Not So Random Wants related to Stamina (+ elf vs human pissing contest!)

Started by Drayab, August 04, 2010, 03:35:31 AM

I wish stamina regeneration was greater than zero while standing.

I could do so much with just a little greater than zero.

Can't a person stand or hide behind a bush while they catch their breath?

Quote from: Drayab on August 04, 2010, 03:35:31 AM

(Or riding, if the rider is very skilled.)

This would make human vs. elf ranger games so much more, well, possible.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 04, 2010, 10:00:08 AM
Quote from: Drayab on August 04, 2010, 03:35:31 AMI wish stamina regeneration was greater than zero while standing.
(Or riding, if the rider is very skilled.)

This would make human vs. elf ranger games so much more, well, possible.
Are you kidding me?  Sure, elves have their advantages, but the fact that the human has a mount with way more stamina than an elf has (and I promise you that this is true for nearly ALL mounts), meaning the human spends ZERO stamina moving along meaning s/he has all his/her stamina for combat skills while the elf has to conserve.

Human vs elf ranger is a strategy game with no clear winner.  Don't make it seem like d.elves are something twinky to play please.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on August 04, 2010, 01:35:38 PM
Don't make it seem like d.elves are something twinky to play please.

No, that's not what I meant.  Elves are fine, but they have some advantages over humans in sneaky stalking mode: if rested, they have a larger stamina pool to work on...and their opponent isn't going to win by stealing or killing their mount.

Regenerating stamina while hidden would make hiding a more attractive tactic across the board.  There are lots of ways that could play out.

QuoteDon't make it seem like d.elves are something twinky to play please.

They can be.  I'd say they can be more than several other races or classes, but less so than a couple others.  I have my...small irritations with things with d.elves that I reserve the right to think (but will not go on a rant about), but suffice to say...there is a reason why very few outside the tribe ever get to see much of the tribe's actual culture.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on August 04, 2010, 03:15:36 PM
QuoteDon't make it seem like d.elves are something twinky to play please.

They can be.  I'd say they can be more than several other races or classes, but less so than a couple others.  I have my...small irritations with things with d.elves that I reserve the right to think (but will not go on a rant about), but suffice to say...there is a reason why very few outside the tribe ever get to see much of the tribe's actual culture.

It's player by player, man.  Just like every other faction.

Player A can play a d-elf for 30 days and not branch.

Player B can play a d-elf for 5 days and branch thrice... and then go on to the Byn to do the same, or Kurac, or Winrothol, or f'ing everywhere.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I just wanted to express my agreement for this statement.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

My thought didn't have to do with any kind of d elf vs human ranger scenario. It's just that I've found human/half-elf rangers' wilderness stealth to be not particularly useful because the second you stop to rest, you're completely visible. It's a very risky position to put your character into. I wish human rangers could go out on foot and move through the wilderness unseen if they're willing to take it at a very slow pace.

August 04, 2010, 10:19:36 PM #8 Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:26:28 PM by Gunnerblaster
Quote from: Drayab on August 04, 2010, 10:08:51 PM
My thought didn't have to do with any kind of d elf vs human ranger scenario. It's just that I've found human/half-elf rangers' wilderness stealth to be not particularly useful because the second you stop to rest, you're completely visible. It's a very risky position to put your character into. I wish human rangers could go out on foot and move through the wilderness unseen if they're willing to take it at a very slow pace.
Perhaps they could change it to where you're able to hide while sitting. Just like scan - while sitting/resting, your ability to hide is greatly penalized but it isn't -impossible- to do. If someone attacks you while hidden/sitting, you're still stuck in a bad position. Anyone familiar with their surroundings, be it the desert or city slums, would be able to easily pick out someone who was attempting to hide while sitting but if you lack those necessary detection skills, you simply aren't observant enough to notice that person attempting to hide, crouched, within the group of gamblers or that hunter hiding within some scrub grass over yonder.

Examples of hiding while standing/sitting - Everything is completely hypothetical.

Standing
>stand
>hide
>You begin searching for a place to hide.
You wait 5-10 seconds, depending on your skill.
>You attempt to blend in.

Sitting
>sit
>hide
>You begin searching for a place to hide.
You wait the usual time PLUS an additional penalty time for hiding in a prone position.
>You attempt to blend in.

