, August 27, 2010, 03:44:01 AM

I really like it when the staff jump into the game, possessing monsters and npcs to rp and stuff alongside you. Although this has only once occured to one my characters, it was both entertaining and memorable, and also a pleasant suprise. Without going into anything too IC (and also only after a year has passed and such) has anyone else had some interesting and memorable staff controlled npc encounters?
I would also like to take this chance to say I really like these encounters, and hope for more, and encourage more.  :)
Though I know the staff must be busy with other stuff, I think it's a cool aspect of the game that can happen.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Staff once animated a baby braxat and subdued my char.

That was pretty cool.

I have...

My mounts animated to respond when Staff see me talking to them.

Been in animated conversations with popular bartenders.

Been sneered at by animated Templars.

Been harassed by animated Soldiers.

Been Way-Responded to by NPC's when accidentally contacting such (sometimes).

Overall, I love it. Each. And. Every. Time.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

When I played a templar, I was almost killed on a mission. My half-giant guard was animated, and apparently, they were very unhappy.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

A guard was once animated with my first PC, he was arrested and being dragged off, I was still a newb so I made my pc shout "Raaape!" and the guard said something creepy like "not yet". Then s/he animated a guard who was standing outside the cell and the staff allowed my pc to sweet-talk his way out of prison by guessing the guards name. (Even though I'm pretty sure I guessed it wrong.)

That really got me hooked :)

Quote from: Barzalene on August 27, 2010, 07:31:34 AM
When I played a templar, I was almost killed on a mission. My half-giant guard was animated, and apparently, they were very unhappy.

We were having a bit too much fun fighting our way back out of gith country...

A human soldier of Tektolnes asks, something like, in sirihish,
   "Lady Templar, I bet there's a whole lot more of them coming?"
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

One of my most memorable was with a longer lived pc who used to talk to his kank alot. On several occasions staffers animated that kank and really helped to give his beloved mount some personality. Other than that, it's always great when staffers have the time to dive into npcs and really help the world come to life. I can't always remember every situation but it's always more than welcome, even if it impacts my pc negatively.  8)
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

My best one was my big bad Byn dwarf sarge, winner of the Luirsfest pit fights and more being chased around Luirs by tiny little spiders.

Yes, he had arachnophobia.

The best part about that deal was, He was sitting and eating and a tiny black spider came and sat down beside him.

I really wish there was curds and whey in arm.

The second best is in my sig.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I once had a staffer animate a kankfly that tried to kill my character. And another time they animated an apartment clerk NPC who talked a lot, and her guard.

I've gone to <self-censored> with a few different characters, and each time I was greeted with immortal interaction that sent chills down my spine and left my giddy with excitement.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Three years ago, a character who I can not mention yet did something wrong. He lost something because of it, and came to despise an opposing organization from the very bottom of his heart. This event, in fact, helped shape him in many, many ways.

The animations for this scene were so awesomely done that I still get angry about it now. Following encounters often netted more oohs and ahhs. Staff can really do some  good, dirty work, and I love them for it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I've had more low-level/idle animation interaction than uber-NPC interaction.  Those times really made my day.

Without revealing any IC information, I got to command an animated NPC around.  It was interesting.  :o
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Once someone jumped into my VPC sparring partner.  That was amazingly cool.

One of my favorite NPC intersations was a subordinate family member to one of my GMH agents.

She was really good at causing trouble when things were going a little too smoothly.  I seem to remember her being Thistle's, but I could be wrong.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Once upon a time, I had a character standing next to a body she'd come across in a prominent bazaar.  She was contemplating stripping it, and agonizing over the possibility of someone thinking she'd killed it, while hemoting edging closer to it and hemoting looking to see if the nearby NPC guard was watching her or interested in the body at all.

Then the guard looked at her, and she decided better of it.

Those are the kinds of little details I really enjoy.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

This is one of my fondest memories from a Seik pc of mine three years ago:

Angrily, you exclaim, in sirihish:
     "Can't take me down, chittering beast! This is for the people who died in Luir's!"

A glossy, black-shelled mantis lets out a screech.

You exclaim, in sirihish:
     "Run, insect, before I crush you!"

Rearing up, a glossy, black-shelled mantis comes down with all four arms.

*A fair deal of fighting goes down, the Seik doing somewhat better than the mantis*

You wound a glossy, black-shelled mantis on his head with your bludgeon.
A glossy, black-shelled mantis reels from the blow.
You land a solid slash to a glossy, black-shelled mantis's abdomen.

A glossy, black-shelled mantis staggers back.

You smash your obsidian-headed polished-bone mace at a glossy, black-shelled mantis' jaw, crushing chitin.

One mandible half-broken, a glossy, black-shelled mantis lets out a hissing, pained screech.

Your stomach roils with nerves.

A glossy, black-shelled mantis exclaims, in an unfamiliar tongue:
     "taa yipw moix va xwovct!"

A glossy, black-shelled mantis slams its third arm through, uselessly pawing at your armor.

You leap at a glossy, black-shelled mantis, kicking hard.

You spin around, regaining your stance and balance.

A glossy, black-shelled mantis is in terrible condition.
A glossy, black-shelled mantis looks a little weary.

Threateningly, you say, in sirihish:
     "Run, insect.. you're quick I know it. Hide in the sands before I crush you down into it like the bug you are."

Screeching all the way, a glossy, black-shelled mantis attempts to flee.
A glossy, black-shelled mantis runs west.

A glossy, black-shelled mantis has arrived from the west.

You shout in sirihish:
     "Run!"

A glossy, black-shelled mantis runs east.

It really made my day back when it happened, and it's definitely one of my favorite solo-playing events/NPC animations that I can talk about.

I remember a staff member walking in controling a Naki Noble house family member in the middle of a "language lesson". heh
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"

Once had a staffer animate a certain set of tentacles when a certain set of people were doing something in a certain place with a cesspit.

I remember one Borsail aide screeching that my character was a mindbender after a certain Fale-Borsail weddiing...

;D
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: MeTekillot on August 29, 2010, 08:33:30 PM
Once had a staffer animate a certain set of tentacles when a certain set of people were doing something in a certain place with a cesspit.
Who hasn't?

Wish all Sure is a nice, peaceful day scooping "something, somewhere"... Anyone interested in fixing that for me?
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on August 30, 2010, 05:04:27 AM
Quote from: MeTekillot on August 29, 2010, 08:33:30 PM
Who hasn't?

Wish all Sure is a nice, peaceful day scooping "something, somewhere"... Anyone interested in fixing that for me?

I've heard of that -several- times, but I ALWAYS showed up mere moments after the fact. >~<

An animated inix nommed a PC of mine's silk cloak once, leaving it forever 'tattered'. She wore it that way anyhow 'til literally the day she died.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

It seems like every time I Way an NPC of a non-playable race (which isn't often) the staff immediately make some kind of response.  That's pretty cool.