Weird talking bug.

Started by KankWhisperer, August 08, 2010, 03:57:31 AM

Just curious if maybe you know if my client is causing this or if anyone has a simple explanation before I write a bug.

talk (to ~amose.jr) Hi.

I get:

At your table, you say in sirihish, to the tall muscular human:
      "Hi."
You do not see 'at' here.

I'm curious about the "You do not see 'at' here" part.

Apologize if someone already made a thread with this.

Same here.  I thought it was when I used parenthesis only, but it seems to be happening both when I use talk and talk (insert clever emote here).  I've not had it happen with any other command that I have noticed yet.
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal and Pancakes.

Hmm hasn't happened to me yet, perhaps look into another client to test it? ???
the heavy-browed, big-elbowed dwarf says in sirihish, glancing back at his ruined argosy, then back at you
"Ahm na' happy"

you say in sirihish, puzzledly
"then which one are you?"

Dito. I've even had the 'you do not see 'at' here' appear twice in a row after awhile.

Using CMUD, by the way, and it hasn't happened today yet.

Happens at random for me, but it usually happens a good 5-8 times when it does. I use MUSHclient.

I noticed it happens ONLY in a certain spot though outside that spot it works fine
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

I had this happen in the Gaj, and I spent several minutes trying to figure out what I screwed up on my zmud client, and even closed it and relogged in only to have it still occur.  Later at a different table outside that room it didn't happen at all...so yeah, not sure whats going on with that.

Kinda freaked me out a little though. :D

Anyone else have an issue where they can't double-target in this specific place with the talk command as well?

I can't target Amos using "talk (things at ~amos.muscular) blah blah" but I can target amos using "muscular" OR "amos". If I try it using amos.muscular I get the "at" bug, only the talk doesn't go through.

If I do "talk (waving a hand) Blah blah" I might also get the "at" bug, except for instead it will say "You do not see 'waving' here" (but the talk does go through).

It's also been saying "You do not see '<insertwhateverhere>' here" twice lately.
Quote"A lover's spat." He said. "You know how it is. Boy meets girl, girl wants boy dead. An everyday story, really."

I too have experienced this in the Gaj. You do not see "at" here, you do not see "the" here, and such things as that.

P.S. I am just using the standard game client thingy, not Zmud or Mush or Cmud.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

I've got this "at" thing coming up regularly too and thought it was client side with zmud, guess not.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

It seems to only be happening in taverns.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I saw the Subject and thought this thread was about a Mantis.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Quote from: KankWhisperer on August 08, 2010, 03:57:31 AM
talk (to ~amose.jr) Hi.
      "Hi."

Can anybody suss out whether there's a connection to previous commands you've entered? Or that others in the room have entered?  (Please don't post identifiable sequences of dialog, obviously.)

I just typed "dialogue" and didn't know why it was being typoed. :P
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 08, 2010, 11:46:07 PM
talk (to ~amose.jr) Hi.
      "Hi."

Can anybody suss out whether there's a connection to previous commands you've entered? Or that others in the room have entered?  (Please don't post identifiable sequences of dialog, obviously.)

Not me.  The only common denominator I have been able to discern so far is that it happens in (so far) bars.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the brawl script/code?
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on August 08, 2010, 11:55:28 PM
talk (to ~amose.jr) Hi.
      "Hi."

Not me.  The only common denominator I have been able to discern so far is that it happens in (so far) bars.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the brawl script/code?

Have you tried it at non-bar tables with other people?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

talk (to ~amose.jr) Hi.
      "Hi."

talk (waving to ~amos) 'eya, bud.

At your table, you say in sirihish, waving to the tall, muscular man:
     "'eya, bud."
The tall, muscular man staggers backward as you backhand him across the face.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I laughed way more than I should have at that.

Quote from: chuci on August 08, 2010, 11:59:00 PM
I laughed way more than I should have at that.

You aren't the only one.  :D

I don't think the problem is specific to taverns.

It's almost like, when the command parser gets to the bottom of the loop, at which point it's probably supposed to clear out the structure with like

a.playerinput=standardinput;

but isn't assigning properly, leaving some crap in there from a previous loop.  But what the fuck do I know?
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 08, 2010, 11:57:44 PM
talk (to ~amose.jr) Hi.
      "Hi."

Have you tried it at non-bar tables with other people?

Last evening I tried it at a bar in a non-tavern location, and in Red's, and both worked fine.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on August 09, 2010, 11:33:41 AM
Last evening I tried it at a bar in a non-tavern location, and in Red's, and both worked fine.

Red's doesn't have the brawl code...  Was this 'other' location the same?

Just tried something I think might fix it, let me know if the Gaj still has issues after now.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Didn't notice any today.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I am pretty sure Red's does have the brawl code. I mean, unless they've changed it in the past month or so.

This issue seems to be gone for me, but when I mistarget something in a say, as in:

say (declaring loudly, with a sidelong glance at ~amso) It sure would be nice if somebody would buy me a drink!

I get two lines in return, as in:

You do not see 'amso' here.
You do not see 'amso' here.

This happens everywhere, as far as I can tell. I didn't bug it because I don't feel like it really is that important, but I thought I might post it here because it seems to be related to the previous bug.