There are obvious pro's & con's to this. The benefits are obvious - You are able to gain a small measure of stamina back while attempting to keep yourself concealed from your average Amos riding past. Disadvantages are there to easily counter the benefits: You're a sitting target for anyone who -CAN- see you.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on August 04, 2010, 10:19:36 PM
WORDS

But I would take into consideration that one can generally be more silent/less visible in a prone/sitting position rather than leaning with his/her back to a tree.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Drayab on August 04, 2010, 10:08:51 PM

You can still hide from NPCs while your mount rests.  You can even sneak by them with your mount in tow, since 99.9% of NPCs won't attack mounts.  Since you only have to make it four rooms to get by any aggro NPC, 100+ stamina is plenty, for even the most heinously stamina-draining of terrains.  You can get attacked by a roboraptor, run your mount until it's -dead-, rest it, hide, then basically go AFK if you want (and you're confident in your skill level), because even when the raptor catches up with you, it will just hunt in place, unable to find you.  I mean, what's not to like about that?  It's one nice advantage human rangers have over d-elves.

If you could regenerate stamina while hiding, it would basically be giving every desert-elf, ranger, assassin, pickpocket, and burglar in the world the equivalent of an invisibility spell.  Having to go visible to recover stamina points is a huge factor in the PvP game, and that's exactly why so many people are clamoring, and have been clamoring so long for the ability to recover while hiding.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

The ability to quit out while sleeping.

Perhaps if it was made where this was possible if you had 3/4 stamina?

Hmmm...
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote from: LauraMars on August 04, 2010, 09:02:54 PM

Same. Even if you gained half as much stamina, half as quickly, and couldn't regain over 50% stamina without sitting/resting.

Quote from: Rhyden on August 04, 2010, 11:29:27 PM
Quote from: LauraMars on August 04, 2010, 09:02:54 PM

Same. Even if you gained half as much stamina, half as quickly, and couldn't regain over 50% stamina without sitting/resting.

I'm...undecided.  I'm not so sure I want people without scan to be even -more- worthless in the desert without a ranger.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Synthesis on August 04, 2010, 10:36:52 PM
You can still hide from NPCs while your mount rests.  You can even sneak by them with your mount in tow, since 99.9% of NPCs won't attack mounts.  Since you only have to make it four rooms to get by any aggro NPC, 100+ stamina is plenty, for even the most heinously stamina-draining of terrains.  You can get attacked by a roboraptor, run your mount until it's -dead-, rest it, hide, then basically go AFK if you want (and you're confident in your skill level), because even when the raptor catches up with you, it will just hunt in place, unable to find you.  I mean, what's not to like about that?  It's one nice advantage human rangers have over d-elves.

If you could regenerate stamina while hiding, it would basically be giving every desert-elf, ranger, assassin, pickpocket, and burglar in the world the equivalent of an invisibility spell.  Having to go visible to recover stamina points is a huge factor in the PvP game, and that's exactly why so many people are clamoring, and have been clamoring so long for the ability to recover while hiding.

Well, burglars and assassins get to use their 'invisibility spell' without having to worry about catching their breath. D elves get to use their spell, too, because stamina isn't as much of a concern for them for widely known reasons, but human rangers have theirs crippled because wilderness rooms take stamina to move. Even if you hide in the shade trees for a whole week, you'd still be panting. As you pointed out, human rangers have to resort to using their stealth situationally, usually in tandem with a mount, but this requires knowing the little quirks of the code like the NPCs not attacking mounts.

Also, I never had PvP in mind when I had this thought. There are in fact things to do out there that are hindered by having a mount along, and they don't all involve PvP.

Besides, since when was PvP balance a primary concern here? You seem to be concerned that giving humans a small standing stamina regen would change the PvP balance of d elf versus human ranger battles, am I right? First of all, they would both be getting the same new little perk, though admittedly the human would benefit more from it. Nevertheless, I humbly submit that even with a small standing stamina regen, the best tactical choice for human rangers is still going to be mounted combat if they expect to run into d elves. In the one on one, on foot and otherwise equal match up, the d elf would still have the advantage because he is much more mobile due to his large stamina pool and his inherent quickness. What d elves wouldn't be able to do any more is see a resting inix off in the distance and OOCly know that there is probably a helpless round ear nearby.

My point was more along the lines of the fact that it would make tracking down and catching a d-elf (or human ranger) when you don't have the scan skill impossible, since they could simply hide and recover their stamina.

