Scales / Shop that allows you to weigh items..

Started by Dakota, August 10, 2010, 04:39:16 AM

August 10, 2010, 04:39:16 AM Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:56:39 AM by Anaiah
Not sure if this already exists but given that weight seems to be such an issue and as I've found, many classes don't have the value skill..

What are the chances that a merchant (tailor? someone who buys stones) could offer a service for a small amount of coin to weight items / containers filled with items / etc.

Trying to deduct what things weigh / how much you can carry that will push you over certain burdens has already exhausted way too many HOURS of playing time and this seems like it would be a relatively simple (and very helpful) thing to add.

Thoughts / Realistic possibility that this can happen?

Sort of odd it's not offered in some shops already (like if you buy something how come the merchant doesn't list how much it weighs or it doesn't give you an option to find out?)

Czar of City Elves.

I'd think a better solution would be giving excruciatingly low-capped value to every class....

I mean, really.

Who can't at least -try- to approximate the weight of stuff before buying it?

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 10, 2010, 04:46:23 AM
I'd think a better solution would be giving excruciatingly low-capped value to every class....

I mean, really.

Who can't at least -try- to approximate the weight of stuff before buying it?

Just make a scales at a shop. Charge a small fee to weigh stuff for those who don't have the skill..

bonus points / making sense points to add the friggin weight to the item when you look at it in a shop..

Since encumbrance is an issue in the game I think this is only fair / fitting.
Czar of City Elves.

This used to exist.  I'm not sure why it was removed from the game.  But yeah, it was pretty useful.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

There used to be one.

I assume staff had reason to remove it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: LauraMars on August 10, 2010, 11:14:50 AM
This used to exist.  I'm not sure why it was removed from the game.  But yeah, it was pretty useful.

Ugh. I was hoping to get a resp that was: "Their is one.. find out IG" or something.. Heh instead it's the opposite.

Doesn't make sense as this would be clearly useful / make sense (and a nice sid sink)
Czar of City Elves.

I think they existed in a room that got destroyed? Also ... isnt it better to have a friend merchant who can do it for you for a little fee?

You can tell the weight "approximately" just a little off bit off without the value skill. You only need value for some presice number crunching, when you're 'exactly' one stone away from the next encumbrance level and stuff. I think it warrants hiring a merchant to do some shopping help for you.

The scale in nak was removed LONG before the area got messed up.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Dar on August 12, 2010, 04:04:49 PM
I think they existed in a room that got destroyed? Also ... isnt it better to have a friend merchant who can do it for you for a little fee?

You can tell the weight "approximately" just a little off bit off without the value skill. You only need value for some presice number crunching, when you're 'exactly' one stone away from the next encumbrance level and stuff. I think it warrants hiring a merchant to do some shopping help for you.

1: This would be great if it wasn't so hard to find a merchant to do it for you.. Not to mention I think it would be a royal pain for the Merchant, no matter the RP, to be handed heaps of stuff to weigh again and again so -someone- IC would at least have a knowledge of what things weigh.

2: After testing Value with my no skill vs. someone experienced who has the skill.. I'm never only 1 stone off. More like 3-9 after a few tries. Also when you're trying to drop your encumbrance down to something that feels right and suddenly every stone counts, it'd be nice to get it right.

I just don't see why the shops wouldn't tell you what an item weighs when you view it or that scales would be that difficult to find / make as clearly they're going to exist in the world. Let alone a payable option to weigh things.
Czar of City Elves.

I think the best solution would be to bring back the compare command, and only have it check weight.

>compare feather stone

Your white feather is much lighter than your triangular piece of sandstone.

Low-capped value would be relatively worthless, if you ask me.

I do like the idea of a compare command, so long as it was generalized.  Within a percentage tolerance, as in when items are close in weight but still possibly not exact, it should say 'about the same weight' and otherwise should just tell which is heavier, perhaps with percentage-based descriptors.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on August 13, 2010, 09:53:21 PM
Low-capped value would be relatively worthless, if you ask me.

I do like the idea of a compare command, so long as it was generalized.  Within a percentage tolerance, as in when items are close in weight but still possibly not exact, it should say 'about the same weight' and otherwise should just tell which is heavier, perhaps with percentage-based descriptors.

Eh, low-capped value wouldn't be -entirely- useless.

I use value all the time, even without the skill, and the weights aren't -all that far- off.

Some way to use my non-skill when using "view" in a shop would make me a happy little snowflake.

Same here. Value an item 3-5 times and you can figure out the approximate weight, despite the inaccuracies.

If you can assess a living thing to determine that it is "more than twice your height" and "about the same weight" you should be able to compare two items against each other.

