PMS?

Started by GloriousSalarri, August 12, 2010, 02:20:33 AM

Do women in Zalanthas PMS... if so I've never seen a nice char be pissy because of stomach cramps..
the heavy-browed, big-elbowed dwarf says in sirihish, glancing back at his ruined argosy, then back at you
"Ahm na' happy"

you say in sirihish, puzzledly
"then which one are you?"

I have two, but 0 are new.

lol
the heavy-browed, big-elbowed dwarf says in sirihish, glancing back at his ruined argosy, then back at you
"Ahm na' happy"

Quote from: Samira on August 12, 2010, 02:38:12 AM

Hah! Good one.

As far as the OP, I'd imagine Zalanthan women go through a menstrual cycle.

But in a world where an orgasm is reached -every time- during mudsex, and nobody notices the horrible crotch-odors from years of never bathing, most people just don't wanna play it out.

I'd throw some big kudos to any women IG who goes through this though.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 12, 2010, 09:57:24 AM
Quote from: Samira on August 12, 2010, 02:38:12 AM

Hah! Good one.

As far as the OP, I'd imagine Zalanthan women go through a menstrual cycle.

But in a world where an orgasm is reached -every time- during mudsex, and nobody notices the horrible crotch-odors from years of never bathing, most people just don't wanna play it out.

I'd throw some big kudos to any women IG who goes through this though.

Except for one that I stored shortly after she became pregnant, all of my characters have been sterile, having no eggs, with ovaries that have ceased to function, and therefore they don't get periods. Or get pregnant. Or have any particular interest in sex, due to lack of hormonal fluctuation. It's a trend I'll continue indefinitely.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: GloriousSalarri on August 12, 2010, 02:20:33 AM
Do women in Zalanthas PMS... if so I've never seen a nice char be pissy because of stomach cramps..

It's not actually all that much worse than the pain from being ripped to ribbons by a gortok, so...

Any case, I've found roleplaying such things to be more trouble than their worth - I tried a little - but, ah. Given Zalanthan women being, typically, stronger of constitution and more prone to exercise than I might be, with decent access to relatively cheap birth control, and so many days spent offline, it's easy to come up with an excuse not to be particularly effected by it.

That, and if my char's being pissy she's probably not going to be admitting exactly what it's from.  :D

I always RP a little more bitchy and emotional ever few IG weeks. Do I RP cramps and things like that? No. I prefer to take it out on men IG as I do RL ;)
Czar of City Elves.

Why do you ask?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on August 12, 2010, 02:46:20 PM

Why do you ask?

I think he actually encountered a woman IG who "does" play it out, or atleast ... he hopes it's that. :)

When it comes to the entire populace, virtual ladies included, I'd say "most likely, yes", just going off of the idea that they probably have a menstrual cycle.

When it comes to PCs, I can't say I've ever seen anyone play this out, or if I did then I didn't catch onto it. But I also think that it is really easy to avoid playing this out and no one's going to blame you either way.

I think I used it as an excuse for bitching on my Byner before. I didn't RP going to get cotton and stuffing it in places though. Or even folding my scrap of cloth and putting it down there. Some people don't really care to see that sort of thing. For other people people, they might find the RP entertaining. Either way, it's not something I'd like to roleplay about with other players.
Quote from: Return of the King (1980)
It's so easy not to try,
Let the world go drifting by--
If you never say, "Hello,"
You won't have to say, "Good Bye."

Female characters in Zalanthas experience PMS, but only while their players are offline. CASE CLOSED.

jstorrie, that's ridiculous.

However, consider this... in a real life year, a woman will menstruate 12 times.  Since maturity in the real world is paralleled in game, that's 12 times in an IG year, which is roughly 6 weeks in RL time.  That's twice a week.  Does anyone, seriously, want to try playing that out realistically?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: jstorrie on August 12, 2010, 05:54:13 PM
Female characters in Zalanthas experience PMS, but only while their players are offline. CASE CLOSED.

I'll drink to that.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Dar on August 12, 2010, 04:08:18 PM
Quote from: LauraMars on August 12, 2010, 02:46:20 PM

Why do you ask?

I think he actually encountered a woman IG who "does" play it out, or atleast ... he hopes it's that. :)

You hit the nail on the head! Lmao jk, just heard about it in game the other day and was curious is all..
"Ahm na' happy"

I'm inclined to agree with the rest of you in that (for women with normally functioning anatomy) it exists, but I would never, ever call it that in game.  PMS, aside from being an abbreviation, is short for premenstrual syndrome (duh), which sounds a bit too modern medicine to carry over to the game:

"What do you reckon's her problem, Amos?"
"Feck if'n I be knowin'!  Mus' be premenstrual syndrome or somethin'."
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

This post got me thinking about Zalanthan sicknesses in general.  Other than the odd case of Scrub Fever or Krath's touch, I've never had a character afflicted with a Zalanthan illness.

I'm curious to know if others have had characters who have experienced any Zalanthan illnesses other than Scrub Fever or Krath's Touch?

tell amos (tossing a knowing wink ^amos way) I'm thinkin' th'red moon's caught up with'er.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: manipura on August 12, 2010, 10:54:50 PM
This post got me thinking about Zalanthan sicknesses in general.  Other than the odd case of Scrub Fever or Krath's touch, I've never had a character afflicted with a Zalanthan illness.

I'm curious to know if others have had characters who have experienced any Zalanthan illnesses other than Scrub Fever or Krath's Touch?

I've RPed having a cold or fever a few times when I had one in RL that was so bad that I could hardly think about anything other than coughing and blowing my nose.  It made it easy, since I'd cough/blow my nose in RL and then I'd just do it ICly and moan about how sick I was.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: manipura on August 12, 2010, 10:54:50 PM

I've seen raza raza. It was creepy.  :-\
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Heh.  I had a character almost kill that guy with raza raza.  My character was convinced he was a nilazi or corrupted by a nilazi.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

PMS affects all women differently.  Some women don't have noticeable symptoms at all.  Not all generally nice women RL turn into raging bitches for a few days a month.

I suspect the answer to 'why' is the same reason why I rarely see people RP out Zalanthan illnesses that you'd think most characters would get from time to time.  Either it doesn't occur to them, or they don't want to.  Or they do it behind the scenes, and then just talk about it when they get back.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

> say Say, are you PMS'ing today, or are you just happy to see me?
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

So, I started thinking more about this thread as I re-read some of the posts...

I'm not so sure that the majority of women in Zalanthas -would- be menstruating.  A woman's body does, after all, require a certain amount of nutrients and fat etc for menstruation.  When a woman's body percieves itself to be in any sort of starvation mode, one of the things it does is stop menstruating in order to hold on to as many calories and fat/nutrients as possible.  Unless the woman in question is a noble woman or affiliated with a House, then I would argue that most women in the Known World actually would not be menstruating...

I think a more interesting question would be, 'if female muls are sterile, do they still have menstrual cycles, and if so, do they get PMS, and if so, how much hazard pay do their handlers get?'
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!