Even if you're a warrior/hunter who tracks them right to the point where their footprints stop, they could just sit there hidden, recovering stamina, and you'd never be able to see them.  Then they stand, sneak out, hide again...and you're back to square 1.

People could also cut logs and mine obsidian/glass with very little risk, since you could just sit there and hide to recover the stamina you lost.

And yes, city-folk get to use sneak+hide with no stamina penalty, but once you get them running (if they aren't a city-elf), they start losing that stamina and they have to recover it while visible.

That's just three examples.  I'm sure there are plenty more.

I've had several non-delf rangers that were highly succesful and never rode.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Synthesis on August 05, 2010, 12:23:50 AM
Even if you're a warrior/hunter who tracks them right to the point where their footprints stop, they could just sit there hidden, recovering stamina, and you'd never be able to see them.  Then they stand, sneak out, hide again...and you're back to square 1.

Rangers ought to pwn warriors in the stealth game in the wilderness. It really should take scan to beat it, not a combination of subguild tracking and OOC knowledge of how stamina regen rates work. The warrior should be scratching his head, saying, 'Well, I dunno, guys! The trail leads here, but I don't see him anywhere!' Not, 'Okay guys, he's out of breath and in those bushes over there. Let's all pile up in this clearing and wait for him to get bored.'

People could also cut logs and mine obsidian/glass with very little risk, since you could just sit there and hide to recover the stamina you lost.

Well, yeah. They should be able to get there safely if they are wilderness stealth masters, but the wisdom in dragging bags of obsidian or agafari logs by hand when it could be better accomplished by an inix or friendly half-giant is debatable. However, I don't think it is twinkish or unreasonable to leave your logs out in the open while you scramble into the bushes to rest up out of sight.

And yes, city-folk get to use sneak+hide with no stamina penalty, but once you get them running (if they aren't a city-elf), they start losing that stamina and they have to recover it while visible.

True! And I think human thieves ought to be able to stick with the crowd, walking along slowly to catch their breath once the heat isn't right on their tails anymore!

If maxed stealth skills didn't completely outclass every mundane form of detection, I would tend to agree.

However, I've successfully used sneak+hide to move all the way from the Blackwing Outpost to Tuluk without being detected.  I once used sneak+hide in the city for 100 consecutive rooms without breaking my hide status.  Maxed scan is basically useless against anyone with decent agility or using camouflage.  You can shadow people right past clan guards, right through their apartment doorways, and you can get into places that by all rights nobody should be able to get into, no matter how sneaky they think they are.

Stealth skills are already ridiculously overpowered, man.  There is absolutely no sense in making them even more powerful.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 05, 2010, 12:44:46 AM
Stealth skills are already ridiculously overpowered, man.  There is absolutely no sense in making them even more powerful.

Yeah.  What Synthesis said.

Well, I do agree that the city form of stealth is especially powerful. Wilderness stealth is crazy powerful if you are a d elf. And yeah, it is possible to move long distance stealthy as a human ranger if you play a few tricks to ameliorate the dangerous situation of resting in the open on a clear day, but the tricks again are situational. What's more, they are certainly not obvious to casual players! I don't want to reveal IC information, but I think you know what I am talking about. Still, the fact is, a human ranger, master of wilderness survival and stealth, can't safely cut a straight path through open wilderness without taking a chance that somebody might happen by while he's cooling his heels.

We can agree to disagree. I think it would open up new possibilities more than make existing ones more powerful. It is true that scan is rather weak against stealth at high levels, but I don't think this is a good argument for why people should be forced out of hiding to rest.

QuoteStill, the fact is, a human ranger, master of wilderness survival and stealth, can't safely cut a straight path through open wilderness without taking a chance that somebody might happen by while he's cooling his heels.

The way I've always played it, and had decent success with it, is don't bother trying to use it like a desert elf ranger does.  They're completely different.  A human ranger uses it as I think it should be...short distances to stalk, short distances to scout, to lay ambushes, and so on.  In that case, sure, the stealth skills are not so overpowered, but they're reasonable in that way.  It's the desert-elf stealth that broke it, so that they can essentially move over -enormous- distances without ever coming out of stealth, and in the case of pursuit, can simply disappear using it, or at the very least, get to a place where no one else can go for whatever reason.

Human ranger stealth = awesome.  Desert elf stealth = broken, and whenever I encounter it I feel like the other is cheating or abusing something even when they're not.