Quote from: Kankman on August 14, 2010, 12:56:49 AM
If you can assess a living thing to determine that it is "more than twice your height" and "about the same weight" you should be able to compare two items against each other.

You already can....

value item 1

This first item seems to weigh 54 stones

value item 2

This second item seems to weigh 22 stones.

There are subclasses that give the value skill as well.  Giving every character low-capped access to it essentially makes it less 'special' to the guild and subguilds that get it in the first place.

If you want to play a sneaky type who can estimate item weight, for instance, you could try playing a burglar/con artist.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

August 14, 2010, 10:17:06 AM #16 Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:22:48 AM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: Aaron Goulet on August 14, 2010, 10:05:42 AM
There are subclasses that give the value skill as well.  Giving every character low-capped access to it essentially makes it less 'special' to the guild and subguilds that get it in the first place.

If you want to play a sneaky type who can estimate item weight, for instance, you could try playing a burglar/con artist.

Value has many more uses than simply seeing how much something weighs.

And that's all I really want to do.

Not even accurately. Just a ballpark estimate....

I want to see if that breastplate will break my low-strength character's back before I drop a few hundred coins.

We can already guess at how much a container item can carry without the value skill.

Why not do the same for weight?

::Edit::

And please don't go on about looking at an item's desc and trying to somehow glean a weight off that....

I know I'm not the only one who's been unpleasantly surprised to find out that those unassuming bracers actually weighed 30 stones each.*

*Not an actual example, but you catch my drift.

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on August 14, 2010, 10:05:42 AM
There are subclasses that give the value skill as well.  Giving every character low-capped access to it essentially makes it less 'special' to the guild and subguilds that get it in the first place.

I'm not asking to discover the value of an object. I just want to be able to guesstimate how much the damn thing weighs.

If I can do this in real life without a hitch, why can't I do it in the game.

Separate the skill_value from judging the weight of an object, thereby making the latter something all pcs can do. Or, just return scales back to shops. Boom fixed.
The man wears his heavy war-saddle on his back, covering a tattoo

Crawling up on all fours, the man sits on a sturdy bed

The man sends you a telepathic message:
     "Alright, you got to tame a wild one today."

I'm still a strong supporter of having a merchant friend/burglar/con artist/whomever else with value friend. Employ them, get them to come with you shopping and they'll tell you an approximate weight.

And if you're in an iso clan/tribe and no one has the ability...?

Quote from: Kiara on August 15, 2010, 02:52:12 AM

Give me an example? What clan out there prevents you from having contacts/associates/random barflies (give coin, come with me, mini rp scene) and 'still' allows access to shops and such like?

Quote from: Dar on August 15, 2010, 02:55:00 AM

Give me an example? What clan out there prevents you from having contacts/associates/random barflies (give coin, come with me, mini rp scene) and 'still' allows access to shops and such like?

For a time I knew of a certain group that had no one readily available or around that had someone which could do something.

Besides, while I'd MUCH rather someone in-clan do it for little or no sid and RP it as I pass over about 30 different items of stuff...

...it just seems odd that their is no weight on the VIEW command... + it would be an easy sid sink / make sense kind of thing to have in a shop to weigh things separately -if- you couldn't find a merchant to actually do it for you.

It's not about eliminating class-class RP at all. I'd rather do it with someone else but given that for many players weight is an issue and this seems like a relatively simple thing that would be available to people in the world, I don't see why this isn't possible / a problem.

I'll still need a merchant for things and even weighing items now and then even if scales existed. I'm not always in the safety / confines of a town or in a place where scales would be readily available.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Dar on August 15, 2010, 02:55:00 AM

I shouldn't have to. Think of any xenophobic desert elf/human tribe and you've got your answer.

Not everyone lives in cities and has access to merchants.

Just sayin'.

Elves have access to "everything", provided they're not at war with everything. Only because it requires a little effort to procure help, doesnt mean its impossible. That's like saying that only because SR doesnt have anyone who can tan at the moment, they cant arrange to procure tanned hides.

Seriously. By the time you really begin to get picky about your gear to watch an extra stone here, an extra stone there. You probably have enough coin to go around. So coin sinks really wont work too much, if you prefer to spend an extra 100 coins, then become indebted to another pc. Oddly enough, this thread http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,39425.0.html comes to mind.

Quote from: Dar on August 15, 2010, 07:01:28 AM
Seriously. By the time you really begin to get picky about your gear to watch an extra stone here, an extra stone there. You probably have enough coin to go around/

1) Have you ever played an elf before? Every stone counts.

2) That's assuming you use coin.

3) That's why your logic fails - you're basing said logic on assumptions.