Good thing human rangers require no karma to play, whereas desert elves do. Otherwise you might have a point.
The man wears his heavy war-saddle on his back, covering a tattoo

Crawling up on all fours, the man sits on a sturdy bed

The man sends you a telepathic message:
     "Alright, you got to tame a wild one today."

Quote from: Kiara on August 05, 2010, 01:31:45 AM
Good thing human rangers require no karma to play, whereas desert elves do. Otherwise you might have a point.

Um, what does karma have to do with whether or not people of all races and guilds can regen stamina while standing? Are you suggesting that I should play a d elf ranger if I want to walk alone in the wilderness? Because yeah, no shit, but no matter how much karma you have, you can't have a character that can slowly catch their breath while standing.

Besides, d elfs are not karma restricted because they are powerful. Dwarves are similarly powerful, but any noob gets to play them. Heck, humans are plenty powerful, too! And they are the race that you would throw all the noobs in, if one were to make such a tight restriction. D elves are karma restricted because they are held to a higher standard as far as adherence to documentation. Just think, what if a noob could roll up a d elf and then accidentally wander into a city?

Quote from: Kiara on August 05, 2010, 01:31:45 AM

Don't get snarky.  I was pointing out that the way desert elves use stealth is tremendously more powerful, and to not try to play a human ranger the same way.  Stealth on a human ranger is still powerful but must be utilized differently.

Quote from: Armaddict on August 05, 2010, 01:26:57 AM

The way I've always played it, and had decent success with it, is don't bother trying to use it like a desert elf ranger does.  They're completely different.  A human ranger uses it as I think it should be...short distances to stalk, short distances to scout, to lay ambushes, and so on.  In that case, sure, the stealth skills are not so overpowered, but they're reasonable in that way.  It's the desert-elf stealth that broke it, so that they can essentially move over -enormous- distances without ever coming out of stealth, and in the case of pursuit, can simply disappear using it, or at the very least, get to a place where no one else can go for whatever reason.

Human ranger stealth = awesome.  Desert elf stealth = broken, and whenever I encounter it I feel like the other is cheating or abusing something even when they're not.

Yeah, what you're describing is the way your garden variety human ranger will make use of his stealth skills on a daily basis, and yeah, I do agree it seems like a more realistic way for stealth to work, though I am not a hunter myself. When I think of d elf running abilities, the closest RL example I think of is persistence hunting. That is, people who have developed the ability to run and hunt on foot over long distances. These people are hardly hidden from their prey though. However, I think what d elves have is meant to be beyond this; it's actually a biological adaptation to desert survival. They take to running like a horse.

In the end, it's a fantasy game so I don't sweat it too much.

Quote from: Armaddict on August 05, 2010, 01:51:20 AM
Stealth on a human ranger is still powerful but must be utilized differently.

You're absolutely correct. A race that has lived in the wastes for countless generations will have adapted to the harsh living conditions in some fashion.

I guess I don't see what your beef with the inherent differences is.

I cringe at what you might say if desert elves were still capable of having 400+ mvs  :P

August 05, 2010, 03:17:51 AM #28 Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:22:19 AM by Armaddict
You mean before you could stay hidden while moving?

I don't...know where you're going with your responses.  You're agreeing but in the most accusatory way I've ever been agreed with.

Quote from: Armaddict on August 05, 2010, 03:17:51 AM
You're agreeing but in the most accusatory way I've ever been agreed with.

We agree that you have to play human rangers differently. I disagree with your contention that this is a problem.

August 05, 2010, 05:39:24 AM #30 Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:45:59 AM by Drayab
I disagree that giving everyone a small standing stamina regen is going to homogenize how human and d elf rangers stealth abilities are utilized.

Human rangers will still prefer mounts for combat, hunting and otherwise. The mount is a powerful ally for the human ranger with the recent changes to mounted combat, and a smart human will need very good reasons to give that up. D elves will still have the advantage of being able to choose whether to fight, flee, or watch. If a mountless human ranger is discovered by a d elf ranger, he is still shitting himself because that elf can still run much further and much faster than him. The elf is still in control of that situation.

What I would expect to change is that human rangers would be able to walk into the wilderness with acceptable odds of being able to pass through undetected, however slowly they are forced to travel. Human rangers would have a better chance of seeing the elf before the elf sees him since the resting inix is no longer a dead giveaway, but elves would still have an advantage in this regard because they can go much further without stopping.  And yeah, you'd no longer be able to camp a tired, hidden ranger while you wait for friends to come or else he gets bored and tries to fight his way out. Actually, you would still be able to camp him, but you wouldn't be able to do it indefinitely.

Recovering stamina should be a function of time with your stance a modifier. It shouldn't be simply turned off when you're not sitting/resting/sleeping.

Makes no sense.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Jane Shephard, it actually makes perfect sense. What doesn't make sense is the idea that you need to stop and lay down or sit somewhere to catch your breath, especially for characters who are (presumably) in good physical condition.

Compromise:

Stance becomes a modifier, not an on/off switch.  However, in most terrain (including the most fabled regen-friendly regions) your only chance of regenerating stamina while standing is after the sun goes down.

If you don't catch that ranger before sunset, you've probably lost him you're crow bait.  Kah?

Well, I wouldn't go with a night/day toggle on whether you can catch your breath while standing. I think that over simplifies the situation. Whether or not you can catch your breath should depend on things like ambient temperature, weather conditions, the endurance statistic, and terrain. I mean, that's how it is already, yeah? It's intuitive, and I wouldn't want to see that changed. Presumably, there would be some set of conditions whereby you could regain stamina by resting but not standing. For example, you're a pretty tough guy that can soldier on in even the searing heat, but with this sandstorm up, even you have to huddle down to catch your breath. Even better, get the tent out! And if the tent is tall enough, you can stand in it while you catch your breath.  :P

Quote from: Drayab on August 05, 2010, 09:52:22 AM
Well, I wouldn't go with a night/day toggle on whether you can catch your breath while standing. I think that over simplifies the situation. Whether or not you can catch your breath should depend on things like ambient temperature, weather conditions, the endurance statistic, and terrain.

Agreed, in principle.  I don't mean it should be a toggle; I do mean that it should be calibrated so that daytime is almost invariably a no-regen time unless you're resting.  That's a way to reduce the possible impact of the change on "balance."

Realism dictates that standing up, you catch your breath quicker, but you're all mud nerds, wouldn't know anything about running.  ;)
Oh, and this is a fantasy world, forgot that.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Actually, walking allows you to catch your breath faster after running... but that's catching your breath and not allowing the muscles to re-oxygenate.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

This is one of those things that, I think, requires some sacrifice in the realism department, though I always found it odd that there is absolutely no stamina regeneration while standing.  Giving back 1 point per 'tick' (assuming the character isn't in combat) regardless of race or endurance seems pretty harmless to me, given the number of points it takes to move anywhere in the desert.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: FightClub on August 05, 2010, 03:06:43 PM
Realism dictates that standing up, you catch your breath quicker, but you're all mud nerds, wouldn't know anything about running.  ;)

Nerd jokes aside, I know that how tired I am from running determines how much I want to change my posture to help rest up. You know, it goes like: hands on hips -> hunched over hands on knees -> sitting on the bench -> laying on the ground.

Whether or not there are medically sound reasons the body wants to do that? I dunno, but everybody seems to have the same natural reaction to being out of breath.

But yeah, it's a fantasy game. I don't argue in favor of this for the sake of realism, but because it would enable me to have more fun.

Quote from: Drayab on August 05, 2010, 10:11:36 PM
Quote from: FightClub on August 05, 2010, 03:06:43 PM

Nerd jokes aside, I know that how tired I am from running determines how much I want to change my posture to help rest up. You know, it goes like: hands on hips -> hunched over hands on knees -> sitting on the bench -> laying on the ground.

Whether or not there are medically sound reasons the body wants to do that? I dunno, but everybody seems to have the same natural reaction to being out of breath.

But yeah, it's a fantasy game. I don't argue in favor of this for the sake of realism, but because it would enable me to have more fun.

Your body also tells you to put your penis in everything you see.
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I've always thought that if you're going to be a ranger heading any significant distance out into the wilds -without- a mount, then it's definitely in your best interest to make sure you've got a tent with you...

Quote from: manipura on August 08, 2010, 12:00:44 PMI've always thought that if you're going to be a ranger heading any significant distance out into the wilds -without- a mount, then it's definitely in your best interest to make sure you've got a tent with you...
I don't think you should teach people how to play a certain class over the GDB by using specifics like this.

If you want to play a successful, unmounted ranger, it will not be easy.  You will need patience.  You will need to ALWAYS pay attention and be careful, making sure to prepare better than any other character need prepare.  Also keep in mind your encumbrance, because you want to carry a bunch of stuff with you but still don't want to be weighed down.  Playing a successful, unmounted ranger will also take game knowledge, so if you're not very experienced with the game world's geography, you will find it harder than one that is experienced.

By no means am I wanting to enter into any sort of pissing contest with you, spawnloser..but how was my response a lesson in playing certain classes?  If the character I am playing is a ranger-type who will be out of a city for an extended period, isn't it just common sense that some sort of portable shelter (which is readily available IG) would be helpful?

(And all I'm doing here is asking a question, so please don't take this as some huge opportunity to bash me...)

Spawnloser, you bash her for mentioning tents and then lecture about endurance?

Leeloo is a maxed out assassin/vivaduan desert elf.

I think that's what Chuci is trying to tell you all.

/random elf post
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I mentioned no specifics, only general concepts that everyone should be worried about.  I only mentioned those general concepts that someone should be especially mindful of in one sort of situation.  The first line of my post was, by no means, me trying to have a pissing contest.  I was just making a comment.  I'll explain it better below...

So, that comment and the sentiment behind it:  specifics, I think, are best learned in game and are more fun when learned in game.  Specifics get all sorts of complicated when it comes down to roleplay and individuality.  A tent, for example is one of those things that you actually could debate the usefulness of, and whether it is useful for your character or not really is something that comes down to multiple factors, not just if you're playing a non-riding ranger.  Non-riding rangers will all differ when it comes to stats and sub-guilds, so what will be best for one may not be best for another.  In cases like this, I think general advice is best, instead of giving specific (possibly character- or style-specific) advice which may not apply.  How much water should your character carry, what sorts of weapons, what sorts of gear, where should s/he operate out of, blah, blah, blah.  These are all specifics and you shouldn't tell people how to do this, because when one specific thing changes, others can become non-relevant.

Allow resting after a few ticks of having been hidden. Any further movement takes you out of hiding, and you can't actually begin to hide while resting and sitting. That would allow recovery in hiding, which should totally be possible, while preventing things like sitting down on a chair and then hiding.

Spawnloser just posts for the sake of posting, and argues for exactly the same. He has no real belief in anything. It's why you catch him being hypocritical constantly.

Quote from: FightClub on August 26, 2010, 03:07:31 AMSpawnloser just posts for the sake of posting, and argues for exactly the same. He has no real belief in anything. It's why you catch him being hypocritical constantly.
How little you know and how little you understand.  I actually have very strong beliefs, which is why I post at all.  Try picking a fight elsewhere, though.

Quote from: spawnloser on August 26, 2010, 04:56:38 AM
Quote from: FightClub on August 26, 2010, 03:07:31 AMSpawnloser just posts for the sake of posting, and argues for exactly the same. He has no real belief in anything. It's why you catch him being hypocritical constantly.
How little you know and how little you understand.  I actually have very strong beliefs, which is why I post at all.  Try picking a fight elsewhere, though.

I understand a lot, like your 7,000 post count, because you want your name on every single thread in the forums, first and last. I could look through a thousand suggestion threads, and I can guarantee spawnloser is going to be arguing against whatever idea is not his own.

Quote from: FightClub on August 26, 2010, 06:15:48 AM

I understand a lot, like your 7,000 post count, because you want your name on every single thread in the forums, first and last. I could look through a thousand suggestion threads, and I can guarantee spawnloser is going to be arguing against whatever idea is not his own.

To quote you from another forum....

Quote from: FightClubBtw this isn't arm, or soi. We don't start flame wars just for the sake of it. Maintain some civility, and maturity, kids.

You're certainly not helping much on our end, buddy.

Quote from: FightClub on August 26, 2010, 06:15:48 AM

No, he's going to argue against things he agrees with. Most people post nothing if they agree with the idea.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 26, 2010, 06:21:50 AM
Quote from: FightClubBtw this isn't arm, or soi. We don't start flame wars just for the sake of it. Maintain some civility, and maturity, kids.

You're certainly not helping much on our end, buddy.

Traitor...

You're going completely off-topic.  You're completely misinterpreting the data you have available to you.  You're flaming/trolling.

The rules of the forum state that we shouldn't engage in back-and-forth with people who are trolling/flaming. Report and move on, please. Here's me helping you do that.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

And here's me banning the initiator and responders.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.